Sunday 16 September 2018

Weather

I am sitting at my computer at the back of the house.  The sky is black, the patio is wet and the outlook is dismal to say the least.  I go through to the sitting room on the front of the house.   In the distance I can see the Moor.   The sun is shining on it and the sky above it is a pale, washed out blue.   By the time I return to my computer the situation has reversed.   To add to this there is a strong wind blowing.    I think we can say for sure that Summer is but a distant memory.

But can we indeed remember it?   I stood on the path by the front door when I took Tess out this morning trying to remember just what it was like standing there on one of those scorching hot mornings that made up our Summer this year.   I couldn't remember.  Can you?    Funny how quickly we forget isn't it (even though some of us complained that it was just too hot for comfort!)

Then I switch on breakfast TV for the headlines - Hurricane Florence in the Carolinas is wreaking havoc (thank goodness I don't live there), there is a Typhoon which has done huge damage and caused terrible flash-flooding on the opposite side of the world and now making for Hong Kong in a slightly reduced state.   I think I will settle for what we usually have here.

Many of the people in the path of that Typhoon had little to start with - now they have literally nothing but the clothes they are wearing.

Then I think of Gayle (Square Dogs on my Side Bar) who has once lost her home to forest fire living as she does close to the desert area.   We might all think we are so clever in the huge progress we have made scientifically, but when it comes down to it we are all, everywhere in the world, at the beck and call of the weather and what it throws at us.


22 comments:

Tom Stephenson said...

The good thing about weather is that most people can only live in the moment under it, and recalling long, hot Summers in the Winter is a lovely diversion. Good Summers always seem like they will never end, especially if you are a child.

Rachel Phillips said...

Cup half full or half empty Weave?

Sue in Suffolk said...

We have another sunny day and very warm out of the wind - summer is clinging on here -except for early mornings chillyness and dark by 8pm

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, I can recall sheltering in a basement or a closet as a tornado ripped through my neighborhood. Weather can be terrible.

Heather said...

Nature rules OK! It is good to remind ourselves that there are some things that man cannot control. My sympathy to all those who are affected by the dreadful storm in south east USA.
I have to confess to being more comfortable now that it is cooler. This is the first year that I have embraced autumn. Usually I don't like to part with summer and maybe if I still lived in the north I would feel the same. It is usually cooler there at all times of year. I hope tomorrow is a more cheery day for you Pat.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I was looking forward to growing into a grumpy old man, but the more I look around the world the more I realise that I don't have anything to complain about.

thelma said...

I am enjoying the weather, though we could do with more rain, but the wind is warm this side of Yorkshire. We should be grateful for what we have got, the terrible floods in Carolina and the terrible typhoon on the other side of the world are sharp reminders of how weather systems are on the change and how they wreck the lives of people.

Gwil W said...

We have summer today. The temperature on the black tarmac on the motorway is 37 C. That's about 12 C warmer than the air temperature. This surplus black heat will be radiated into the atmosphere during the night. I shake my head when I see large black tarmaced supermarket car parks without any thought of greenery being planted or using another material.

Derek Faulkner said...

I'm also sitting at my laptop. It's 16.40 and I'm back at my partner's house in Surrey after our lovely weekend on Dartmoor, staying in a lovely old thatched roof inn. It's very warm and cloudlessly sunny in the garden here. My dog is asleep in the sun and I'm hoping that this weather will last for some time yet, which it's forecast to here in the South. I look back longingly at the heatwave summer because I enjoyed it and didn't complain because it was too hot.

Librarian said...

Our hiking holiday in the Bavarian Forest has come to an end, but we've been having a nice sunny weekend here at my home before OK had to leave for his home 150 km away around lunch time.
We're in for another summery week here with temperaturs up to 29 Celsius during the day, but the nights are definitely cooler now which makes sleeping easier than during the heatwave.
Apparently, autumn will truly be here by next weekend. I am ready for it, much as I did enjoy the warmth and the sun.

Rambler said...

I tried not to complain about the heat this summer, but honestly felt exhausted on many days. Sat out in the garden under a large parasol but even then had to retreat to my cool bungalow. Now it's cooler, I feel more comfortable but living on Bodmin Moor I am often in thick fog and horizontal rain. But as you say, far better to live here than in many places abroad with their extreme weather.

wherethejourneytakesme said...

summer is certainly a distant memory now. The amount of adverse weather these days around the wworld seems more frequent and more destructive - or are they just reporting more?

angryparsnip said...

I can not belive you have cold weather already. It is Fall here the days are still over 100+ but getting cooler, Evenings are around 75 to it is very nice.
Do not think twice about using my name. Some of your blog friends are my friends and I have talked about the wildfire. So not a problem on my side.
Hug to gud dug Tess !

cheers, parsnip and badger

Cro Magnon said...

Still around 30 C here, and we're still swimming daily. It can't last; it really can't last.

Rachel Phillips said...

24 C in Norfolk

Derek Faulkner said...

12.00 Monday and a very warm 22 degrees and sunny here on Sheppey in Kent. Not a cloud in sight.

jinxxxygirl said...

All good Weave? Missed you for two days!! :) Hugs! deb

Ruth said...

Here in central Pennsylvania we're having a day of sunshine, temps to be in the 80's F. We've had a summer of rain, rain, rain, and now fall is in the air.

Hoping with all my heart that you and Tess are both safe and well!

Anonymous said...

I hope that you and Tess are ok and just taking time off.
Take care, Sue.

Heather said...

You have gone very quiet Pat. I do hope all is well.x

Barbara Anne said...

I join the others in missing you and Tess and wishing you both well. Hope you're both having fun and staying warm wherever you are.

Be good to you!

diana said...

I am checking on you too....hope you and Tess are well.