Friday 21 June 2019

The Usual Friday

Yes, the usual kind of Friday - never varies much, except that we were all there for coffee this morning - all ten of us.   We did try to keep the noise of the chatter down!

The Summer Solstice and with it probably the warmest day of the year here for us.   Yesterday I bought one or two herbaceous plants and an evergreen shrub to fill in spaces and rang my gardener to ask if he would mind popping in to put them in as the places I want them to go are just too dangerous for me to attempt in my steep garden. 
Not sure whether he has forgotten or whether he intends to come early in the morning, however I have just been round and given them all a good watering to last them overnight.

This is a specially good year for farmers so far I would guess as the field behind me has just had second-crop grass for silage cut today - or on second thoughts probably for whole-crop as this seems more popular these days.   As there is a field behind my bungalow I can still keep an eye on what is happening in the farming world and I like that. 

Out to lunch as usual with friend W today. I had two starters together on the plate - they looked - and tasted - delicious.   Salad of tomatoes and water cress with cream-cheese  crisply fried cubes together with crab and lobster beignettes.
It all went down a treat.  Then a relax over a coffee and home to take Tess for a walk.   We met two cats - both of them sat it out, stared at her and totally refused to scuttle out of the way (typical cat of course).    Had she not been on a tight lead she would have chased them madly (and probably got run over in the process). 

Now after a very light tea of a ham sandwich I have read your posts and will relax for half an hour and then watch Gardeners' World, my favourite Friday night programme.   Watched an interesting programme on the last ten years of Picasso's life from the iplayer archive last evening - what an intriguing and complicated man he was.

12 comments:

Hard up Hester said...

Cats certainly know how to wind dogs up don't they.

justjill said...

What a lovely day. As a cat owner I well understand the winding up.

Heather said...

I think the weather must have known it was the Summer Solstice today - it really pulled it's socks up. Your garden must be filling up nicely now and will look quite mature next year.
I daren't leave the flat path to do any gardening as I would easily lose my balance. Luckily I only have a tiny strip under the windows of my flat in which I have planted two lavenders and a couple of aubretia. All are filling out nicely and providing a bit more colour amid the other plants that were already there.

angryparsnip said...

Sounds like a lovely day to me.
parsnip

John Going Gently said...

I hate the light mornings
My. Curtains are well and truly closed

JayCee said...

I hope you have enjoyed your evening as much as the rest of this longest day. We are also hoping our weather perks up from here on before it is too late to enjoy summer.

Joanne Noragon said...

Friends are a blessing. Keep them close.

Alphie Soup said...

Ten for coffee, bound to make for lively conversation!
Alphie

Rachel Phillips said...

10 women at coffee sounds horrendous.

Derek Faulkner said...

I agree

Librarian said...

You had a good day and your meals sound very nice, too. I like it how you still take an interest in farming life, it is all around you. The scenes with the cats made me laugh.

Tom Stephenson said...

I always cruelly remind H.I. that it is going to get darker quicker after the 22nd.