Thursday 28 March 2019

Thursday








Today my friend W and I have been to meet our friends in Kirby Lonsdale - such a lovely journey over the Pennines and then to meet our lovely friends and to go to a nice restaurant for our lunch. Added to this it was lovely weather - the sky a clear blue with lots of puffy white clouds and a temperature of up to twelve degrees for some of the day.  The grass verges were thick with daffodils, the hedges were coming into leaf and here and there the blackthorn was out with its
patches of white.   The fields were full of frollicking lambs with their mums.   And to add to the excitement we came upon a weasel chasing a baby rabbit down the middle of the road (and gaining on it by the minute).   My friend pulled up close to the weasel which immediately called off the chase and ran into the undergrowth at the side of the road.   The baby rabbit, frozen with fear, sat on the white line in the middle of the road.  There was no traffic coming so we sat for a minute or two to let it get over the shock and then edged past it.   My friend saw in her rear view mirror that it had gone into the undergrowth on the other side of the road.   We had done all we could to help it - so we do hope it escaped.   I know it is nature and everything has to survive but it just seemed so cruel.

Here you are on our journey with us.   Rotten photographs I know but I took them all from a moving car.   We went through Wensleydale, turned along the road past the Ribblehead Viaduct,
got a good view of the Ribble valley but sadly too misty to really show up in all its beauty in the photograph, into Kirby Lonsdale.   Then after lunch we came back toward the Howgills and back through Upper Wensleydale and home.   The skies were so beautiful that even if the views are a bit boring you can at least enjoy the sky.

26 comments:

JayCee said...

Those views are anything but boring! God's own country indeed.

Lynn Marie said...

A beautiful corner of the world, for sure.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Looks like lovely weather and a good journey, we just had cloud again until late afternoon

justjill said...

Beautiful, just beautiful. Brought back many memories.

Sue said...

Lovely photos, those views are stunning.

Joanne Noragon said...

And I was admiring the sky. We're not yet overburdened with blue skies and green grass, so thanks for yours.

angryparsnip said...

The photos are beautiful and I looked at each one for a long time.
The last time I was in your area it was covered in snow.

cheers, parsnip

Tom Stephenson said...

Not rotten photographs, lovely ones, Weave. I am now pitying the hungry weasel.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tom - how could you!!

Sue said...

What beautiful countryside! Our weather is getting slowly more spring-like, but we are still way behind you.

Joan (Devon) said...

I always enjoy seeing photos of the county of my birth, even if I don't always recognise them.

Rachel Phillips said...

It was probably a stoat going for a rabbit.

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed to live in such a beautiful area - it is breathtaking. Mary Ellen - Wisconsin

Linda from Alabama said...

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures. Your countryside is beautiful.

Bonnie said...

Thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures. I love that you and your friend saved the baby rabbit!

Cro Magnon said...

No traffic anywhere; not the England I know. It looks beautiful.

Jean said...

Dear Weave. I have been following your blog each day for a long time. Yesterday I was also in Kirkby Lonsdale. I always think of you when I am there. One of these days a stranger will approach you and say hello. We have a caravan in Milnthorpe and love the countryside in this area. It has been such beautiful weather. Love the photos.

Jules said...

A beautiful drive. X

Penny said...

Lovely photos.

Librarian said...

Not at all boring, Pat! We had almost cloudless skies here in the Ripon area, with temperatures up to 15C in the sun, and used it well for a walk along the river Ure after a wonderful lunchtime piano concert in the cathedral. Today is going to be pretty much the same, weather-wise, and we'll be off to Ripley after breakfast.
Like you, I could not have just watched the weasel chasing the baby rabbit, even though knowing full well that it is nature, and the way the meat for some of my meals is gained is much more cruel than any weasel could ever be.

Heather said...

Like you, I know it's nature too, but I'm glad that little rabbit got away. Those views are so beautiful - so much open space for miles. I have always thought of myself as a southerner but something in me is drawn to Yorkshire. Somewhere in my ancestry there must be a Yorkshireman or woman trying to call me home!

Rambler said...

Beautiful photos - and no traffic at all, a rarity surely, in this age of dashing about and rushing everywhere. Yes, I loved the blue skies and luckily here in Cornwall we have had several days like that. I've been to the beach twice during the week, where my little dog, Benji, enjoyed dashing round in mad circles on the sand. Home today, catching up with gardening jobs - both lawns need mowing and I can just about fill the garden bin with cuttings and dried stalks, etc. Thank you for your post. x

Red said...

I appreciate the photos you show today. You live in a beautiful area.

Julia said...

We're going up to near Kirkby Lonsdale from our home in Wiltshire tomorrow for a family celebration - and the weather is supposed to break! Typical! It's so beautiful there whatever the weather so who cares?!

The Weaver of Grass said...

No Rachel - it was a weasel - living on a farm I do know the difference - this was a tiny little thing and not much thicker than a piece of string. I think a stoat would probably have caught it - in fact the weasel would have done so in a couple of strides, the poor little rabbit was becoming frozen with fear.

As to the roads being empty - even during the peak holiday season these particular roads are quite empty - and long may they remainso.

it's me said...

Beautiful countryside!