Wednesday 23 August 2023

Bits and Bobs

It is that sort of a day.   My brain is in tatters and I can't think of an idea for a post while it is in that state.   Why is it in tatters.   An insurance policy is up for renewal.   I renew it every year - I pay it by Direct Debit- nothing changes and nor is it likely to.  But each year I get about twenty foolscap sheets of tight print - imagine the trees that have been knocked down over the years- does anyone ever read through it all?   After reading through half of page of Gobbledegook I rang them to say - had anything changed (apart from the fact that the premium had gone up!)   No - all was the same. 

In the process I discovered that the very efficient lady I always speak to actually lived only a few doors away from me and passes my door every morning on her way to work.   I established the make and colour of her car - I shall look out for her in future. 

Result - my brain is gradually ironing itself out.   Why do companies have to send out so much info every year?   I suppose they are covering themselves but it does my brain no good at all.

So what else?  Oh yes it is 'rubbish collection' day - this week green bin and recycling.  My carer artistically arranged the long box (almost as tall as me) yesterday and as I may have said  - the sharp Autumn wind (yes I am sorry but that it what it felt like) blew it down the drive.  So I brought it in (with great difficulty I might add,) but I did manage with Priscilla's help and careful use of her brakes to get it - and the box my Hoover vac came in - back into the garage overnight.   This morning my carer put them out again.   The bin men haven't been yet (they usually come at 7am) so I am on tenterhooks waiting to see if they take them or whether they deem the boxes too big (in which case I shall spend an artistic afternoon cutting/tearing them in shapes and then tying them into a bundle for the next collection day.

Nothing else to report so ham salad ( plus Baxter's Baby Beets from my store cupboard) calls.   See you tomorrow.

PS   Wasn't that amazing rescue of children and 2 adults from that teetering cable car absolutely breath-taking.   I could hardly bear to watch.  (and they do that journey over a ravine  every day to save them a couple of hours travelling. I hope they all have the rest of the week off).

16 comments:

Gigi said...

It is garbage day here plus garden waste pick up. I pulled out two big brown bags full of weeds yesterday, and put them by the curb. First, the bags blew over and my neighbour came out and moved them, then this morning it has been raining so I hope the bags will stay together long enough to get picked up. Last pickup the bags burst and weeds ended up on sidewalk. Again my wonderful neighbour came and cleaned them up. So grateful to have them next door.

Barbara Anne said...

It's garbage day here, too, and the collectors usually come at midday, but the last two Wednesday, they came at 6am because it would have been much hotter later.

I agree some bills and contracts come with entirely too much paper! In our insurance papers, there is an extra sheet of paper with about 30 languages on it (an estimate, I haven't counted) but surely they could identify which customer speaks which language and adjust accordingly, thus saving lots of trees. Sigh!

Hugs!

Derek Faulkner said...

You probably don't need to receive all those pages of insurance print by post, you can ask to receive it all by E-Mail and simply file it and that saves on all that paperwork damaging the environment.
It's another hot and sunny day here and after a long walk on the reserve early this morning,this afternoon I've been out on a long bike ride along the sea front and elsewhere. There were lots of people in swimming, especially the children - nice to see.

Susan said...

The wind can cause havoc with trash bins. That was a huge effort on your part to retrieve everything. A bit of tea/coffee and rest is in order. You are so right: The fine print in policies combined with legal jargon is tiring and hard to decipher. No wind here. Just stillness and moderate warmth with cooler nights.

Tasker Dunham said...

Pickled beetroot. I like it too. Was Sue Townsend being mischievous when she named the character who kept asking Adrian Mole to make him beetroon sandwiched, Bert Baxter.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tasker - when my neice was a toddler she was addicted to beetroot; so much so that her urine was red. My sister thought it was blood of course and rushed her to the doctor. He roared with laughter and told her to lay off the beetroot for a day or two.
Gigi You are lucky indeed. Our collectors only take the green bin full of garden refuse- anything else they leave for you to tip in the green bin when they have emptied it!! That means it is half full before my gardener starts on his next lawn mowing.

Gigi said...

We have a bin for kitchen waste, a bin for garbage and bin for recycle, plus garden waste goes in large paper bags. I do hope it actually goes to the right depot, but I’m not sure if it does.

Ursula said...

Your "brain ironing itself out" made me laugh so much. Unless you have copyrighted it I shall use that expression when needed. Funny thing that I am, possibly, the only person I know who positively likes actual ironing. To me it's a metaphor for life - smoothing out the creases and enjoying the process.

And, stern warning: Let those boxes look after themselves. Gone with the wind. Spare yourself (even with Priscilla's help).

You are a joy to read,
U

Anonymous said...

Gawd help us

Heather said...

I can simpathize over the pages of print that have to be gone through from various organisations. I now look for the blessed sentence 'if no details have changed you need do nothing'.
I doubt that those rescued from the cable care will be to keen on using it again even if it does shorten a journey. Thank goodness they were rescued.
Hanging on to the edge of the sink in the kitchen I stand on empty boxes to flatten them. I try to compact any large ones and then tuck them between other bins if they are too big to go inside one.

Heather said...

Apologies for the spelling mistake in sympathize! I hit enter before noticing it.

Debby said...

Oh dear. I do have to say that your approach was genius. Just call them and ask them to tell you what has changed. Brilliant! You are right. It's a waste of paper, and TIME.

Joanne Noragon said...

I shudder thinking of you manhandling large boxes back uphill to your garage with only the help of your walker. I wish there were another way. I probably would have left them.

Red said...

Not only do insurance companies send you too much paper, they have too many ways to get money out of you. But I won't get started on that now.

Librarian said...

I am with Derek there - just have your annual information sent by email. It saves them postage and paper, and you don't have to handle too much paper, either.

@Ursula, you know one other person who actually likes ironing - me.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Joanne. Here in the UK most of us have a letter box on the front door and the postie just puts the letters through and they land on the hall doormat.

I have an insurance broker - left over from our farming days I just kept him on and he does the searching around for the best deal. As for having it delivered 'on line' - no thanks. I still like to have things to put in my 'old fashioned filing system.

Heather - the very large box was too thick and heavy to collapse if I had stood on it. I couldn't cut it either. It was very sturday and had held my special reading light. But - thank goodness the bin men took it away.

Ursula - I live on an estate - the box's next move would have been into the middle of a road which is busy at starting work and leaving work times. Thanks for the compliment in your last sentence. I too used to love ironing in the days when I could stand unaided - I miss the lovely smell of ironing freshly 'blown on the line' sheets and the lovely heat on chilly winter days.

We have a weekly collection - one week black bin for refuse - kitchen waste etc. The other week for a) garden waste - a green bin - same size as black bin - for which we pay £28 a year for collection fortnightly from March to November. (plus Christmas trees straight after Christmas) b) paper which goes in a blue bag, a large white bag for cardboard and a blue lidded box for tins, bottles etc. The bin men are a super crew of three and if we apply once we are elderly they collet it from wherever we choose to keep it all - otherwise it has to be put at the bottom of the drive.

Thanks everyone.