Thursday 20 September 2018

A Pleasant Day.

Waking up this morning, after a good night's sleep, I realised that the three days away from home has really done me a lot of good.   I felt rested and - after days when a cloud seems to have been hanging over me - it has gone and I feel much brighter again.

Everything was as it was before this morning.   Tess and I went for our morning walk along our usual route (my son took her on a walk yesterday evening as the weather was so bad and the wind so strong).   After that I went into town to the hairdresser and then sat for an hour and read the morning newspaper over my coffee.

This afternoon was the one each month when a small group of us (5 today) take our ukuleles and play at a local Golf Club for a gathering of elderly folk and their carers.   Small, manageable instruments are handed out (triangles, tambourines, various types of small drum) for them to play if they so wish.   We play all the old songs they will remember from their youth, we sing and they join in.   We all have a lovely time and thoroughly enjoy it.    It brightens up the day for those who are confused and for their carers who I am sure feel the need to be out with others.

It was a PetPals day for Tess so she wasn't here alone all afternoon but had a walk with Jean and maybe another dog or two. And it also meant that I didn't have to then go out for a walk with her - it is a tiring afternoon however enjoyable and satisfying it may be.   Now at half past seven it is dark and very wet again, with more rain and strong winds forecast for overnight and into tomorrow.

I shall now go and make myself a cup of tea and get ready to watch the Michael Palin programme about North Korea which begins tonight on Channel 5.

11 comments:

Sue said...

I don't like the sound of that weather. I hope it improves before we arrive back in the UK!

justjill said...

High winds and rain for the next few days here. So glad you felt the benefit of those days away.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

It's good to get away for a few days now and again - North Korea is bit extreme though! Monty Python to Kim Jong-Un is quite a journey!

Librarian said...

That sounds like a good day indeed! I am glad to know your little holiday did you good. As for the weather - only 4 1/2 weeks until I'll be in Yorkshire, hoping for some walking-friendly weather.

Joanne Noragon said...


We have leftover Florence blowing through. Is it ever!

Bonnie said...

I'm glad you realized the trip was worthwhile after all! If it seemed too tiring at first maybe next time you can stay a little longer and then take a slower pace when sightseeing. It is always good to be home though and I know Tess was happy to see you.

Heather said...

It's wet and windy here tonight and I timed things badly for shopping this morning, getting rather soggy in the process.
Nice to hear that you and Tess each have your own social calendar!
So pleased your short holiday perked you up and gave you the lift you needed.

Derek Faulkner said...

A short break away from home does invigorate one, I know my weekend on Dartmoor last weekend did a lot for lifting my mood and thoughts.
Apparently it has been a wet day today (Thursday) for most of the country - not so as usual here on Sheppey. It's beginning to look as if we're heading into our third dry winter and the nature reserve I'm involved with is now looking quite dry again.

Cro Magnon said...

As Sinatra said, 'it's nice to go travellin', but oh so good to come home' (or somesuch).

Rachel Phillips said...

I enjoyed Michael Palin in North Korea last night. Simon Reeve could learn a few things from Palin on how to visit a different culture and not find fault with every single thing he sees just because it is different.

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

'No, not one soul will perish
who puts their trust in Me'
-Jesus