Thursday 14 February 2019

Spring?

Today has been a Spring day until around half past two when it suddenly became a late Winter's day as the sun began to go down and the blue sky paled.   Still, it has been a lovely day and everywhere I look the snowdrops and the crocuses are out.  It does make one feel hopeful that it won#t be all that long before it really is Spring even if we do get a bit more winter yet.

I had to take my two grandsons into Northallerton this morning so that they could catch the train up to Glasgow to stay with their sister there for a few days before my grandson returns to China.   He has not seen his niece since she was a few weeks old and now she is almost three so he is looking forward to that. 

I came home, had a healthy salad lunch and have done little since.   It was a Petpals day for Tess so she had a nice long walk in the sun and has come back tired out.  Then a friend called and we had a nice chat.   Now it is my favourite antiques programme in half an hour, so I shall settle down to watch that. 

I noticed this morning when I walked round with Tess first thing that the blackbirds are singing along with the robins and the hazel catkins are beginning to look as though they are at least thinking about bursting.   It all does the soul good even if last year we did have that nasty shock of a spell of snow very late - things like that do make one wary of predicting what might happen over the next few weeks.   But we have got as far as St Valentine's Day without too much bad weather this year.

The farmer didn#t have a lot of time for Valentine's Day - thought it was all a bit false - but that didnt mean he wasn't a romantic at heart.   His flowers that he brought me would mostly be from the farm as he was walking round - bluebells from the wood, a tiny bunch of cowslips from the hedgeback, a handful of haselnuts or a handful of field mushrooms.    How I miss all these things.

17 comments:

angryparsnip said...

Your walks with Tess are full of wonderful news. I enjoy reading them.

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

Spring is such a lovely time of year, even if the weather is unpredictable. We began the day with slight fog then after lunch it became a beautiful sunlit cloudless day, but still a bit chilly.
My two least romantic children (or perhaps they are just hiding the fact) celebrate their wedding anniversaries today. I did receive a Valentine card from my husband before we were married but after that he didn't bother!

Derek Faulkner said...

Yes, very Springlike here on Sheppey today, very warm in the sun and a first Peacock butterfly.
Have never sent a Valentine's card in my life, very much think it's an over-hyped day that benefits the retail industry more than anybody else.

Sue said...

It has definitely felt like Spring today, beautiful.

Bovey Belle said...

Very warm and spring-like here today - I spent the afternoon gardening and think I shall sleep well tonight. We have had catkins out since December, but it's much milder down here as a rule.

Whilst we don't celebrate Valentine's Day, (we agree with your farmer) my husband did buy me some Tulips today as he knows I love flowers, bless him.

Lynn Marie said...

Those were the best kind of valentines.

Gwil W said...

I heard my first blackbird of the year singing just behind our house at dusk today. Not a Valentines card but something more precious.

ps- I gave my Valentine a bar of chocolate. The flowers are not growing in our garden yet. In fact I've been lopping a tree. Spring starts tomorrow. Forecast sunshine and temperatures between 10 and 15 C (50 and 59 F) for the next several days.

Joanne Noragon said...

It seems to have been spring all over the world today. For us, it was weather only, and still plenty cold, but bright all day long. I even was enticed out to take a picture, but I only took one and came back in, out of the cold!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely memory of the farmer.

Cro Magnon said...

I mowed the lawn yesterday, and even considered wearing my shorts.

Librarian said...

Remember how I said not long ago that I'd not seen any snowdrops or aconites yet? Well, they are out in force now, a sight to lift anyone's heart I think! It's been sunny for a few days in a row now and is forecast to get really spring-like over the weekend, with up to 15C on Sunday.
I doubt we've seen the last of winter yet; it has been happening like that for as long as I can remember; a few warmer days in February and then another cold spell in March. Fine by me!

thelma said...

Well festive days come and go, mostly at the behest of retailers, but never forget without days to celebrate where would we be? Love the idea of bringing back small gifts from the field. I look forward to the first pale primroses.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

My father always looked forward to Valentine's Day - it was usually the first evening when he could drive home from the farm without putting his lights on!

Tom Stephenson said...

They say that February 14th is the day the birds get betrothed.

Minigranny said...

I just heard a robin sing while I was in the garden and it really felt as though it was Spring! That was the best kind of bouquet that your Farmer used to give you !

Anne Brew said...

Always look at your blog first as it sums up a Yorkshire day so well.
Sharp but very nice and sunny in Sheffield.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Yes Tom we always used to say that about February 14th.

Thanks everyone for your comments.