Friday 25 August 2023

A Jolly Jaunt.

A nice trip out today - not very far.   The roads here are busy at this time of year, - third silage continues, it is The Wensleydale Show tomorrow (just behind my garden is the Car Park Field and beyond that the fields where the show takes place), there is holiday traffic now that the schools are well and truly 'on holiday' and there are walkers afoot.  In addition Friday is Market Day (both Auction Mart selling cattle and 'ordinary' Market' in the market square.

But by some accident my ordered meals for next  week when J, my main carer and supplier of my mid day meal each day is on holiday, failed to arrive.   So friends T and S drove me the four miles or so through Wensleydale to Swinithwaite to the Farm Shop and cafe where they had been ordered.

They were all ready but first we had a sandwich and a coffee. Then we fancied an ice cream.   I would just point out that T and S had not had their lunch (they have their main meal in the evening);  I had just eaten three sausages, four new potatoes and two tablespoonsful of chopped, cooked tomatoes.  But I still managed to find room for a cheese and pickle sandwich with coleslaw and leaves garnish.   T had ditto but chicken and chutney and S had a club sandwich with salad garnish.   We then each had an ice cream.   I shall definitely not want any more to eat today - I am sure you will agree.

Now my meals for next week are in the freezer and I shall not starve.

 We were in the opposite direction to the show but I am sure all the show tents and marquees are up and many of the cattle will already be there (someone will stay overnight with them).   The weather forecast, like today's is for cool with sunshine and showers but the showers seem mainly to be in the West and so far we have only seen a slight smattering of drops of water - so let's keep fingers crossed for tomorrow to be a similar day.

It does feel like Autumn here already and with the first of September only a week away and then the schools starting the Autumn Term  and teenagers setting out into the Big Wide World of College, Uni or Gap Year Activity, or first jobs, there always seems to be an 'all change' taking place.   And in the garden plants are seeding, some are making a valiant effort at putting on a second flowering (helianthemum, hardy geraniums, perennial wallflowers) and Michaelmas Daisies coming into flower, there is just complete change in the air.

Looking out of the window into my garden I see a (I was going to say 'sea' but more of a 'pond') of pansies left after my front door pots had been planted up, pink scabious, yellow gallardias, red gallardias, hardy geraniums and a   lot of clumps of the rusty flowers of Euphorbia Robbiae ,putting on a show since Spring and going from pale green flowers, through yellow to rusty orange (and all lovely with it).   And Michaelmas Daisies just bursting open their distinctive mauve flowers - yes Autumn is about to arrive. 

See you tomorrow dear friends. 

15 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

What a delightful outing for you with friends going for a meal, picking up groceries, and sightseeing of all that's going on on the trip there and home again. How lovely. Yes, I can see you may not need more food but hope you drank or will drink to stay hydrated this eve.

We have a possibility of rain for the next 6 days,but the rainfall depends on how close the hurricane comes to the coast.

Hugs!

Tasker Dunham said...

We always see September as the start of things new, especially those of us who worked in education. I think you are allowed to eat what you want when you want now.

Jules said...

The weather has been sunny and mild here over the last few days. But I can definitely sense a change in the air.
Fingers crossed they get a decent day for the show. Xx

the veg artist said...

We had our County Show last week without any rain - a very rare thing. It's roses that are doing well in my garden at the moment, a second showing. having had a good cutting back a few weeks ago. Lots of leaves down, and yes, the smell of autumn.

Debby said...

What a wonderful day for you! I will bet that you looked quite smart as well.

Heather said...

It must have been a pleasant change for you to have a little outing with friends, and a chance to see a little more of the world beyond your garden gate. I do hope the weather stays fine for the show. So many events down here have been cancelled because heavy rain has made the ground absolutely impossible to erect marquees or cope with vehicles.
Your garden sounds so beautiful, especially the sea of pansies.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tasker - sorry but don't agree - the last thing I want to do is to gain any weight - my legs just about carry me around - with Priscilla's help - much more and I would have great difficulty so must keep my weight stable or downwards moving. My weaknesses are bananas and chocolate (kit kats) - not at the same time I hasten to add but if both are around in the kitchen and I am in there it is easy for me to have a kit kat with my morning coffee.

Barbara Anne - yes I am always conscious of the need to drink. I always have two glasses of fruit juice a day, plus 2 mugs of tea at breakfast and tea time, a coffee mid morning and after lunch - and my carers always leave a glass of water on my trolley and another at my bedside.

Susan said...

Today was a lovely full day for you and your friends. As the season changes, your garden sounds full of color. I love Fall and look forward to the crisp cool air and the orange, red and yellow color displayed by the trees.

John Going Gently said...

A lot better than my day pat xx

Cro Magnon said...

I was talking to my oldest last night about his 'gap year'. He did remarkable things in about 20 different countries, and never once wrote home for money. When he returned to England he knew EXACTLY what he wanted to do, and after 3 years in Oxford; he did it.

Librarian said...

It sounds like a very nice little outing, and I'd love to see Wensleydale this time of year. Like you, the transition from summer to autumn always feels very special to me, new beginnings, fresh starts and all that.
After a week of 30+ Celsius and several thunderstorms, it has now cooled off to about 20C; still nice but I guess I am not the only one to be glad that proper sleep is possible again.

thelma said...

It sounds a good day, the rain is coming in today I believe. The seasons change so fast and the cooler air of Autumn is already happening.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone -

Tom Stephenson said...

The first sign of Autumn for me is a change in the scent on the air. You can smell it coming - mushrooms in the woods and the beginning of decaying foliage.

Ellen D. said...

I bet you slept well after your busy day, Pat. You certainly get so much enjoyment out of your lovely garden.