Thursday 24 August 2023

Age related?

 Dame Helen Mirren (aged 78) appears in Times 2 today and she really does Wow! pages 2 and 3.   Sort of ' I am 78 and you can take it or leave it.   This is me -maybe a tweak here and there but I am still going strong and shall look and dress as I please'.   (same goes for Dame Judi Dench who is almost as old as me - and that is really ancient.)

It set me thinking about dress, hair styles, and all things age related.

I thought right back to the birth of my son in 1958.  I bought yards of cream Viyella and sewed 10 long nighties with raglan sleeves, open down the back and fastened at neck and middle with tape ties.

These he wore until he was about three months old - easy to get on and off and nice and loose over the terry towelling napkins (we had lessons at ante natal classes on exactly how to fold them diagonally, lay baby on one, fold over the two sides, bring up the pointy end and insert safety pin to hold all three together. )  (inner muslin nappy also recommended for softness on tender skin).

At three months baby is to be 'shortened' - boys into romper suits and girls into tiny dresses with a yoke often decorated with embroidery.   (And ' to hell ' with how much washing and ironing this entailed, especially on cold, wet winter days - no tumble driers in those days - at least not that I was aware of.)  When I think now of those nappies and the long nighties I think of the chore compared with disposable nappies and clothes made of materials which dry easily whatever the weather.

Once school came in - although no uniform kids dressed uniformly and it was all so easy.   I have recently had a photo sent me of my 7 year old great grand-daughter togged out on the first day she is about to enter P2 class.   It is obvious that she has helped choose her clothes (albeit an obvious school uniform.)  Yes children these days are much more involved in what they wear and especially girls are aware of what is in fashion from a very early age.

I watch the mums go past pushing their prams, often one or two toddlers skipping along behind.  All fashionably dressed -all in many ways in a fashion/uniform.

And it is the same in retirement.   I look through the fashion pages and I get a lot of catalogues and fashion stuff through the door as I have to buy my clothes on line these days.

Sadly we are not all Dame Mirrens and Dame Denches

Out of school these days it seems children choose 'fashion' clothes - (yes we all keep our eye on fashion whether we admit it or not).   

But considerations enter in - are the clothes easy to get on and off.  Are we going to be warm enough (gents close your eyes here) August - I am still wearing a thermal vest!   I hate my shoes but they are easy on my swollen ankle and my carer finds it easy to get them on  and off.

But I love Dame Helen's clothes -  and her figure looks as elegant as it always did.   And I love the way Dame Judi dresses - not tall and stately like Dame Helen she accomodates her figure beautifully by wearing exquisite loose coats and dresses which are always in lovely materials and she too always looks divine.

So thanks for the push Dames H and J - I shall wear my new navy leather biker jacket and I shall squeeze my feet into my ballet pumps on the rare occasions when I go out, and I shall put on my Sea Salt blouse which I bought on a whim because I loved it (blue silky material, three quarter sleeves and covered in large white peonies) even if the model wearing it in the brochure did look about 25.

To quote from Farrah Storr.s article on Dame Helen as she stands there , hands on the turned up collar of a ruby red trench coat, looking like "an upmarket madam" - oh how I would love that coat - and here's the rub - at 90 I never go out in the rain or if there is any suggestion of rain around unless it is a trip to the hospital.   Hardly the place wouldn't you agree?

As to the men - they haven't got a mention here so far - well the chaps on my estate don't seem all that bothered about fashion in their Summer shorts, some covering the knee (gratefully I might add) some short and rather tight across the bum,  (age related here) tee shirts in a fairly uniform khaki.

But just a little footnote.   My 'pin up' (remember my garden is my passion) has for many years been Monty Don in his gardening clothes and wellies but when I see him occasionally on telly all poshed up in a suit and tie he doesn't have the same appeal.  So I must conclude from that that it is his gardening that I find attractive - his appeal lies not in his apparel but in his ability to get his hands dirty in the soil.

22 comments:

the veg artist said...

Admit it, Weave. It's the 'Mellors' look that appeals!

Gigi said...

I too at 82, wear what I want. I am most comfortable in jeans and tee shirt. If cold I add a zippered sweatshirt. I only go out to grocery shop these days. I love fashion but since gaining a lot of weight can’t find what I like anymore. I laughed at the method of diapering as that was how it was in the day. Then you put on the rubber pants because the diaper always leaked. I tried a disposable diaper only once. My daughter had a mesh sided crib, she had pooped in the disposable diaper and then ripped off the diaper and proceeded to smear the contents all over the mesh and the wall beside her crib. I never used a disposable diaper again. I washed all the diapers. And those little dresses, you had to iron them, not easy. One day I just left them all in a laundry basket in the furnace room and have never ironed anything again.. when we moved about 20 years later I found the basket of baby dresses behind the furnace.

Librarian said...

I love fashion and clothes, especially dresses, and have way too many of them. But my choice of outfit is always directly related to what I am about to do, where I am going, and what the weather and temperature are like.
Not even the most beautiful dress would tempt me to wear it when I was about to go for a hike in the Black Forest, and when it rains, open (sling-back or toe) shoes are out of the question, as are suede and similar material.
Work does not require the formal business outfits of the past anymore - all that has changed significantly with the pandemic. I still don't think it is appropriate, though, for some people at work to turn up at the office as if they were off to the beach - there is a difference between work and leisure, and what you should show of your body on a beach versus in an office.

Latane Barton said...

I wonder how many people keep Dame Helen and Dame Judi looking and acting so active and gorgeous at their age. I adore both of them and admire their work and their enthusiasm. Have you seen the documentary where Judi Dench went to the Jungle of Borneo? Fancinating.

JayCee said...

I have a wardrobe full of pretty things that I now just keep for "best". If I go out it is usually just to the shops so then it is casual trousers and a jumper. On the odd occasion we go "out" out, for a meal or to visit people for drinks, it is invariably raining or muddy out so pretty shoes are a no-no.

Susan said...

I agree, JD and HM are two lovely women that both know how to dress well. They are great role models for ageing and living well.

Granny Sue said...

Yes, exactly. Would that we could all afford personal trainers, professional chefs, wardrobe consultants, etc, etc. But then, in their profession it is essential, I suppose, if they are to continue to work.

Granny Sue said...

My wardrobe comes mainly from thrifts, or used clothing on ebay. But like you there are shoes I must have for various foot problems, so must buy new. And I still have things left from my storytelling days for the rare "dress-up" occasion. I admit I pay very little attention to what's in fashion. I don't browse catalogs or look at new clothes, since I rarely am in a place that sells them! So completely and happily out of touch there.

Sue said...

I too wear what I want to wear and no matter what the event or occasion you can usually find me in jeans and a top of some description.

When my eldest was born in 1981, those little flannel nighties for babies were still a thing and he spent his first couple of weeks in them and his terry nappies. Then I moved onto the Babygros which had just started being popular and washing his clothes was suddenly a doddle. I loved seeing the washing line full of white nappies and white and occasionally pale blue Babygros, all washed by hand. His top layer was always a little hand-knitted cardigan from one of his great grannies or my Mum.

I really like both Dame Judi and Dame Helen, but I wonder what their slouching around at home clothes are like, I bet a lot more comfortable than their magazine images portray.

Ellen D. said...

I don't care about fashion and wear what is comfortable. I wear shorts and a tee when it is warm and usually sweatpants and sweatshirt when it is cold. I haven't had to buy clothes for a while. The only thing I have been searching for is a comfortable bra!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Latane - I have indeed seen it. I loved the moment when that baby Orang Utan came round the corner and she took hold of its hand and walked with it.

Tasker Dunham said...

But does Helen Mirren wear a thermal vest?
My daughter describes certain men wearing shorts or overtight trousers as "Mr. Chub and Tuck". Fortunately not me.

Barbara Anne said...

I seldom go anywhere except the grocery and library so am usually in jeans, a tee, and a long sleeve open shirt with a hat on my head as lupus requires I hide from the sun. I have cozy sweat shirts, sweatshirt jackets, and sweat pants for home when it's chilly.

Yes, HM and JD are favorites in this household, too. I'll look for that JD documentary.

As Gilda Radner once said, "I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch!" Me, too. :)

Hugs!

Debby said...

Some folks seem to be born with an innate sense of style and elegance.

I, myself, was not.

Heather said...

I try my best but sadly am not as 'brave' as Helen Mirren or as stylish as Judi Dench. However, fashions at the moment are favouring me in that long dresses are all the rage. I bought myself 3 this summer, having not possessed a dress for many years. I have swollen legs and feet due to lymphoedema and wore trousers to hide them but now I can wear dresses. I confess to having a bit of Helen Mirren's outlook when wearing them - it took some courage the first time I wore one shopping!

Anonymous said...

I love how comfortable Dame Judi Dench looks in her at home interview with Louis Theroux - very cosy and informal. It might answer Sue's question. You can catch it on YouTube.
The veg artist's comment at the top of the page made me laugh so much.
Always enjoyable to read your posts Pat. - Pam.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I imagine it may to some extent be money related: I just helped one of my neighbours home with her shopping and she was telling me how she fears her heating bills for the winter. After paying rent on her council bungalow there's not much left out of her state pension.

the veg artist said...

John, that doesn't sound right. Is there any way that you can check if she's claiming Housing Benefit and/or pension credits? So many pensioners don't know about it, or don't want to claim it, when it is an entitlement.

thelma said...

Jeans and tops for me, though I can smarten up when we go out. Like you Pat I use 'Seasalt' for looking good.

Tom Stephenson said...

From your reactions to Monty Don in or out of a suit I can tell that you like a bit of rough, Weave.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh Tom!! Please don't ever change.

Tasker Henceforth I shall always refer to such men with those words. Tell her from me that is worthy of being in the dictionary as one of the new words for 2023


Thanks - I am going out this afternoon and pondering whether it is worth changing into something more stylish or staying as I am.

Mary said...

Pat, remember the hand smocking on little girls' dresses? Don't believe they ever invented a machine to do that! I learned to smock quite young (mother being a former Royal dressmaker and always made my clothes!), and did a lot of sewing as an adult. I admit to being a 'clothes horse' and love fashion just as much today as I did when young.