Saturday 16 September 2023

Man's Best Friend

 Are you a dog lover?   Thinking of folk I know,  friends, neighbours - it seems equally divided - some are cat lovers, some are dog lovers, some have no wish to own either.   An exception is one of my carers,W, who has three Chihuahuas, three Bengal cats and an ancient German Shepherd quite close to the end of his life but, like so many pets, is kept in a decrepit (but painless seemingly) condition because neither she nor her husband can bear to 'let him go'.  They should be so lucky - we humans - supposedly the superior breed- have no choice in the matter - but that is another subject altogether.

The farmer had a succession of sheepdogs including (before my time) an Old English Sheepdog - much loved by everyone I understand.   One night he disappeared and they found him the next day in the farthest barn - he had gone away to die.   Similarly we had farm cats and one of them - a tabby called Ernest- became a family favourite.   Everyone loved Ernest.   One day the old chap lay in the middle of the path to the food hut, where the farm cats slept at the time.   The farmer stopped and stroked him but he made no attempt to get up, just raised his head for a stroke.   The farmer came in for a box and a blanket, knowing the old cat was ill, but when he went back Ernest had gone.   He left the box in the hut but next morning he found Ernest under the shed - he had gone there to die alone.

A couple of years before my first husband died, after we had at  last been able to move to the countryside, my husband suggested we get a dog.  I agreed and we bought a white English Bull Terrier, a breed (and colour) my husbnd had always admired.   We discussed getting the breed with our vet who said he strongly advised we get a bitch rather than a dog as we were new to owning a dog.  She was always a rather ''remote' dog - however hard we tried to make friends with her she always 'kept her distance' and - when she was six months old she bit my husband  as he bent  to put her food bowl down.  On the advice of our vet we had  her euthanized the same day.  My husband was desperately upset for a long time afterwards.  We found out that she was the 'runt' of a litter of 12 pups and had had to fight every day for her food.  We should have known better - new to dog ownership we should have looked into it much more carefully.

And so to so called "Designer Dogs".  Breeds come and go to take that spot.   At one time it was "handbag dogs" - women - fashionably dressed and with grossly expensive designer handbags and a similarly fashionable designer dog peeping out of it.

But now things have got much more frightening.  American XL Bully dogs have reared their ugly heads and gained popularity amongst a certain section of the community.   In one week  two people - a boy and a girl ended up in hospital after being chased and attacked by the bre ed and then on Thursday a man was attacked for twenty minutes while people tried to drive the dog away with sticks.  But sadly to no avail and the  man died of his injuries.

Who is to blame?   We can say the dog should not have been off his leash.  But whatever we say - the fact remains the dogs on the whole behave as they are trained to behave.   And training of this particular breed - and other similar breeds for they are not the only culprits - probably needs professional advice.   I look at the big German Shepherd dogs owned by the police - two live quite close to where I live - they are beautiful dogs and I have no doubt their trainer/handler is very fond of them (and they of him).   But make no mistake they know what they can and can't do and their obedience is 100% ALWAYS.

Apparently folk in the know say it will be hard to ban them - to some extent because of cross-breeding.   Where does one stop?   A thorny problem.  But no dog is worth a human life or a child badly injured and most likely terrified of dogs for many years to come.

26 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

Apparently those XL dogs can weigh 9 stone - must cost a fortune to feed.
I'm right off dogs after moving here - there are far too many in this village and the people who walk by with them never look happy - they are usually on their phone.
What's the point I wonder?

jinxxxygirl said...

I've had many dogs in my life ... a poodle being my first dog , German Shephard, Husky mix, Collie, but the one that is well remembered and dearly loved and missed was our Rottweiler. My daughter was 3 or 4 when she was given to us. The family that owned her before decided they wanted a different breed and could tell how much we loved her so one day they presented us with her leash , dog bowl and food. She was AKC registered Lady Morgan Weaver. lol They told us when their youngest child was little Morgan would walk up and down the hallway letting the child hold on to her while he learned to walk..

We no longer have animals... Hubs is allergic although he truly would like to have one.. The house feels very empty without one.. Hugs! debs

Heather said...

I have always loved dogs. I stop people walking their dog and ask if it is friendly and can I stroke it. Pets are not permitted in the flats where I live, and I doubt I could take proper care of a dog anyway, now that my mobility is diminishing. I think that some dogs are not intended to be household pets and their owners should probably be vetted before taking on ownership. I have come across quite a few owners who have no idea of how to train their dogs, and like children, it is necessary to teach them how to behave properly in public.
I was horrified to hear about the man who died and the child who had been attacked by dogs who are bred for fighting. Maybe it is time to bring back dog licenses.

Barbara Anne said...

We're dog people and have had 3, then 4 cats after the mother appeared at our door crying and in labor, proceeding to have 3 kittens in a box and on a towel we provided.

What I find horrible in addition to training huge dogs to be cruel, is dogs bred to have squashed in faces and resulting airway problems. That's no fair!

Hugs!

JayCee said...

I cannot have a pet of any description due to allergies but I also had a frightening experience as a child with a gang of local dogs that used to roam the streets of our estate. The recent reports of these dog attacks is quite disturbing and I cannot imagine the horror that poor man endured before he died.

thelma said...

Well there is not going to be a mass cull of this particular type of dog. Just the usual training, neutering and keeping on the lead. It is very, very sad that this man and others were killed by dogs but in the end we have to look to the owners and see that they are imprisoned for owning dangerous dogs.

Will said...

I am reminded of the car stickers that appear in the run-up to Christmas - "a dog is for life, not Just Christmas". There should have been a similar message about people getting dogs during the lockdowns, with no though of how that dog would react when effectively abandoned during the day when the owners went back to work, after having had all that attention before. Fortunately, we are lucky with our neighbours as those that do have dogs have made sure to properly train them, including one retired farmer with a beautifully trained Collie, who was a model of obedience.

Jennifer said...

I love dogs and have two currently, as you know. Our 10 year old, George, is a pit bull mix (lots of the shelter dogs around here are pit bull mixes and he came from a shelter) and has aged into just the sweetest boy. BUT, he's big and strong and powerful, and he wants to chase cats and small dogs, so we NEVER have him outside the fence without leashing him. I can't imagine him hurting a person, but cats he just won't tolerate. My other dog, Poppy, is a hound mix, and also very sweet and affectionate. She LOVES other dogs and can meet them nicely, but we still don't ever take her out without a leash. You just never know what can happen.

AS for being a "dog" or a "cat" person, the truth is that while I prefer dogs, I like cats pretty well, too. Unfortunately I'm allergic to them, and with George around a cat as a pet isn't possible anyway.

Anonymous said...

Dog lover here! Jackie

Gigi said...

I think I am more of a cat person, but no longer have one.. I have had a chihuahua two samoyeds, a mongrel and a coton de tulear at present. The Samoyed girls were very good with little kids, the mongrel was very smart and very loyal, the coton de tulear is a nice size, stubborn but cuddly, and the chihuahua was very snappy, he bit us. I would love to have a cat but I live on a busy street and it would have to be an indoor cat but I would be afraid it would get out when the dog goes out back. Also don’t want to deal with kitty litter again.. I had 2 siamese and one Persian cat at the same time many years ago. I got a bite on my rear end from a friend’s german shepherd. Apparently I got too close to her.

Susan said...

To my regret I feel I wasn't a good pet owner until I retired. Lack of time and being overwhelmed by family issues made it all hard work with very little pleasure for me or the poor dog. I have two small dogs now and adore them. They keep me entertained and take me for healthy walks regularly. People mostly go into pet ownership with good intentions but it doesn't always work out. I think there is embarrasment and a sense of failure, private and public, which deters people from surrending pets but it could be the best thing you ever do for them.

Granny Sue said...

I had not heard of this breed, but how terrible they must be. The owners must be scared little people indeed to feel it necessary to own such an animal. Much the same as those who feel it necessary to carry a gun. Can't understand it at all myself. I love dogs, have 3 at present, and one old cat who thinks he's a dog. But I will not have a dog that bites. My house, my rules, and my dogs are pretty good st staying within them.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting answers - hope there are more overnight - am on my way to bed.

gz said...

It isn't just this sort of aggressive dog breed that needs attention...it is the dog breeders and owners.

The Nederlands have just outlawed the breeding of short nosed dogs...many have been bred away from their original shape, so that they cannot breathe or see properly, cannot give birth properly.
Dogs have been bred with a job in mind. Many no longer have this job, but still have the characteristics for their work ingrained..so it is cruel to keep them as just pets.
One looks at these aggressive breeds and crossbreeds..and wonder for what end have they been designed?

Anonymous said...

Cat person here.
Our present cat came to us appearing on the doorstep desperate and starving.
He also attempt to bite when being fed not knowing where his next meal was coming from.
I could see even then that he was intelligent and beautiful.
He is a most lovely boy, neutered now and adores being covered in kisses and hugs. He craves them, and loves living with us, his two oldie people.
Re dogs - I wish people would put a lead on their dog while exercising. We really can't trust how good you say your dog is, when we have little children around under our care. Dogs can be unpredictable unfortunately, and even a friendly dog off-leash, rushing fast in your direction can be terrifying when you are a tiny tot. Common sense really, but people look huffy ,or downright dismissive when asked, and don't comply. - Pam.

Susan said...

I love dogs and have owned many. I've had cats too. Currently, I have Caesar a Bernese Mountain dog. When a dog is a problem, I look at the owner.

JennyP said...

I believe that there are laws in Australia banning American pit bulls and other similar dogs. There are still occasional dog attacks, usually on children, always there are people that should never have dogs!

Damselfly said...

Cats & dogs have been in my life since I was born. These days, I'm the well-trained staff of 3 cats, and the days of dog ownership are in the rear-view mirror.
Dogs that attack people should be euthanized.
The dog owner should be held to account via hefty fines, criminal charges, and imprisonment.
Well-behaved, safe dogs are a product of good training and good control by decent humans.
To echo GZ's comment...
One looks at these aggressive breeds and crossbreeds..and wonder for what end have they been designed?

Joanne Noragon said...

I prefer cats, but have had some mighty fine dogs in my life, too.

Brenda said...

Never heard of this breed. Looks like pit bull. Whew

Cro Magnon said...

Personally I think all the Pit Bull type dogs, and crosses, should be banned. However much training they receive, they can 'snap' at any moment; and very often do. It's simply in their DNA.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Damselfly - well put! Do agree with what you say.

We are all of one mind and I would guess that ost folk would agree with us.

Thank you all for sharing your views.

Rachel Fox said...

Hi Pat,
Do you remember Zoe, our Border Terrier, from when we all came to visit you (and Tess) some years back? Zoe made it to 15 and a half and we just said goodbye to her on Friday.
Love to you and all the family
x

Tom Stephenson said...

Me a dog lover? Not arf. Bring back dog licenses I say.

Pixie said...

My grandson's aunt and uncle breed bullies. Last summer, one of the dogs attacked and killed my grandson's, mother's cat. I don't trust them.

We have rescues. Right now they're playing by my feet, chewing on each other's necks. I love dogs but they are a lot of work and the dog hair, everywhere.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - yes I do remember you calling to see us at the farm. David has now been dead for six years - I still miss him every day bt at 90 I am still going reasonably strong (with carers) and the farm has been sold long ago. Happy days. Sorry to hear Zoe has gone - the downside of having dogs.