Saturday 18 May 2019

Saturday

It is neither wet nor fine today but something in between.   I needed to put the hood up on my anorak on both my walks with Tess and I could hear the rain pattering lightly on the top of my hood and yet holding out my hand to the elements I could barely feel a spot of rain.   The sun has not put in an appearance and the cloud and slight rain has meant that I can at least defer watering newly planted plants until tomorrow.

After the driving to Hawes and the busy day yesterday I am, on the advice of my Physio, taking it easy today.   I started out quite busy, going into town to do various errands.   Meeting W by accident meant that we stopped for a coffee which was pleasant, but then I still had trousers to take to the dry cleaners and a magazine on gardening to buy at the Newsagent.   By that time I was tired so I have deferred garden shopping until Monday when there will be less folk about. 

My Physio gave me a stern talking to about giving my brain too much information to process in a day and as a result feeling tired on the next day.   I am sure she has a point so I have listened to her and now I just hope I can keep it up.

Have you all noticed the May Blossom this year - both the sight and the beautiful smell.   It does the soul good - as does the sight of those delightful 'candles' fully ablaze on the Horse Chestnut trees.

14 comments:

JayCee said...

I hope you are resting now and avoiding the temptation to do too much. After watching Gardners' World last night we were motivated to get out and get going in the garden today but the steady drizzle has put a stop to that. We don't have any Horse Chestnut trees near us but I can just imagine how yours look now.

Derek Faulkner said...

Pat,

The programme about the Dales tonight, as at 7.00 not 7.30 as you replied in your last posting

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

There's a magnificent Horse Chestnut in my village and I shall make a point of walking that way tomorrow. There's been a threat of rain in the sky all day here, though so far it's been an empty threat.

Sue said...

The May blossom certainly seems magnificent this year.

Heather said...

No may blossom or horse chestnut candles near me but both remind me of my childhood and the lovely Buckinghamshire countryside were I grew up.
That is sound advice from your physiotherapist. I often feel tired for no apparent reason and wonder now if I am overloading my brain with too much to think about.
Hope you can get your garden shopping done tomorrow.

busybusybeejay said...

We have a Horse Chestnut in our garden(and a Beech).Both are enormous and have TPOs on them.The last couple of years very soon after getting its leaves they have gone rust coloured and died but we have still had conkers.It is an infestation that has come from EasternEurope and is moving north through Britain.We are in N Wales and have it ,my brother lives near Blackpool and it hasn't reached them yet.I hope you escape it.

Tom Stephenson said...

Yes Weave. The May blossom is always a treat, and this year very good.

Joanne Noragon said...

I like shopping at less crowded times, so much better.

Cro Magnon said...

Last year our Mays were like thick white balls, this year they're hardly covered. They must be having a rest.

Librarian said...

My hometown is full of horse chestnut trees, they are beautiful this time of year with their red and white candles.
Your physiotherapist has a point; balance is important.

Jules said...

There is a warm, sweet scent to the air at the moment. Beautiful.
It's good to know you are taking the Physio's advice on board. X

crafty cat corner said...

I am one of those people whose brain is always overloaded and I know its not good. Tom on the other hand can turn off just like that, wish I could.
Briony
x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek - I did watch it but they are repeats sadly so I have seen them all. The Wensleydale Railway in our little town is about two fields away from my bungalow.

Thankseveryone for comments. Sorry no post Sunday - no time to put one on.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

It is good to take a bit of time for oneself now and then. We have a very long street lined on both sides with very old Horse Chestnet trees and it is a glory when they are in bloom - but be careful when the chestnuts begin to fall in the autumn - you need a hard had to walk that street, and don't park your car under a tree. The street is named Chestnut Street - not sure which came first, the name or the trees.