Sunday 26 May 2019

Gardening.

One of the things I like about gardening, especially in a country like ours where the weather is so unpredictable, is that you never know what will happen next.   Yesterday morning, when my gardener still hadn't put in an appearance, I decided I really had to water each individual evergreen bush I had planted in my new piece of garden, so I went out and staggered back and forth from tap to garden with cans of water until every bush (12 in all) had had a canful.   I came in for a sit down and a coffee and glancing out of the window I saw that my gardener was mowing the lawn.   He just finished in time before it began to rain and it rained steadily for five or six hours.   It is still raining on and off this morning.   And how much better everything looks, not from my watering but from 'proper' rainwater.

Three of my pots are now filled with fresh soil ready to plant up for summer;  the plants sit there ready, all I need when I come back from my usual lunch out is a  bit of sunshine and then I can plant them up.  Another job done.

Did anyone take my advice from an earlier blog a few weeks ago and locate and read 'Happiness' by Aminatta Forna?  It is my choice for my Book Club which meets on the first Monday in the month.   I find the writing exceptional and I have so enjoyed the book.  I have already read it twice and am now reading it for the third time so that by a week on Monday I am well-prepared to discuss it.   The writing is exceptional.   Do look out for it.

Time to get ready for collecting friend W for lunch - expect it will be Salmon Florentine (salmon on a bed of spinah with Hollandaise sauce) with veggies as usual - it is so delicious I almost always have that (sometimes prawn salad with chips for a change but not on chilly days like today).   There is a huge menu but on the whole I like very little meat.   There is a large veggie menu too (one reason for this may be that we eat at the Golf Club on the army garrison where many Ghurkas are stationed) - usually at least six courses.

Might speak to you later if anything spectacular happens - otherwise enjoy your day.

20 comments:

Heather said...

I have noticed how well everything in the garden looks after a good shower of rain. It is definitely preferable to tap water. I hope you get your plants in after lunch today.
Thank you for the book recommendation - I will look out for it. Enjoy your lunch - I haven't decided on what to have yet and will probably inspect the fridge to see what needs eating first.

JayCee said...

I hope you do get your sunshine this afternoon, but don't overdo it in the garden!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Down here it's usually the other way around; rain is forecast but then nothing happens which can be equally frustrating! Enjoy your meal.

Granny Sue said...

Rain and rain and rain here. The gardens are appreciative. I will have to look for the book. Iy must be good if you have read it three times. Thanks for the recommendation.

bornfreev said...

Weaver, Forna's book "The Hired Man", another very good read.

Would love to see photos of your garden in bloom. I enjoy your blog - thank you for sharing.

justjill said...

Rain here all day. Hoping our new hedge appreciates it and gets going! Lunch sounds good.

shadypinesqltr said...

Yes, Weaver, I read the book after your recommendation. However, I had several interruptions while trying to read it and I lost the threads of the story. I need to go back and reread it as I have several unanswered questions about the outcome. For instance, what happened to her Fox study? I like her style of writing though. I'm have just started reading "The Paris Wife", by Paula McLain (book club pick) about Ernest Hemingway' s marriage.

Joanne Noragon said...

It just keeps raining here, and my garden and the weeds are sublimely happy. I'm just waiting on "the move" to pot up some pots.

Cro Magnon said...

It's good to go to favourite restaurants for a specific dish that you know they do well. When I was small my father used to take me to a German restaurant in Soho for their mixed grill; we never ate anything else there. We'd be looking forward to it for days.

Rachel Phillips said...

I cannot get enthusiastic about this book. You have mentioned it before and I have looked at it then. I don't believe I would like it as you have. Many reviewers describe it as dull and boring and not good writing and did not finish it. I note it is a book that writes about one character and then another, in separate chapters I believe, and this is a style of writing I am not fond of in novels and completely makes my decision for me not to read it. Also animals put me off. Interesting that you like the book so much. I wonder if opinion in your group will be divided.

Rachel Phillips said...

Did you never have the outside tap and hose fixed up for watering? Carrying so many can fulls of water does not seem like such a good idea for you at this stage of life.

Derek Faulkner said...

You are so lucky to have such good growing conditions. It's noticeable on your blog that every time your garden gets a tad dry along comes several hours of rain, plants must be sprinting away. Here, all we get is constant very warm and sunny weather with strongish drying winds and while that is quite enjoyable, the ground continues to become bone dry and cracked. The next couple of weeks don't forecast much change either.
Rachel's last comment makes perfect sense as well, why are you still lugging cans of water about?

Share my Garden said...

Dear Weaver, I pop along to your blog on a regular basis to get a weather report on life in the Dales but I do miss the photos that you used to post. Your header always gives me pleasure. (I was one of the first people to hold my wedding reception at the castle in the 1960's.) Your restaurant choice sounds good and I shall have to try it next time we are in the area in a few weeks time.
Meanwhile I'm longing for a bit of rain for my garden here in the South West.

thelma said...

Well I went and read the synopsis of 'Happiness', and to be quite truthful that is how I used to approach most fiction books. It looks good but I have come to a stage in life when I don't read most books. A pile rests on my table sadly.
But, apart from the rain, and it must have been a godsend, your weekend looks good, especially the meal.

jan b said...

Yes, my Book Club read Happiness on your recommendation and we all enjoyed it. My husband has also read and enjoyed it so many thanks. Jan Bx.

The Weaver of Grass said...

So glad Jan B that you enjoyed the book.

The Weaver of Grass said...

bornfreev Have just ordered The Hired Man - glad we both enjoyed Happiness.

The Weaver of Grass said...

ShASYPINESQLTR - I think the bits about wolves, coyotes and foxes were hard to understand - as to the fox study I think it came to a natural end as the relationship deeoened.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - it isn't a book that writes about characters in separate chapters - I don't care for books that do that. and yes - I do have outside taps for watering and the one in the front is just over the drive from my new bed of evergreens so not far to carry cans.

Rachel Phillips said...

It will be interesting at the book club to see if anybody found it rambling and unconvincing.