Wednesday 9 August 2023

You can't do it anyway!

Most of my friends, acquaintances,  neighbours, callers, are ,let's say, "over sixties".   Sooner or later during the course of our chat we get talking about things along the lines of 'what is the world coming to?'   And not long afterwards  he or she (or they) will say -'I wouldn't want to be young now'.

I'm sure the same happens with you all.

Well, let'sface it, none of us could be, even if we wanted to be.   As Benjamin Franklin said - the only certainties in life are death and taxes (or something like that).

This week there have been a couple of programmes on BBC2 about the Mediterranean; not the Med that the giant cruise liners show you as you go around on your giant floating hotel (heaven forbid - never my choice of holiday) but the murkier side.  We went to the 'toe' of Italy - to Puglia- to Sicily, to Cyprus, to Lebanon, to The Gaza Strip, to Israel amongst other places  and let me tell you - the picture was not a pretty one.

It was one of old feuds going back many years, of religious differences, of huge  areas of poverty, of neglect, of evidence of war-torn areas long ago where no clearing and rebuilding had taken place, of complete absence of women on the streets anywhere but in the markets buying food to lug home in heavy bags to cook for their menfolk.   There was often a tense atmosphere,  sense of foreboding hanging in the air.   Nowhere was this more evident than in The Gaza Strip.   But there was nowhere anyone would have cared to go to on holiday, or in many cases could have gone had they wished to.

It was all proof that things have always been thus - there never has been a time when the world was a happy, peaceful place, where there was no religious hatred, or discrimation against races, religions, sexes.   There have always been areas of immense wealth and areas of the direst poverty, areas where folk are living lives of subsistence, where there have always been folk wondering where their next meal was coming from.

We can gloss over it by sailing into places like Venice, Cannes, Monte Carlo and the like on giant ocean liners where we can eat exotic meals and sleep in palatial cabins with fresh linen sheets every night but let's do it realising that we are never that far from the exact opposite.

Of course we can't go back - only forward.   And our children have by the very nature of their birth (and let' accept that most of our children, grand children and in my case - and some of yours too - great-grandchildren ) have been luckier than many many more in the world.

I have no desire to be any younger or any older than I am.   I shall continue to the end to be as mobile and as cheerful as I can be.   I abolutely refuse to feel sorry for myself - I might be 90 but I shall endeavour to still keep getting pleasure from the simple things in my life - my family, my friends, my carers, my garden, the dogs going past, their chatty owners, callers.   My window cleaner, C, has just been - cleaned my spider-cobweb-ridden garage window inside.   We had a chat while he did it and a laugh.   That's another little perk for today, along with my morning carer, my neighbour popping in for ten minutes, a lady further down the road bringing me half a dozen cherry tomatoes out of their greenhouse and a text from my gardener saying he will re-do my pansy tubs by the front door.   They have been in since March and are 'past their best' - will I trust him to get what he fancies?  (of course I will).

Sufficient unto the day say I.   Must sign off - W my evening carer has just come in the front door. 

See you tomorrow. 

14 comments:

sue p said...

You are an absolute inspiration with your determination to get the most out of life. I have just turned 60 and struggle sometimes.

Barbara Anne said...

Amen, to this post, Pat, and I hope to go out as you've written, cheerful and as mobile as possible. You're wise to remind us to appreciate the little things of life, hot tea or coffee in a favorite mug, sunshine, passers-by, flowers and wildflowers, comfy clothes in colors that please us, a furry head to pet if we're lucky, and dear friends near, far, in memories.

And new pansies in the pots by the front door!

Hugs!

Rachel Phillips said...

No need to worry about the children or grandchildren, they will take it all in their stride as normal. The worst place to be is probably the elderly right now, most of us bloggers, who have had a good life, the best for centuries, and are facing changes that we never thought possible and we are the ones having to adapt and change and if we don't we fall by the wayside.

JayCee said...

I am very aware that I have had a safe and comfortable life, despite my parents' very humble backgrounds.
When travelling I am also very conscious of the fact that many people in the regions I am visiting have not been so fortunate.
Sometimes I wonder what sort of life my young great nieces and nephews will see.

Joan (Devon) said...

Another saying, "There but for the grace of God go I".

Anonymous said...

Good post Pat! Keep on keeping on! x- Pam.

LouC said...

So spot on. I’ve been so very fortunate in my family and my world. I’ve never been rich in the old fashioned way of money but surely in all the private ways of everyday life and work. Now I’m learning day by day to navigate this new world alone and find you and your wonderful attitude a beacon. Thanks.

gmv said...

I thank you for sharing your wise philosophy on life as you age. I hope to do so as gracefully as you are doing.

the veg artist said...

I often find myself saying that I wouldn't want to be young now. Life seemed, if not easier, then more straightforward when I was young. I see so much confusion, denial of history, fear of debate and other constraints that the young seem to be putting on themselves (trigger warnings for Wuthering Heights and Shakespeare plays???), that I worry for how they will cope. Technology will always move on, but society seems to be going backwards.

Red said...

Lots of thought provoking ideas these days. Globalization has changed things. Communication and travel have allowed us more exposure to different things. I believe I have lived in the best of times.

Cro Magnon said...

I don't think it's just us oldies who fear for the future, I think younger people do too. Yes, the people of Gaza deserve better. The Hamas leaders spend all their money on constantly bombing Israel, and not looking after their own population. The Israelis used to be so kind to the people in Gaza, but they can't continue amongst all the aggression.

Librarian said...

You have so many Good in your life, and you appreciate it without taking it for granted, knowing full well that life is BAD for way too many people. My approach is similar; most days I am full of gratitude for what I have (meant not just materially), what I can do, where I live and how I can live my life. I know I am one of the fortunate ones.
At 55, I can realistically expect to live many more years, but of course I don't know what the future holds for me. All I can do is try to keep myself as healthy as possible for as long as possible, which should make things easier to bear even if they turn bad.

Jules said...

I love your pragmatic attitude to life, Pat. Xx

Poppy and Me said...

At night I always look back at my day and find 3 good things that have happened through the day.Then I sleep well. (another goodie).