Thursday 9 September 2010

Thorpe Perrow Arboretum.









What could be better on a lovely Autumn day than a walk through a beautiful Arboretum in the company of a good friend and her dog? Well, today I did just that and am posting the photographs so that you can share in the walk.

Thorpe Perrow is on the edge of the little town of Bedale, which stands by the A1 trunk road, not far from Scotch Corner and the trans-Pennine route. It is only about twelve miles from home and an easy journey through pretty countryside, so we set off at eleven o'clock this morning.

Thorpe Perrow is the home of Sir John and Lady Ropner who have, over the last twenty or so years, turned their garden into a magnificent country park. Many of the rare trees are very old and very large. Old dead and dying trees have been cleared and new ones planted; whole areas have been grassed and replanted with suitable shrubs - it is a joy to walk round - and so large that you can walk for an hour and hardly see a soul.

There is a newish Bog Garden which is splendid. Tree trunks are being allowed to rot into the soil and the one in the photograph above is covered with magnificent purplish fungus. The house itself stands on the far side of the lake, so is nicely cut off from the main park. The lake has fish - lots of tadpoles in Spring - and is home to a pair of swans and countless coot, mallard etc.

Give the place another week and the Autumn colours will be really magnificent, but we felt we needed to go before the weather broke and already there are Autumnal signs, like the lovely rose hips in the photograph. And some of the trees are beginning to turn into their colours.

There is now a lovely cafe at the entrance, so we were able to sit outside in the sun and eat a delicious bacon sandwich and drink a cup of good coffee. A friend unexpectedly joined us and we had an hour's pleasant chat. Sometimes one has a day (or in my case two days as I enjoyed yesterday too) when everything goes really well.
As I have said before 'A moment enjoyed is never wasted.'

22 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What an excellent way to spend an afternoon.
I loved the line "There is a splendid bog garden" Words to live by.
I thought the house looked splendid too.
A good architectural period if you ask me.
Bacon sandwich nothing to sniff at either.
Cooler at last here in NY.
Yesterday we gave in and put the air conditioning on.
Today it is cool and lovely.

Heather said...

What breathtaking views and vistas Pat - thankyou for sharing your lovely day via your lovely photos. We live fairly near Westonbirt Arboretum which has an acer glad, much visited in autumn - the colours are amazing. Today I saw the first signs of leaves changing colour but it is still very warm.

George said...

What a lovely place, Pat. These small places, with the their quiet spaces and intimate beauty, are my favorites. I will try to remember to visit the arboretum on my next visit to your lovely country.

Titus said...

Ooh, worth it for the fungus shot alone! Fabulous.
I used to go to Westonbirt (Wiltshire, I think) at least once a month when I lived in Bristol. I love arboretums!
Cafe too? May have to consult the routemaster (human) to establish how long a drive this is for us. Boys' "topic", after The Titanic epic last year, is plants and living things this year.

Caroline Gill said...

Wonderful photos, Weaver. I love the reflections. Like Titus, I enjoy Westonbirt: acers in their autumn glory always lift the spirits and make me want to reach for camera or paint.

The Solitary Walker said...

Remember the Arboretum in Lincoln, Pat? It had a makeover a year or two ago...

Cloudia said...

I needed that !




Warm Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

ArtPropelled said...

Great that the tree trunks are left to rot into the soil because the life that they host is often so beautiful. I have a soft spot for mushroomy things. Lovely walk, Weaver.

ChrisJ said...

Lovely visit, weaver. There is no place like England for beautiful countryside.

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh it looks a lovely place to wander round, specially at this time of year

Totalfeckineejit said...

Mmm, BACON SANDWICH!

Unknown said...

Super photographs, Weaver, especially the toadstools! Glad you had a lovely day.

Dave King said...

My idea of heaven - especially having a bog garden.

Reader Wil said...

You are absolutely right: enjoy every minute of the day if that is possible!
What a beautiful walk did you take. This garden is so beautifully designed

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Can't imagine a more lovely way to spend the day. What a place. Might be going to England next summer, must see if this Arboreatum is anywhere near our planned visit. Thanks for taking me along - quite enjoyed it.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Gorgeous. Love arboretums (arboreta? who knows?) and your photos are fabulous.

Dartford Warbler said...

What a beautiful late summer garden.I hope you will be able to return when the Autumn colours are at their best. I used to love Westonbirt Arboretum when we lived near Bristol.

BT said...

Please forgive my absence Pat. I've been up to my neck in visitors and have just caught up! You are my first 'catching up' blog to visit! What a wonderful place to visit. I would love to go there, especially as it has a cafe too! I loved your photos and that purple fungus is amazing.

Reflections said...

How lovely. Thank you for taking me along on your afternoon walk, spending time with your friend.

Beautiful welcome to autumn.

Golden West said...

Always a pleasure to come along on your adventures, Weaver. What lovely grounds there!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Glad that you all came along on the walk - didn't we all enjoy it (and the bacon sandwich).

MorningAJ said...

Looks gorgeous. I've never been there but I can see why you like it there.