Monday 28 August 2023

All things doggy.

This week my main carer is on holiday (she also brings me a lunch every day).   She offered to cook a week's meals for me but she is ready for a well-deserved holiday so I have bought them from a local supplier.   Would you believe I have not used my oven for three years and had to be shown how to use it by my evening carer who has a double oven exactly like mine.   My first day's lunch is in at the moment - cook from frozen - but I switched off my computer expecting it to be ready.   It is cooking nicely but needs longer - wonder about temperature but we shall see.   Pulled pork hotpot with a potato and cheese topping and for side red cabbage with apple and onion.   It smells tantalising.

So to today's post.

In the pages to the rear of today's Times there is a photograph of a woman standing with her Great Dame (spotted black and white).   It is up on its hind legs and is standing close to her.   She has her arms round its body and it is taller than her!   The photo was taken at the World Dog Show in Geneva - 21,500 dogs representing 350 breeds.

Sitting in my chair at half past six in the morning I got a sheet of paper.   There are many dogs on our estate and they are mostly walked past my bungalow every morning towards a field.  (presumably to save in pooh bags).

Owners range from fashionably dressed young men (knee length shorts, dark T shirt, calf length socks and trainers) to elderly gentlemen wearing more or less anything - retired (definitely the person, possibly the clothes too).

When I was a child there were loads of dogs in the village (one called Butch, big, black, of indeterminate breed and age, called at lunch time every day from his home at The Ferry Boat pub to see what was on offer.   My Mum found him something most days).   I only remember 2 pure bred dogs - the rest were mongrels (is that still a word - perhaps towns still have gangs of roaming dogs who meet up each day for a mosey - and during the meet-up there are probably a few couplings (I don't think dogs are particular as to who they 'go around' with)).

The 2 'posh' dogs  as we called them were Borzois -large, white and long haired - (Russian hunting dogs I think).

Here I never see what I would call a mongrel.   Here is a list of the dogs - on leads/harnesses, smart coats on for rainy days, snowy days in winter but now in their own coats -who passed my window this morning between 6am and 9a m.   Some breeds  were represented several times:

Labradoodle; Cockapoo (could of course be called 'mongrels' but these days are 'cross-breeds' and cost thousands of pounds in some cases); Beagle; Red Setter; Dalmatian; Staffordshire Bull Terrier; 2 Labradors; King Charles Spaniel; Cocker Spaniel; Saluki; Pug; BorderTerrier; Shidzu; Dachsund; 2 West Highland White Terriers and a Cairn Terrier.

All are well cared for and look to be much loved.  No expense spared in accoutrements.

One of the Labradors I have known since he was a puppy.   His master has trained him carefully!  When they are walking along the footpath and get to a road junction he has been taught to sit - at which point he is always told he is a good dog, gets a pat on the head and a 'treat' before crossing.   Trouble is now that he is an adult dog he won't get up from his sitting position on the footpath to cross a road until he has had his treat.

Writing this I must say I still miss Tess, my Border terrier, although she has now been gone for two years - I would love another but couldn't walk her and couldn't bend down to collect pooh in a pooh bag,  Lots of happy memories of her though - and pictures on here.

***In addition to these my carer, who lives just along the road to me, has three chihuahuas who stay in the house and garden mostly and just go for occasional scampers and an ancient German Shepherd who is at present pulling at their heart strings and will shortly have to be put to sleep (all dog owners know that feeling don't we?).  And then, of course there are all the dogs who don't come this way on their daily 'constitutionals'.

Until tomorrow.....

 

 

26 comments:

JayCee said...

Oh gosh; I well remember the doggy "gang" that roamed the streets of our council estate back in the 60s and 70s. I used to dread the journey home from school, walking home from the bus stop and having to run the gauntlet. The leader of the gang was an Alsatian and he was pretty mean!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

A friend of mine had a wonderfully odd looking dog, a mongrel from an animal shelter. He was constantly being asked what kind of breed it was and eventually he settled on answering that it was a Mongolian Sewer Hound - I'm sure some folk believed him and may well still believe that such a breed exists.

Barbara Anne said...

I'm glad you have so many doggy passers-by and am impressed you can name them by breed!

When I was a child, the neighborhood terrors were a beagle and two German Shepherds and I can remember climbing up my mother (she was 5'3" tall) to escape them when I was very small. We have never had a beagle or German Shepherd as I was finished with those breeds early in life! Our beloved dogs were a mixed breed hunting dog (mutt), a Bassett Hound, and a Virginia Walker Hound.

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

What an array of dog breeds on your estate.

English Rider said...

The Labrador has reversed roles as to who is training whom. It happens a lot.
No mention of Rough Collies (Lassie Dogs). Few young(ish) people here recognize the breed when I'm out with my girl.
Queen Victoria bred her Rough Collies (also known as Scottish or Farm Collies) with Borzois to achieve taller dogs with the longer noses.
I laugh when people pay for DNA testing. Every dog has had something else mixed in long ago, to enhance aspects the breeder admired.
I'm glad you still have doggie sightings and some contacts.

Tasker Dunham said...

I cannot remember when I last saw a dog out wandering the streets on its own, but it must have been a long time ago. And yet, the dog poo problem is just as bad. As you say, most people have only breeds of dog these days, some you suspect as a fashion statement. The affluent society.

jinxxxygirl said...

I've always called them Mutts instead of Mongrels but same thing... These days people breed dogs anyway they want , think of a name for them and market them that way... I wonder if they are even officially recognized...? Our best dog ever... was a AKC registered Rottweiler named Lady Morgan Weaver. But we've had several others some fullbred some mutts..loved them all.. Hugs! deb

Simone said...

I can remember when dogs used to roam the streets and some people would just leave their front door open for the dog to go out and do its business. Most dogs were mongrels and I don't think I ever saw a pure breed. I also remember that dog walkers used to make their animals go to the toilet in the kerb - the rain would wash the mess away down the drain. I don't remember dog attacks being so common either.

Derek Faulkner said...

Many years since I saw a loose gang of dogs around here, dogs these days appear to be well looked after and controlled. In the old days it was always easy to spot the house that had a bitch in season in it by the gang of stray dogs sitting outside it.

Heather said...

What a lovely cavalcade of dogs you can watch as they pass your bungalow. The older I get the more often I ask strangers if I can stroke their dogs. I too miss having one, and like you I know I couldn't give it the exercise or care it needs and deserves. One of my daughters has a 'something poo'. I can't remember what the something is, but he's called Chester and is pale cream in colour and a bit woolly with a feathery tail.

Terra said...

I like the list of all the dog breeds that pass your home. Lots of dog walkers pass my home plus I see them when I walk my dog. My Bounce is a chiweeniecorgi. Chihuahua dachsund Corgi, and he is a fabulous boy. A very popular breed in the USA now is the French bulldog.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek - Our farm collie, who lived in the barn and was never chained - always loose - except when a friend's cockerspaniel, Jill, was on heat. If the barn was empty the farmer would get the car out and drive to their house. He never had to say anything, just open the car door and Ben would be sitting by the locked garden gate. Very shamefaced he would get in and sit in the passenger seat. Not a word would be spoken. That night he would be sitting by his chain when David went to shut the barn up. There was a tacit understanding between man and dog.

Susan said...

Dogs today are beloved family members. My Vet says some dogs are treated better than people. Your story suggests that almost everybody living in your estate has a dog. Generally, people that like dogs are lovely people.

Derek Faulkner said...

Very amusing Pat, couldn't blame the dog for trying his luck.

angryparsnip said...

Unless I try to walk with the gud dugs...(South) I really only see the dog walker from the car. My studio looks out East and (north)on the small ponds I have by the fruit trees to see all the wild animals. I am moving out of my studio, letting my granddaughter and son move all the videos and cameras into it and taking a smaller room by my bedroom. I will not see the ponds unless I go over to the video room or back yard to see them.
Do you see the Border Terrier often ? I miss mine so much she was my Bridesmaid at my wedding Great Gud Dugs !

Granny Sue said...

There used to be a newspaper columnist here in West Virginia who wrote about a breed he called "West Virginia Brown Dog". Anyone who has lived here know the type: a mix of hound, lab, and who knows what else, very hardy, strong survivors and usually ugly as can be, but so lovable.
All three of our dogs are hardy outdoor dogs, mixed breeds but mainly black or yellow lab. They are not pampered much, being farm dogs who know their job. In bad weather, of ,course, they come inside. And all 3 are terrified of thunder, which means they scurry for the house pronto. We dearly love them all.

Gigi said...

I have a pure breed now, a 9 yr. Old Coton de Tulear, a nice dog, only 11 lbs. so I can lift her. Before her I had a Bitsa, bits of this and bits of that. She was a wonderful dog, very smart and really a good girl. She lived to be 16.5 yrs. Old. I would have had another like her but she was too heavy for us to lift. Gigi

The Furry Gnome said...

That's a lot of dogs!

Debby said...

I've never had a purebreed in my life. It will not happen now, I'm afraid. I love dogs, and will have to content myself with petting my sister's dogs. There are dogs of all sorts in my neighborhood. The yappy lady across the road walks her yappy dachshund. A elderly man down the street walks an very elderly white dog. She does not require a leash. She stays right with him as if she is on one.

Joanne Noragon said...

How far we have come from the mongrel dogs of childhood, who chased our bicycles. Little mongrels!

Anonymous said...

We had several dogs (in succession) as I grew up. Phoebe, the Boston bull terrier one year older than me, who ate the dry part of my Oreo cookies and would jump completely off the ground to snatch kernels of popcorn I tossed for her; Ripperdan, the sweet German Shepherd puppy who was dog-napped from our yard and never seen thereafter; Chipper, a terrier mix who was my childhood pal but met her demise falling down an uncovered well in a neighboring field; and Mister, the pedigreed Daschund who ran off to live with the little boy next door, where she grew old and fat and incredibly content. All fond memories.

Cro Magnon said...

I have no idea who will live the longest; Billy or me! If I survive Billy I won't have another dog. I would miss one terribly, but I think my dog-days are over.

thelma said...

I remember going to training class with my Moss, mostly collie with a dash of spaniel. He was so good, did everything asked of him, then as soon as we were on the other side of the door he leapt up like a child released from school and we were back to square one.

Librarian said...

At O.K.'s village there are many dog owners, some of them farmers, but mostly they are "family dogs" and not working dogs, as it is not an area with much cattle or sheep.
Is it really only two years since Tess died? I still think of my Mimi (white cat which I raised from when she was 12 weeks old) who died in 2003, and of my Pukky (stray from the shelter) who died in 2013.
I keep saying to O.K. that I would like to have a dog when we retire, which should be in another 12 years or so.

Librarian said...

PS: Your pulled pork meal sounds very nice!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Parsnip I see the Border Terrier every day morning and evening.

Thanks everyone - lovely reading your doggy stories.