Wednesday 23 May 2018

Wednesday

Only one word to describe today's weather here in North Yorkshire, East of the Pennines - cold.   There is a haar coming in off the North Sea (Poor Thelma must be suffering more than we are here - North Stoke on my sidebar).   It is set to get better this afternoon although I doubt it will at the moment as there is a sharp cold wind blowing and the sky is cloudy.   As children we used to argue about whether 'Ne'er cast a clout 'til May be out' referred to the end of the month or the arrival of the May blossom.   Well I have seen some May blossom out today at the end of my neighbours garden but there is still a week to go to the end of the month, so I shall hedge my bets and keep my thermal vest on (sorry if that is too much information - although small fry by today's standards).

I was up with the lark this morning and into town before nine o'clock to do my last minute shopping for friends coming to stay tomorrow morning.  Back home by ten I had run out of steam so sat down for an hour with The Times and a Bounty Bar I had bought myself. Nothing like being a bit self-indulgent is there?

I took Tess for her morning walk very early and friend S usually takes her this afternoon and has said she will be here just before two,  and how Tess enjoys that.   She jumps for joy when she sees S arrive.   My cleaning lady is also coming this afternoon so I shall be pretty superfluous.

14 comments:

Librarian said...

You, superfluous?! Only when it comes to your cleaning lady, I hope!
Aah, a Bounty bar every now and then is a treat, isn't it! Do you know the ice cream version? I sometimes buy them at Aldi's and stick them in the small freezer compartment of my fridge (otherwise largely unused). Some nights after tea I have one for dessert.

We've had thunder and hail yesterday afternoon and some (very little) rain this morning. Now the sun is coming through, and I have just arranged to meet my sister after work for a stroll in town, maybe our Mum will join us, too.

Tom Stephenson said...

Do you imagine yourself strolling along a white, palm-fringed beach in a sarong when you eat your Bounty? Oh no, I forgot. It's cold where you are right now.

Heather said...

Keep warm and conserve your energy for when your guests arrive, and enjoy that Bounty bar!

Rachel Phillips said...

I believe Norfolk is the coldest place today.

Mac n' Janet said...

We've had rain, rain and more rain all of May and more it forecast.

donna baker said...

Up with the lark - I love your descriptive style Pat. May should have no cold days. It is starting to heat up here and I have to garden in the morning or evening. Of course, I bend over in my summer dresses like I did at the farm where no one was around. Neighbors will just have to look away.

thelma said...

Well though it was cold this morning, the sun is through now. Yesterday the wind was strong, shaking the trees, scattering new leaves. Living next to the church I can always orientate myself N/E/S/W but those bitter N/E winds must roll in from the coast but my tomato plants are surviving outside!

Bea said...

We seem to be back to a more normal climate here: drizzly, chilly & a bit windy. (I actually like it.)

Enjoy your house-guests!

angryparsnip said...

You are never Superfluous !

cheers, parsnip

Joanne Noragon said...

Superfluous--love that word. Super fluous. Super running over.

Gwil W said...


Snap, I also keep my vest on till May has gone.

I can remember when I was a child being shouted at for not wearing it. Now I don't need telling twice.

Strange how life changes.


Anonymous said...

I cast my clout last week but it's back on this week and as we are heading for your county soon I’m revising my packing
after reading your comments!
I hope you have a lovely time with your visitors and that the sun shines even if it's chilly.
Sue

Julie B said...

Your blog is simply the most wonderful thing I get to read each day. Absolutely delightful in every detail, I love it.
Julie B

Bless said...

I hope it warms up, soon, for you. I truly enjoy reading about your days and admire you for all what you do. I hope you enjoyed your Bounty bar; we have something very similar, here, in the US, called Mounds, and that's one of my favorite chocolates.