Wednesday 19 June 2019

THE Debate

Oh dear me.   I watched the debate - I felt it was my duty to listen to them all.   But what a shambles.   I am not a Boris fan - not an any of them fan (that is not my political leaning) - but Boris, as far as I could see, won hands down   The others spent the whole time interrupting, disagreeing, telling everyone what they had already done when they were in whatever job they were in, arguing like children.   All Boris did (apart from forgetting the Questioner Abdullah's name) was answer a straight question with a straight, maybe slightly devious, answer and then let the stage clear for the others to show that they are definitely not capable of the job.   Or so I thought.   You may disagree - that is your prerogative.

So  I am more interested in looking out of the window at another  pouring wet morning, standing water everywhere, garden soaked and the promise of very heavy thunderstorms later today.   And thinking of poor Wainfleet under flood water.

It is our Poetry afternoon.   I chose my poems last evening - a couple of Simon Armitage's as he is our new Poet Laureate, a Tennyson - he was my father's favourite poet and it was father's day last Sunday, and a couple of Ted Hughes.   I shall now shower, get dressed, tidy round and make myself a coffee,   Hopefully by then it will  have stopped raining and Tess and I can do our morning walk.
Enjoy your day.

12 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

I'm currently reading a fascinating new book by Sarah Watling entitled "Nobel Savages". It relates the true lives of four rebellious and unconventional sisters - the Olivier sisters, through the late 1800's and well into the 1900's. Rupert Brooke was in love with Noel, the youngest of them (although it wasn't returned), until his untimely death. It continues my fascination with those in, or on the fringes of, The Bloomsbury Group.
Violent storm here at midnight and at the moment it is pouring hard with rain.

Rachel Phillips said...

Enjoy the poetry afternoon. Sounds like you have chosen a lot of poems, you will be able to read extra if someone doesn't turn up.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I've heard better debates in the local pub at closing time. Interesting how they are all making promises which conflict with the manifesto on which they were elected. Enjoy your afternoon; I'm sure it will be more civilised and informative than events last night.

Tom Stephenson said...

I don't think that Boris had anything to say, Weave. When I was a youth, people thought I was interesting and mysterious if I kept my mouth shut. In fact I was just speechless.

jinxxxygirl said...

You know Pat .. It was the one thing i think Trump did well... And when i say did well i mean he wasn't afraid to talk about anything.. He made the other candidates talk about things they would probably rather not bring up... Trump was useful in that way...But i never thought he'd get so far as President.. sigh..

Sue in Suffolk said...

An afternoon of poetry sounds a good antidote to a load of loud men - (I didn't watch but have heard all the fall-out on the news this morning)

Jennyff said...

Very badly organised event, those stupid bar stools, candidates not knowing whether to speak to the compère or the questioner on screen, everyone talking at once, strange body language from Rory. I wish we could wind on 5 years and see where we are, except it’s too large a proportion of my remaining life to miss.

Heather said...

I didn't watch the debate and suspect we will just have to make do with the best of a bad bunch. In the grand order of things I suppose this crisis is minor, compared to the state of the planet at the moment.
Enjoy your poetry afternoon and think beautiful thoughts!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Most interesting comments. We begin our debates this next week. Can only hope we can get our country back on track. I'll be interested in watching how yours fares also. So hope you enjoyed your poetry group. Sounds like a lovely way to spend one's time.

the veg artist said...

I don't understand why you felt it was your duty to watch. Up to you, of course, but the whole thing is out of our hands, unless we take to contacting our MP or join a pressure group. Hope you enjoyed your poetry afternoon - much more constructive!

Gwil W said...

Men behaving badly. I switched off; after 20 minutes I could stand it no longer. Boris won by not interrupting and nodding sagely.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Didn't know of your interest in the Bloomsbury Group Derek - it is one of my intrests too.
The Poetry afternoon was good as usual and a great antidote to last night's debate.
Thanks everyone.