Tuesday 26 March 2019

A mixed bag.

My gardener has been this morning and spent the whole morning scarifying my lawn with an electric scarifier.    And would you believe he has got two massive bags of moss to dispose of.  I must say it looks in a much healthier state and now needs a good rain and a spell of warm sun to make the grass grow.

In addition he has begun the task of creating a small bed for dwarf shrubs where at present there is a small lawn which is a nuisance to mow. If anyone can recommend dwarf shrubs which are attractive then please help me out.   At present I have two box bushes which have been in tubs for the past year but they are conical and easily blow over in the wind,so that the pots have gradually got more and more broken over the year and are now no good at all.   So they will start me off.

The photograph today shows my long border which I am planting up.  I am pleased with it because it is on the relatively flat part of the garden which means I can do it myself without the risk of falling over.   You will notice the smattering of tulips just beginning to come into bloom.   Remember my son planted well over two hundred bulbs and you can see clearly the ones that remain.   Something - I suspect mice - took the rest, but those remaining are just coming into bloom.

There is a very chilly wind blowing here today and not a lot of sunshine.   I have just turned the central heating up as though it was the middle of Winter.   I must be snug and warm in time for The Sewing Bee - it is getting near to the end and I am enjoying it so much.   The same goes for Master Chef - finals this week and also  University Challenge.  Towards the end of University Challenge the questions seem to get progressively harder - well at least they do for me.   The only ones I can answer are usually Poetry, Literature or Musical ones which the teams can't answer because they are too easy for them.


13 comments:

JayCee said...

You are lucky to have grass still on your lawn - if we removed all our moss there would be nothing left!
As for dwarf shrubs, we have a variegated Euonymus in a pot that we inherited from my father in law many years ago. It has thrived despite a distinct lack of care and attention and looks good all year round, although no flowers to speak of. We also have a Hebe in a pot but it does need a trim quite regularly. The bees and butterflies enjoy the flowers.
I hope you find something beautiful to brighten up your day.

busybusybeejay said...

Hebes are a good bet but check they are frost tolerant.Some aren’t.Barbarax

SheilaHen said...

I read your blog regularly and really enjoy it. You ask for suggestions for small shrubs. What about Christmas box (evergreen and lovely scent in Jan/Feb), Spirea Goldflame (beautiful coloured new growth), Cornus Midwinter Fire (for winter stems) and a Potentilla for summer flowers. I'm not sure how many you need but hope this helps. I look forward to hearing/seeing the progress. Hope Tess is feeling better now.

Librarian said...

Your border will look so beautiful when the tulips are in bloom properly, splashes of colour to brighten even the dullest of days.

Tom Stephenson said...

I like the word 'scarify'. I often tell farmers I see dragging things behind them across fields that it must be a harrowing experience.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Our groundsman will soon be scarifying our cricket pitches

Rachel Phillips said...

The Eden Project.

Virginia said...

That border is going to be a picture in a few weeks. Do show us another shot of it then. I’m not going to make suggestions about shrubs, as your local garden centre will have a much better idea of what’ll thrive where you are.

angryparsnip said...

Yes, please show the border when the tulips popup. Everything looks so nice.

cheers, parsnip

Joanne Noragon said...

We do not have that much spring happening, yet. Yours is beautiful.

Heather said...

Your lawn is looking as if it has just been to the hairdresser, and your garden is going to be so pretty. I wonder if a rosemary might contrast nicely with your box bushes. The bees love it and it is quite tough and easy to maintain if it gets a bit straggly. Lavender is another favourite of mine and there are several varieties to choose from, so the right one for your garden shouldn't be a problem. Happy gardening.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you JayCee for your suggestions - variegated Eunoymous sounds a very good idea and as for Hebe, I have a couple in the back garden, one of which has dark reddish leaves and is in leaf all winter - I hadn't thought of getting another.
Sheila - thank you for your suggestions - they all sound possibles so have added them to my list.
Thanks Heather - I already have Munstead Lavender on my list and I notice there is a Rosemary in flower at the moment a few doors away from where I live - and it would have the added advantage of providing a bit of flavouring to any casserole I make.

Thanks everyone.

Share my Garden said...

Those pesky grey squirrels are far too fond of eating tulip bulbs,they play havoc with my planting. I watched a lovely wildlife programme on the Yorkshire Dales and was surprised to learn that there is an established area of woodland inhabited by the native red squirrel. Far better behaved!
A purple sage bush might be nice in your garden.