Tuesday 16 January 2024

Dulce Domum.

 These days my brain does not seem to be fuctioning enough to read anything of any depth.  I read The Times, do the Mind Games, put on a post when I can think of something to post about and then if I don't watch out subside into a semi-stupor in this weather.  Today, determined not to do that, I c arefully ordered my Red File (if you haven't got one (or a yellow envelope which pre dates red files) it is probably because you are not yet on the endangered list (makes me sound like a rare mountain lion or something doesn't it).  It is to be displayed in a prominent place in the hallway (on Welsh Dresser in my case) the DNR form (do not resuscitate) clearly showing for any visiting Ambulance man to snatch up in passing.

However, fighting fit today - just lacking the will to do anything other than sprawl - I picked up one of my 'go to' books when my brain is in neutral.  Kenneth Graham's 'Wind in the Willows' (with Ernest Shepard's illustrations) and turned to read one of my favourite chapters: Dulce Domum.  Perfect for today.  (Now really raining)

After a jolly day out together in mid winter Mole and Ratty have said goodbye to Otter and are off home to the fireside.   They pass through a village as darkness falls and look in the windows where families are sitting round their log fires - Dads are knocking their pipes out on logs, children are playing games, the family is sitting round a table having tea, a cat is being stroked.

They carry on, out in the countryside again and suddenly Mole catches a faint whiff of his old home and despite his happy new life with Ratty, Badger, Toad et al, he is desperately homesick.   He tries and tries to not weep but can't help it.

To cut a long chapter short Ratty insists on taking him there.  They go in, Mole dusts the furniture while Ratty lights a log fire. Before they can eat the meagre store cupboard food the field mice arrive carol singing, are invited in and because this is 1908 in "Willows Land" all the shops are still open a mouse is despatched by Ratty (with money and don't spoil it by asking where he keeps it) for all kinds of goodies.   They eat a hearty meal, the mice depart and Ratty and Mole hop into the two  bunks, pull up the blankets and are asleep.

For a while I bask in the delightful scene that has been painted.   Then I think of Gaza and the children and the image disappears.   And to add insult to injury it has begun to snow again bigger, faster and heavier flakes.

30 comments:

hart said...

You may say your brain is not functioning right, but this is a nice piece of writing. That scene in Wind in the Willows always makes me tear up.

Barbara Anne said...

Thank you for taking us to the tranquility of Willows Land. It's a good day here for being inside,too, as we have freezing rain over ice outside.

"Dulce et decorum est desipere in loco." Meaning, 'It is pleasant and proper to be foolish once in a while.'

Sad, sad to think of the world's children who are in peril and to feel so helpless.

Hugs!

Derek Faulkner said...

As you know Pat, that is my favourite book of all time and easily my go to book as well. What a lovely chapter "Dulce Domum" is and quite emotional when Ratty won't stop for Mole as he gets a whiff of his house.
My next favourite chapter is "Wild Wood" - it's a terrific book.
We've just had our third day of clear blue skies and sunshine here, although it's very cold, but at least it's lovely and dry.

Jennifer said...

What a coincidence....I re-read that chapter of Wind in the Willows last night when I was having trouble falling asleep. It's always soothing to me, and is probably my favorite chapter as well.

Jan said...

You inspired me to start reading Wind in the Willows again! I hadn't read it since I read it to my daughter when she was little. She's almost 44, so it's been quite a while! I needed something quiet and gentle to read-thank you!

Granny Sue said...

I need to read that book. When my sons were very little I would read them a chapter every night. How they loved Toad's motorcar! I can remember so little of the story, I believe it will be all new to me except that tiny part.
Gaza is heartbreaking. I am thankful to have no TV service so that I do not have to see the terrible images. I have read that when we hear something horrific rather than see it, our minds will only create images we can bear. I don't know if that is true, but I think it is so for me. Even not seeing them, the cries of those children echo in my head. The poor little babies. No child should have to endure such horror and pain.

Anonymous said...

I need to re-read The Wind in the Willows! I recall finding it a bit scary as a child and didn't read it to my kids. Thanks for the reminder!

Ceci

Susan said...

You are rare and precious. Two posts in a row to soothe our souls. My favourite chapter in Wind in the Willows is when they search for the baby otter and find him asleep with Pan.

Susan said...

Your blog post is a lovely piece of writing showing wonderful sentiments. Children should not endure pain and sacrifice of war. Yet, the current circumstance continues as the world watches. When will it end?

diana said...

Yes lovely post and respect to you for holding the Gazans in your heart

Boud said...

The little mouse carol singers are one of my favorite passages in this book.
And yes, that feeling of anger and helplessness at the situation of little children in Gaza.

Anonymous said...

I’ve avoided the Wind in the Willows since childhood. Never read it to my child. I think my first impression was of damp and gloom in an unpleasant place, but your selection paints such a warm, lovely picture that I will have to try to read it. Thank you. Olivia in the PNW, US.

Gill said...

I love Wind in the Willows and have the same copy as you. I often go back and re-read it as it cheers me up no end. Hugs Gill Xx

Damselfly said...

Such a beautiful & comforting scene from Wind in the Willows.
Your post of yesterday & today painted lovely pictures and were so, so soothing.
Thank you, dear lovely Pat.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Well now, I'm off to pull my Wind in the Willows book and read that chapters. It doesn't perfect for this overcast snowy day. Stay cozy and thanks for the cheer.

Tracy said...

It's a lovely book and a go to favourite for me too.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Susan - my son's favourite chapter too.

Derek - It has snowed here all day and is bitterly cold. Lovely sky at dawn and until rooks had dispersed - all downhill after that.

Anonymous said...

Wind In the Willows is a great favorite of mine, along with Winnie the Pooh. If only all children could grow up in tranquil homes with parents who love them more than anything, hearing gentle stories at bedtime, being tucked up warm and safe with full bellies.

Daisy Debs said...

Thinking of you Weaves ! Keep yourself warm now , tomorrow will be a better day ! 💐 x

Bonnie said...

What a wonderful book! Thank you for sharing your words in such a comforting way. You write beautifully Pat! Now I too would like to reread this lovely book.

Red said...

I must read wind in the willows

Hilde said...

I definitely must reread Wind in the Willows. I read it to my sons about 30 years ago and I don´t remember much about it, only that we all loved the beautiful illustrations. Maybe I should try to get an English edition, because I´m not so sure about the German translation, but I will start with what I have got.

Librarian said...

Thank you for another beautiful post, Pat.

My family and I talked about what you call the Red File in earnest when it was clear that my Dad was so ill he was never going to recover. Since then, we all have filled in and signed forms that state what we want done (and what not), and who is to be contacted for any decision-making when we can't express our own decisions any longer.

The Wind in the Willows really sounds like a book I would enjoy greatly, I will look for it. My own turn-to books when I want something soothing are also children's books, never to be departed with since I owned them as a child.

Heather said...

Lovely memories of a wonderful book. The dream was so good while it lasted, wasn't it? Sadly we have to come down to earth with a jolt. Keep warm, and keeping reading wonderful books. We might as well try to escape the horrors of this world as there is little we can do about any of them. Ostrich? maybe, but I call it self preservation for the elderly.

gz said...

Thankyou for reminding us of that chapter.
We are missing most of the snow here but it is staying well below freezing point.

Tom Stephenson said...

Wind in the Willows is my go-to book as well. There is a very good audio recording on BBC iPlayer which I often listen to in bed. I love it.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tom thanks for the tip.
Heather I'll go with self-preservation too
Librarian. Wind in the Willows is a Classic and is perfect - do get a copy to read at bedtime chapter by chapter. It is not really a childrens' book unless read to them but it is wonderful bedtime story reading. Look what Tom says as an alternative.

Thank you everyone.

Sue said...

Thank you for this evocative post,I love it. I've always enjoyed Ratty lighting the fire, finding sardines, biscuits, German sausage and beer for their feast and then the field mice come to sing carols and Mole is so happy to be at Mole End.

What a book!

Sue

Terra said...

You have got me thinking maybe I will buy a copy of Wind in the Willows and the illustrated ed you mention. Peaceful reading is a blissful counterpoint to our world today. Have a peaceful week.

TotalfeckinEejit said...

Best bloody blog in the whole world!