Saturday 9 February 2019

Saturday

T, the decorator, nipped round this afternoon (he only lives in the next road) just to sand down the holes where the down lights had been in the bathroom.   He had called and filled them in yesterday.   Now in the morning he will come round and give the whole bathroom ceiling a coat of emulsion and it will all be done.   I shall wash both bath mats to spruce the whole place up and then everything will be shipshape again.

Now all that remains is my car to be serviced on Monday - then all jobs at present are finished.   This is just as well as my grandson, D, who lives and works in China, is home for Chinese New Year and will be spending four days up here next week with his father (and me too of course).   It is more than two years since I saw him and I can't wait - I am so looking forward to it.   At my age going two years without seeing a grandchild is far too long but I know how happy he is working out there and that makes it all worthwhile.

We have had some very heavy rain here over the past few days - mostly overnight I am glad to say, but my decorator, who drove through the Dales and over into Lancashire today, tells me that in many places the roads were almost flooded with standing water.   Not for nothing is February known as 'February Fill Dyke'.   But hopefully next week has a forecast of dry, mostly sunny weather so hopefully everywhere will dry up apace.

I shall now go and look if there is anything on television to watch.   Saturday evenings are always non starters as far as I am concerned, so thank heaven for iplayer I say.   See you tomorrow.

12 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Yep we had wild weather here too! Bright today but still very windy!

Heather said...

How lovely to have a visit from your grandson. I can understand your eager anticipation.
Hope the car presents no problems when being serviced so that you can rest assured that everything is in good order and have the house to yourself again.
I looked up from my sewing yesterday afternoon and was shocked as it looked as if there was a thick fog outside. It was raining so much that it was as though the clouds themselves had dropped down.

Joanne Noragon said...

I do not know where the moisture came from, but one of our marshes has begun flooding the road. First time I've seen a High Water sign on that road.
How pleasant, a visit from a grandson! And, if he's on a bi-annual schedule, you will be here next time, I've decided.

Rambler said...

Oh I do hope you found Martin Clunes new programme tonight, 'Islands of America'. Not only a lovely and interesting tour of many islands, but a bonus of a banjo-player who was superb in getting the most out of the instrument.
I immediately thought of you as I know you enjoy travel programmes and of course, you are a banjo player.

Sue said...

How wonderful that you will see your grandson! My daughter lives across the country in San Francisco, and while I'm very proud of her and happy that she is happy, it is hard to have her so far away. Hope you have a wonderful visit.

angryparsnip said...

How exciting to see your grandson after 2 years.
As you know my family lives in Japan so it is always so much fun to see them. I used to visit every year but that is not something I can do anymore.
Have a lovely visit.

cheers, parsnip

Tanza Erlambang said...

you have lovely grandson.
have a wonderful weekend

Librarian said...

Oh dear, that spammer really went to town commenting on your blog :-(

Anyway, I am glad that almost all those jobs are finished, and even gladder that you will soon get to see your grandson! Two years is indeed a long time. I was lucky enough to live in the same town as my grandparents until their death, so we saw each other regularly and frequently.

lynda said...

Two of my three grandchildren live in the U.K. while we are in the US....my son and dil cannot afford 4 air tickets plus kennel fees for pets, so we fly to see them...I try to do two trips a year..it's amazing how many people feel the need to point out to me that I am young to the U.K. yet again....I point out back that if I only see those grandchildren once a year for the next ten years, I'll only have seen them TEN TIMES...and how often do they see THEIRS, who live near??? I hope you enjoy EVERY MINUTE of your visit. It's gotten bitter cold here on the East coast of the US....

Jomo said...

So pleased that all those jobs are done what a relief for you and Tess.I hope now you can spend some special time with your family and enjoy the company and the relaxation.The weather here in Coventry has been wet and windy. I am so grateful for a roof over my head and a warm bed. We have lots of rough sleepers in the city centre I do my best to befriend them and whilst I don't give them money I am happy to provide them with hot drinks and food.One girl has a lovely Staffie who adores the sausage rolls from Greggs she has a hot chocolate. One guy told me he would sooner feed his dog than himself. Shame on our pathetic politicians. Hope you are keeping warm x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for all your comments. Jomo - nice to hear about you giving food to both homeless and their dogs. I don't think we have any homeless in our little town - but we do have Big Issue and I think it is important to support them too.

Jomo said...

Yes you are right I buy the big issue if I can afford it we have so many sellers it's not possible to support them all.