Sunday 26 September 2010

I'm back!








I hope you like my new header. You probably can't read what the words say and my skills in blogland are too bad to change the colour to a readable one - so until Dominic is available to do it for me I shall have to tell you that the words tell that we have been to the Netherlands for a holiday - and the header is the lovely little fishing village of Hoorn.

Where to start. We have been for a few days to stay with very dear friends quite near to Amsterdam. The weather was very kind, the company was perfect, the food was splendid - and the things we saw were amazing. There - I have almost run out of adjectives!

Our friends took us to so many places. F remembered that I had said some time ago that I had always wanted to see Rembrandt's 'The Nightwatch' and that I loved painting by Van Gogh. So, where did we go on the first day - we went by very efficient train service into Amsterdam. First we went to Rijksmusem to see the nightwatch - oh my goodness me - how huge the painting is and how full of minute detail - from the gold embroidery on the clothes, the lace neck ruffs - and even the shadow of a hand on the coat of another.

Then it was across the square to the van Gogh museum - to see Fishing Boats on the Beach and A Pair of Old Boots - my two favourite pictures by Vincent. I have them in several books and I know them so well - but nothing prepares you for seeing them 'in the flesh' and seeing his use of colour.

We had lunch in the museum cafe and then went on a boat trip down the canals - a perfect day. I shall post photographs of this trip another day.

On the second day of our stay F and R had remembered me talking about what used to be called Zuider Zee - a place which fascinated me as a child. So where did we go?
We went to the lovely fishing village of Hoorn on the side of what used to be called Zuider Zee. We sat in a cafe for lunch - the farmer had the egg lunch in the photograph - I had something a little more ' gentle' a beef carpaccio sandwich. A grey heron sat close by us throughout lunch. There were working boats moving about and setting off into the Zee; there were fishermens' nets hanging over the sides of the bridge; there was a strong smell of fish in the air. The walk through the old town was beautiful. Sometimes it was sunny and sometimes cloudy, which accounts for the differing tones in the photographs - but it didn't rain, it was warm and so interesting. To finish off the day F drove us over the dam itself and we saw just how huge the area of water was and how cleverly it has all been controlled.

More about the Netherlands tomorrow. It has been the most marvellous holiday - but of course it is always nice to come home.

36 comments:

steven said...

weaver the header and the other photographs you've shared here step out of paintings themselves! the joy of yourvisit steps out clearly through your words. i am so happy for you that you had such an amazing holiday! can i be greedy and ask for more pictures and words?! steven

Rachel Fox said...

Mark was in the Netherlands earlier this year. He has only good to say about their public transport... expecially when compared to ours!
x

George said...

Welcome back, Pat. I love the photo you have chosen for the header and it appears you had a wonderful holiday in the Netherlands. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Golden West said...

What a wonderful getaway for you and the Farmer - looking forward to more photographs of your adventure!

Mac n' Janet said...

Many years since we've been to Holland, I remember seeing The Night Watch and being overwhelmed by how huge it was. Loved your pictures, my husband said the food looks delicious.

mrsnesbitt said...

Welcome back Pat! I too have had a change with my blog - more fitting for the change in weather! I have a basic knowledge of blogger so when I pop over I will help you all I can. Did you travel from Newcastle on the ferry to Ijmuiden? That is the route we take when we go abroad on the bike - a great place for sure. looking forward to the pics and nice to have you back.

Dxx

The Solitary Walker said...

Welcome back, Pat! That header photo is great. It just draws you into that canal...

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

What a wonderful trip it sounds like you had! Like the new header and love all your photos:)

MorningAJ said...

What a alovely trip. Glad you enjoyed it.

ArtPropelled said...

Phew that's quite an egg lunch!Weaver your header is making me want to travel again. We stopped over at Skipol for 9 hours and have always wanted to go back for a proper visit. One day! We will definitely go to Hoorn.

Pondside said...

What a beautiful header. I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip to the Netherlands, a country that is very familiar to me from years of living near Heerlen, in South Limburg. I remember visits to Amsterdam and a canal boat ride and the wonderful facades of the houses and businesses. Thank you for the trip down memory lane!

Michelle Palmer said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!!! You're so sweet to share your holiday~
Thank you :)

Heather said...

Welcome home Pat. The new header is beautiful, as are all the other photos. So glad you had such a lovely holiday - it sounds perfect. The farmer's lunch looks as if it would set him up for getting back to work! Looking forward to seeing more photos, please.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Welcome home Weaver.All lovely lovely lovely.The new header and other things and the Farmer's flock of fried eggs.Yum!

Shirley said...

Looks like an absolute dream vacation. Glad you had the opportunity to visit the art work of your two favourite painters. Great photos. I look forward to your boat trip.

Shirley

Jinksy said...

The header is a joy. Lucky you to have seen it for real! :)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

How wonderful!!
Your pictures are lovely and I know you must have had a marvelous time. Welcome back, for you were missed! And I look forward to more of your holiday!

Crafty Green Poet said...

welcome back, looks like you had a wonderful time, I love Amsterdam

freerangegirl said...

What beautiful pictures - looks like you had a wonderful time, Im looking forward to hearing more!

Gerry Snape said...

You are soo right Weaver...nothing prepares you for seeing Vincent as it were "in the flesh" I cried the first time I saw the bedrrom when in Amsterdam!!! daft woman.
Goed zo!!!

Hildred said...

So nice to have you back, Weaver, and with such lovely tales to tell and photos to show us. Charles and I have missed your daily postings. So glad you have had such a lovely time, - your friends sound so kind.

Penny said...

Glad you are back. Wonderful photos of a place I will probably never see, you obviously had a wonderful holiday.

Reflections said...

Wonderful photos and sounds like a lovely getaway with your dear friends. Seems as though they had your visit planned to meet all of your memories and wishes.

Jane Moxey said...

You were missed, Weaver! But so glad to hear and see that you've had a lovely holiday. Has anyone figured out why it's called The Netherlands and not Holland any more? Very thrilling for you to see works of art in person that you had only previously admired in pictures and books.

Dianne said...

Weaver, what a travelog, you'll turn me into a travel addict for sure. Ha, like that will ever happen.
New York and Philly are as far from California I roam so far.

beautiful pics.
you have an eye, I see what you see.
Dianne

ChrisJ said...

Imagine living with the canal on your doorstep, like that. Lovely photographs.

Robin Mac said...

I agree with Steven, can we have some more photos - these are really lovely. I am so glad you were shown the Zuider Zee - I remember learning about that in my primary school days. what a wonderful holiday. Cheers, Robin

Elizabeth said...

Looking forward to hearing all about it!
Yes, I looked at the header and went "That's not England!"
So glad you had a super trip.

MarmaladeRose said...

All those lovely buildings! I've got a bit of a thing for houses and buildings at the moment. Sounds perfect apart from the fishy smell!

Heather said...

Thankyou for your comment on my latest post Pat. Yes, it is hard to get started on a new project. I think you just have to make a start somehow and then things begin to flow. I usually do a lot of thinking before anything happens. I start with a theme or subject and during the preliminary preparations there is usually plenty more thinking time for ideas to be tossed about. A working strategy seems to evolve and new inspiration often presents itself. But be warned - I know I'm on to a good idea when I go to sleep thinking about it and wake up doing the same!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for your kind comments - I am glad you are enjoying the pictures. I think the country has always been called the Netherlands and Holland is but a part of it, but is often used to describe the whole.

Rosaria Williams said...

So beautiful and enchanting! I had no idea the Netherlands could be so stunningly beautiful.

Anonymous said...

YES! Brilliant. Thankyou.

Acornmoon said...

Thanks for taking us along with you to this very special place.

Reader Wil said...

Great post about Noord Holland! I am glad you liked everything and had a great time!

Jeannette StG said...

All of your pics made me smile, Weaver, because it's so typical Dutch! Glad you got to visit the Rijksmuseam - that's one of the first things I showed my kids who were at that time teens. For me it was showing them their heritage...