Friday 30 June 2017

Early on Friday morning.

Sorry no post yesterday - just too busy to manage to put one on.   Today friend W and I are going on one of our favourite jaunts, across the Pennines to Kirby Lonsdale to meet our friends P and D for lunch in Avanti, our favourite Italian restaurant.

My friend, G, rang last night to say that she was not happy about Tess being left on her own for so long and could she fetch her for the day?   Could she fetch her for the day???  Tess will be ecstatic when G arrives - she adores her anyway and to go out will be an extra and will also make me feel much better about leaving her.

The restaurant where we go allows dogs but W takes her Jack Russell Sophie and She is not a sociable dog so they really can't both go.   W says she is happy to leave Sophie at home so that Tess can go, but Tess has never been in that kind of situation before and there are usually quite a few dogs there on Fridays, so I really don't know how she would behave.   Also, managing Tess and my stick would be difficult.

If you think I am going out a lot at present (I played Ukuleles at Singing for the Brain in Gayle, a tiny village near Hawes yesterday afternoon - and a brilliant afternoon it was too with everyone having such a lovely time) you would be correct, but to be honest I feel that I am only just hanging on to my sanity, what with grieving for the farmer, packing, dealing with admin from being an executor for his will, along with the solicitor, and still having no firm moving date.   I know everything will come right in the end but the whole process is something I could have done without.   It has all come together and it is almost too much to cope with.

We are hoping that as we drive West the weather improves today.   At present it is very dull and cool too.   The first fifteen miles of the journey are the same as the journey we made yesterday afternoon.   The road runs alongside the River Ure and yesterday it was 'banking' in places so we are hoping there has not been further rain overnight and that the water has gone down somewhat.   There is another road through Wensleydale, one which runs higher up above the river but there is always the possibility of flooding.

Friend G has just rung to say she is on her way to collect Tess - so off for a shower before she arrives.

27 comments:

Sue said...

It's over thirty years since I was in Wensleydale but I seem to remember there was the Askrigg side and the Aysgarth side before they joined in Bainbridge. You seem to be coping admirably Pat, the pressure must be considerable for you at the moment.

Rachel Phillips said...

Keep happy Weave.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I hope you have a lovely time over in Kirby Lonsdale. You are doing a great job of holding things together in this time of transition and mourning.

Tom Stephenson said...

'Singing for the Brain' would be a good name for a pop group.

Derek Faulkner said...

Are you really dealing with all that on your own Pat,no family helping you?
I can never understand why some people have to take their dogs everywhere with them, especially to a restaurant. When I go to our County Show there are always people dragging dogs around on leads on baking hot days with the dogs getting under people's feet and clearly not enjoying the trauma for several hours.

Sue said...

Knowing Tess is having a day with a friend will make your day away even more enjoyable, it's a really good idea and everyone benefits. I totally understand your need to keep busy and fill your time, and lunching with friends and time away from home can only be a good thing, especially while you are going through the trauma of moving house and having to downsize everything.

Our dogs are on their own for one day each week when I visit my Mum in Manchester, it's a long day for them but they have adapted well to it. They get a long walk the day before and the day after and a toilet lap of the paddock just before I leave and as soon as I get back, there are never any accidents, so they have obviously learnt to hold on.

If I come home early they are usually tucked up together in the big dog bed absolutely dead to the world, but when I get home on time they are sat waiting for me at the door, and I get a joyous welcome. I think dogs learn the way of the home they are in and it is just normal for them, and they enjoy a day away from us as much as we like a little break from them.

Linda Metcalf said...

A fun day for you and Tess...Keep it up!

Joanne Noragon said...

You are slogging through, one day at a time, and doing it very well. When it ends, you'll look around and congratulate yourself for doing it.

Heather said...

How kind of your friend to have Tess for the day so you can enjoy yourself without worrying about her. As they love each other it will be no hardship.
I think you are wise to go out as much as possible to help you through this very difficult time. I have hit a snag and will have to be patient a bit longer - just as I thought I would get a completion date, my purchasers' buyers have pulled out of their sale so everything has ground to a halt. Good job I am patient by nature, though it doesn't feel like it sometimes!

Minigranny said...

Hope that you have a lovely day out - you deserve it!

Derek Faulkner said...

Sue has got it dead right re. her dogs and mine are the same. Why would they want to be sitting under a table in a restaurant,

Dartford Warbler said...

Hoping that you had a lovely lunch with your friends Pat. I`m sure Tess enjoyed her day with your friend G!
I often think of you. You are doing so well, but no wonder things feel too much sometimes. You are doing a grand job. Take care.DWx

jinxxxygirl said...

Pat,

You know what they say when you are at the end of your rope..... tie a knot and hang on... i can only imagine what you are going thru..... If i were to ever lose the love of my life I think i would need peace and quiet and alone time to come to terms...... my thoughts and wishes are with you.....Hugs! deb

Mac n' Janet said...

It's good to stay as busy as you can in your situation. I don't know what I'd do in your situation, I think I'd be afraid to be alone. I'd want the company of friends and it sounds like you have such good ones.

Sue in Suffolk said...

It's brilliant that you are able to enjoy lots of trips out. Just keep on a bit at a time and you will soon be settled in your new home.
Thoughts are with you and thank you for always reading and commenting on my blog.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Hope the dog had a lovely time, and yourself. I envy the amount of constructive stuff you do

Jules said...

I hope you enjoyed your day with good friends. Keep on keeping on. Thinking of you. X

Theresa Y said...

Have fun and don't worry. Everything will come together. And soon, things will clam at bit. Enjoy your outing...

Rosie said...

I hope your day went well and you are now putting your feet up. You get through such a lot and your achievements inspire. Thinking of you often.

KitKatCot said...

We were on the last day of our holiday in the Cotswolds yesterday and we went for a walk through Batsford Arboretum. In front of us was a couple with 6 (yes SIX) Border Terriers. As we lived under the rule of one Border Terrier for 17 years, I take my hat off to them!

justjill said...

Hope you had a good day. One more day over and nearer your move. xxx

angryparsnip said...

Just keep doing one thing at a time. It will all come together.

Big hugs from Tucson
cheers, parsnip and thehamish xo

The Weaver of Grass said...

Some of these replies really hit home - thank you for them all they give me a boost at a time when I really need one. Home again now - it is cold and damp again tonight, so shall need my blanket on even if it is the last day of June.

Virginia said...

You have handled w-a-y more than I could have coped with - and kept all those 'balls in the air' when things must be so difficult for you - we're all cheering you on Pat. Tess will have had a great day, and it's much better that you didn't have to worry about how she would cope with other dogs in a strange situation. The other 'plus' of going out is that you haven't had to cook - YAY, I love it when I get a day off! A double win!

Heather said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog Pat. These things happen and I have given them a month to find another buyer, then I shall have to put mine on the market again as I don't want to risk losing the flat - it's perfect for me.

thelma said...

Keep on going out and enjoying yourself, grief can overwhelm at times but the pain will lessen with time.
Lucy goes out with us to restaurants, she is as good as gold and is welcomed by many people, but it is difficult holding dog and bag sometimes, so a third option of a stick as well! mmmm

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com. I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!