Friday 15 February 2019

Friday

Well it is Friday again.   My two grandsons, who have been here in the village staying with their Dad (my son) have moved on to Glasgow to stay with their sister.   I have so enjoyed their company and enjoyed talking to D, the grandson who lives and works in China.   He returns on Tuesday and yesterday I took them both to the station.   Only after the train had left and i had returned home did I find D's mobile on the floor of my car.    What to do?   He needs it before he returns to China.   The problem was solved today when I got a text to ask if I would  post it to his brother's back in West Yorkshire.    So this morning I swathed it in bubble wrap and several Amazon bags and then a Post Office bag, took it to the Post Office and sent it Registered post.   It should hopefully arrive in time for him to take it back with him.   But tell me this - why do young people always have to have their mobile phones out to fiddle with them?   We were only going the twenty or so miles to the station - it could easily have been kept in his pocket.  I don't think I will ever understand the young - but then I think it was ever thus.

10 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

If my phone ends up on the floor of the car it means it dropped out of my pocket. So perhaps it just fell out when he got up to climb out. Normally if a phone is in the hand it stays in the hand.

Heather said...

I have often noticed mobile phones sticking out of pockets. Not a safe place to keep them.

justjill said...

How did we all manage before mobile phones? Well there were more phone boxes. I use mine for emergencies only. I switch it on when I am out alone and switch it off when I am back home. My partner and kids have them that connect to the internet and get emails etc. I have enough of internetting on my laptop and switch it off. Well enough. Glad you enjoyed the visits.

Joanne Noragon said...

And I only thought, "how typical". Passing judgment, like the eldest generation.

Granny Sue said...

I lost mine in the restroom of a pub in Hunstanton--it fell out of my pocket. That was the first time I tried carrying it in my pocket and it cured me! The pub found it and called my cousin, who, bless him, drove back to get it, then mailed it to me. I'm not one who is generally attached to my mobile since it seldom works here at my house and isn't much better in most of my state. But I admit I missed it during the few weeks it was traveling back to me.

I'll be thinking of your grandson as he travels back to China. It's a long journey for sure. Oe of my sons was stationed in Korea, and how we hated it when he'd have to go back after a leave.

Cro Magnon said...

This is probably, subconsciously, why I don't have one. I did have one for a short while recently, but it managed to 'lock' itself. I haven't bothered to have it 'unlocked'.

Derek Faulkner said...

The main reason for phones falling out of pockets is that people seem to keep them in their back pockets where they get squeezed out when in the sitting position. When you see young people in the street, on the rare occasion that they are not actually using the phone, look at their back pockets.

thelma said...

I'm too old too comment on the young ;)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Good point Rachel.

Good point worth thinking about Thelma.

Thanks for calling.

Janice said...

My GD had hers in her pocket and went to the bathroom in a sports arena. When she stood up the phone ended up in the toilet!! That was the end of that phone. I do keep my phone in my pocket because I have an app that counts my steps!