Friday 15 March 2019

Topsy turvy.

What a topsy-turvy first few months of the year.   First of all we get ten days of really balmy weather in February, when there are reports of swallows along the east coast (never the warmest of places).   Then  in comes March like a lion, such strong winds that Thelma reports a branch of a tree demolishing a conservatory roof next door to her and rooks' nests blowing out of trees. At the same time Si reports the sighting of a house martin in Newark.    In this windy weather!  The rooks nesting in the trees in our town car park are well on the way with their breeding this year and I noticed today that their nests looked very insecure.

Next week better weather is promised.   I sincerely hope so because Thursday is the first day of Spring - I do hope that day at least lives up to its promise.  

I refuse to mention, other than in passing, the terrible events in New Zealand or the muddle in Westminster.   Please - for the sake of our sanity, let us have a few days concentrating on something beautiful.  

Do you remember the old adage which we used to recite when we were kids and which, in those days, always seemed to hold true - January snow, February fill dyke, March winds, April showers, sweet May flowers?   (can't remember any more - can anybody else?)

17 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

March winds and April showers bring forth May flowers is what we used to say.

Jules said...

I'm ready for the real spring to arrive now. It does look like the temperatures are set to rise next week so I hope it's a positive sign. X

Rachel Phillips said...

We also used to say a rhyme about the cuckoo that said in March the cuckoo starts, in June she changes her tune, in July she starts to fly away

Tom Stephenson said...

Up with sparrow-fart is all I can recall.

Gwil W said...

The March wind doth blow and we shall have snow and what will poor robin do then poor thing? That's the only doggerel I know about March. And from Eng. Lang. Beware the Ides of March. Maybe some good advice for May.

ps - I've left the name of the church for you.

Gwil W said...

Eng. Lit. sorry. I did both.

Bonnie said...

We also said April showers bring May flowers. Where I live we never know if we will have winter or spring in March as we have often had snow. It is only now starting to warm up just a little (still need a good jacket when you go out) and I'm hoping we are done with the snow. My youngest son's birthday is on March 20th. I always used to say I wanted a Spring baby and a Pisces and he just made both.

crafty cat corner said...

I have been watching the birds flying about with twigs and just hoping they make the nest secure. All that work for nothing if it gets blown down.
We have had snow in April before now so I don't count my chickens about the weather until April is well and truly gone.
Briony
x

justjill said...

Ne'er cast a clout till May is out. Be warned!! March 21st roll on. First day of Spring. I am a Spring Chicken, soon to be an old hen.

The Weaver of Grass said...

The rhyme we said about the cuckoo Rachel was:
The cuckoo sings in April,
The cuckoo sings in May.
In the middle of June he changes his tune
Ans in July he flies away.

Tom - 'fart'? our Yorkshire sparrows wouldn't do anything so rude - they just make enough noise talking to one another.

Jill - I am already an old hen, sadly.

So did I Gwil. It is from Macbeth I believe.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Oh wow I got a mention!!! Thank you!

Rachel Phillips said...

Julius Caesar more like.

Heather said...

Turbulent times and turbulent weather. A little respite from both would be very welcome.
The only old saying I can remember relating to weather is 'March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb'. Let's hope it comes true this year.

angryparsnip said...

This is more of our February weather we should be warmer.
My citrus trees have buds and the Pomegranate is covered with new leaves.

cheers, parsnip

thelma said...

Well the bantams are laying and the birds in the trees are nesting, so for some these lighter days are truly spring.

Derek Faulkner said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9AoFSJR_f8

Pat, Have a look and listen, to this link to a great 1935 recording of March Winds and April Showers, listen to the vocal and you'll hear the lyrics that you've been talking about.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek - thank you for that. Ir brought the memories flooding back.
Quite right Rache- - it is seventy years since I read it and at least fifty since I saw it at Stratford, so I can be forgiven.