Monday 4 March 2019

Biting off almost more than I can chew

It was Book Group this morning and a friend who also goes and lives quite near to me suggested we walk together as the venue was just at the bottom of our road.   The weather was pleasant although chilly and we set off twenty minutes before we were due.  It was downhill all the way and we did, of course, arrive early.

The book was Lee Child's 'Killing Floor' - macabre, grotesque and absolutely not on my list of enjoyable reading.   But, as we all agreed, it is par for the course in a book club to read everyone's choice, discuss it, and then if you don\t' like it make a note not to read any more books by that author.   As Lee Child has now written twenty four 'Reacher' novels somebody must like them but there was too much blood for me, although I admired his skill in writing.

When it was time to return I must admit I struggled - uphill all the way and around half a mile I would say.   Still I feel good that I have now walked a mile today plus two walks with Tess, so that can't be bad can it?

Friend W has just called and reminded me that it is Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday) tomorrow - and as it is the day when we have lunch with a group of a dozen friends we are hoping A, who cooks the meal, has remembered.   As far as I am concerned it is any excuse for a pancake - with maple syrup  (or preferably with lemon juice and sugar.)

Storm Freya was destined to wreak havoc but I must say that thankfully she almost missed us - rain and fairly strong winds but nothing like they had in the West of the country.   Sadly the very warm spell has spoilt us but Spring will soon be here - it is, after all, already meteorological Spring isn't it?

15 comments:

Librarian said...

All that walking certainly justifies a pancake or three!
I have not heard of Lee Child's books yet, but what you say about the one you have read does not make them attractive for me. As you say, being part of a book club means you sometimes read books you'd never choose for yourself - which can lead to great discoveries as well as confirming the taste you have developed over many years of reading.

Terra said...

I admire you walking to and from the book club, uphill is quite a workout. I recall from when I rode my bicycle years ago how uphill can be hard. I read one of Lee Child's books and didn't love it so I am with you. At my age (ha ha) I only read what I want to read.

Bonnie said...

You definitely got some good exercise today. Walking uphill can be more of a challenge than we expect. I have never heard of pancakes with lemon and sugar but I'd be willing to try.

justjill said...

Well done on the walk! I can manage 1/2 a mile when I am well and on the flat. No way could I walk up a hill. Hope you get the pancakes!

Joanne Noragon said...

Good for you, on the walk.Slow but sure, one foot, the next. And I love that you did it anyway, knowing the walk home was uphill!

crafty cat corner said...

Tom has read all of the Reacher books but like you they are not my cup of tea.
Thanks for the reminder of Pancake day, must make some.
Briony
x

Sue said...

I let Rick have his head when we walk up hills, it's surprising how much easier it is with him pulling me along!

Sue said...

I went out for breakfast this morning with 4 other friends and had my pancakes a day early. They were served with a blackberry syrup full of fresh blackberries and topped with whipped cream. Delicious! Hope you get your pancakes tomorrow!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I had a wild cycle to work today, and then ten hours spent outside in the wind

Heather said...

If I go for slightly longer walks this week I should be able to get away with a pancake or two. I love them with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of caster sugar.
Glad you managed your walk without too much discomfort.
Weather very changeable down here, but not too stormy. I think we got off light.

Granny Sue said...

Oh my, we had pancakes today! I will have to make them again tomorrow. What a shame ;) Today it was apple pancakes since I had apples that needed to be used. Tomorrow? I will have to think about that.

Cro Magnon said...

I shall make a point of NOT mentioning 'Pancake Day'. I do like them, but everything about them says NO to me.

thelma said...

Pancakes are the carbohydrates answer for pudding, dripping with lemon and sugar, though there is crepe suzette;)

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

My brother and I always fell sound asleep after eating pancakes when we were children. My grandmother often made them for us at lunchtime when she was "babysitting" - she was no fool!

Jayview said...

I hope you get your pancakes. I made blueberry ones tonight (think we’re 11 hours ahead of you at the moment in southeastern Australia). They tasted OK but didn’t look anything like the ones in the cookbook (evidence on my Wordpress blog whatliftsyourspirits.wordpress.com)