Tuesday 29 August 2017

One missing.

Only three of us girls for coffee this morning - friend W had to take her car in for its first service.
Remember the days when we had to run our engines in and they had to have a first service after so many miles and all that rigmarole?   Now it is just once a year and a two-hour job - things have come a long way.

I am still waiting for things to be finalised.   If I let it concern me it will take over my life so I am just carrying on, meeting friends, going out for lunches, making the best of things.  Yesterday I learned of more friends who are seriously ill - we really do have to make the most of each and every day while we are able to do so.

Two walks today so far - one before I went into town this morning and one down the pasture after lunch.   The trouble with going down the pasture - good because I can take Tess off the lead and she likes that  but bad because if I don't watch her she pushes into a large bank of thistles after the rabbits and last week when she did this she got a thistle seed in her eye.   Luckily her eye watered so much overnight that the seed washed out.

Ukuleles tonight so I am now going to have a bit of a practice because I have not taken the instrument out of its case since last week.   Tess seems quite impervious to the noise I make so I don't feel guilty.   I am no George Formby (thank goodness) but I do like to do the best I can.

Tomorrow is our Poetry afternoon - one of my favourite afternoons of the month - anybody got any suggestions for Poetry I might read?   Just to please Tom I might read 'Seasons of Mist and Mellow Fruitfulness' - what do you think Tom?

18 comments:

Minigranny said...

I always think Tennyson's 'The Brook' is lovely .

Gail, northern California said...

"He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven" ~ Yeats

Derek Faulkner said...

How about "Fern Hill" by Dylan Thomas.

Anonymous said...

My Last Duxhess by Robert Browning has been one of my favourites for about 65 years!
I remember how the horror of what the narrator was saying dawned on me. Every time I hear it
there's something new to think about.

Sue

littlemancat said...

"The Peace of Wild Things" by Wendell Berry is a very beautiful poem.
Enjoy your day. We are in the process of selling of home of 38 years and I too am trying not to let it consume my thoughts. Easier said than done...indeed.
Mary

justjill said...

I remember way back at secondary school reading the poems written during or after the First World War. Still resounds with me. But then I also like Practising Wearing Purple!

Heather said...

I do hope you wont have to wait much longer for your completion date. The last bit seems to drag dreadfully. It is such a relief when everything is finalised. Luckily you have lunching friends, poetry and ukulele lessons to keep you occupied. I relied on knitting and jigsaw puzzles!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Thistle in the eye, yow!!!!

Rachel Phillips said...

Carol Ann Duffy. You. Is a good poem

angryparsnip said...

Naughty Tess ! But happy to know that all is well today.

cheers, parsnip

Linda from Alabama said...

September by Helen Hunt Jackson.
Lovely poem for this time of year.

Gabrielle Howard Gengler said...

She was a childhood friend of Emily Dickinson. Losing her sons and husband she began to write poetry. Healing I think...

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I must say, when I catch up to the days in your blog, it is such a joy. Poetry group. I'm currently reading a collection by Thomas Kinsella. Not certain what I think of him yet. Will look up the poem you reference. Have a grand day tomorrow.

Librarian said...

I am glad your headline "One Missing" had nothing to do with the kittens you rescued, or with one of your friends having died!
Your poetry afternoons sound so wonderful. I am not all that much into poetry and can not give you any suggestion, but I'd certainly love to gather with you and your friends and discuss what everyone has been reading.

thelma said...

Well tucked away on my blog I have Edwin Muir's 'The Horses' a rather sad poem about the world which slowly grinds to a halt after war. The horses come back to serve and help.

Gwil W said...

I remember those stickers in the back windows of cars: RUNNING-IN PLEASE PASS. This reminds me of when our old car broke down without warning one night with mum, dad, and four children in it. Fortunately we found a telephone box and were able to contact the AA. I used to help my dad to 'bleed the brakes' as it was called. It was a real chore because I could barely reach the pedal.

Have you read the first post on my 'zen my ass' blog? It's the only post for 2015. So it's easy to find it. I think it's quite funny and also insightful.




Derek Faulkner said...

After several very hot, sunny and humid days, today here in North Kent has seen a substantial drop in temperature, cool N. winds, dark skies and rain most of the day - a real overnight shock to the system!

UplayOnline said...

So it's easy to find it. I think it's quite funny and also insightful.


แตกใน xxx