Wednesday 8 September 2010

A Satisfying Day.




Sometimes one has a day which is wholly satisfying. Today was such a day for me and it began at nine o'clock this morning with a visit from the Chimney Sweep to the chimney of our wood-burning stove. It is always lucky to see the sweep's brush sticking out of the chimney, so I have put on a photograph I took this morning, so you can all be lucky by looking at it. (Make a wish! After he had gone (it is a very quick, vacuum-cleaner job and takes no time at all) the farmer re-emulsioned the chimney breast with the same colour as it was before (would you believe it is called 'muddy puddle'?), I took down and cleaned all the pictures, china etc. and by mid-morning it was all spick and span.

After lunch Dominic and his wife and I all went to Ripon Cathedral to see the Great Northern Art Exhibition. This show is put on every year and showcases the very best artists in the North of England. I must say there was some very admirable work.
Art is funny though, isn't it? We all seem to like different things - there were some I would love to have on my wall and some I wouldn't give house-room to - and yet I would say they were all thoughtful, well-executed pictures.

afterwards we had coffee and scones in a little Bistro by the Cathedral and then came back home (it is around 25 miles from us to Ripon) - having a lovely discussion about life on the return journey. Dominic has been so busy during this school holiday - which ends tonight - that I have hardly seen him, so today was a little bonus.

Another jolly outing for me tomorrow as there was an e mail from a friend asking me out for the day when I returned this afternoon. Meanwhile two more Autumn photographs above, as well as the sweep's brush. First just to let you know that the swallows are gathering and discussing their journey; secondly to show you that the Japanese Anemones are taking over in my front garden again - as they do every Autumn. I try to eradicate them as they are such a nuisance, but their roots are cleverly positioned under the footpath and any attempt to get rid of them is doomed to failure. I must also say that once they are in flower I am pleased to see them (you can't please some people, can you?)

13 comments:

Golden West said...

Looks like it was more than a good day - but a whole string of happy days, Weaver. Such a lovely time of year as we transition between seasons. Your poppies are divine!

George said...

What a wonderful day for you, Dominic, and your family, Pat, and I am especially happy that it prompted the comments you just made on my blog. May the day continue to bless you.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

My husband used to do the chimney sweeping himself when we had a wood-burning stove, and we sometimes found sad things in there in the "elbow" where the pipe turned to go up the chimney -- little mummified frogs and lizards.

Unknown said...

What a day full of activity! Glad you are all spick and span again ready for the winter. It's a long time since I saw a sweep!

Titus said...

Thanks for the reminder about the sweep - must get mine done before we start lighting againg (getting nearer...).
I also wish I had your anenome problem - what a sight at this time of year!
Sounds like a perfect day for me - art and food!

As to Venti, if you have a paypal account click the button underneath the picture of if on the far right of the blog, and you should only have to follow simple steps to order and pay.
If you do not have a paypal account, e-mail me your address and I'll post them out whilst you post me a cheque. Simples!
I'm at TitusmckayATaolDOTcom

Titus said...

wow, has that bridge just appeared? Fabulous!
Anyhow, a good Samaritan has just informed me that you don't need a paypal account to pay by paypal (there's a poem in that!). Apparently any card will do it!

Reflections said...

What a fabulous day! First the sweep, a little clean up and then the trip with friends.

Art exhibits are always fascinating to me. I am like you, some I would gladly show on my walls, others, I spend much time trying to figure out the message so to speak - as a picture is worth a 1000 words.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for the comments. Isn't it odd how in some gardens Japanese anemones take over and in others they wont grow? Bit like people I suppose though.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Sounds like a truly wonderful day - accomplishing things at home and an art-filled outing with friends. It feels good to feel satisfied. I love your new header Pat.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hope everyone made a wish on seeing the sweep#s brush!

Heather said...

I tried to leave a comment on this post yesterday without success. I haven't seen a sweep's brush for years - no smokey fires for you this winter. I know what you mean about Japanese Anemones - they are lovely but rather pushy! Sad to see the swallows gathering, but they do make a lovely picture.

BT said...

What a super 2 days you have had Weaver. Isn't it wonderful to get a room all freshened up again? Our swallows are busy too and will soon be off I guess. I think they have had 3 broods in our barn this year. I love your pink flowers - don't eradicate them - send some to me! That reminds me, I have a little packet of columbine seeds here for you. I'll post them soon but you won't want to be planting them yet! They are a bit of a mixture of ours so I hope you'll be pleased with them.

mrsnesbitt said...

We were near Ripon last weekend - if you see a blue bike with 2 people on wearing blue helmets and the pillion has a duck backpack on - that's us! Give us a hoot!