Friday 28 September 2018

Perfect Day

Today has been a perfect 'end of September' day.   It has been sunny, still and warm - not a cloud in the sky all day.   There was plenty of market to look round (our market stall holders mostly only come when the weather is right - apart from the fruit and veg men, the fish men and the cheese man.)

Friend W and I went to usual restaurant but found that the 'posh' bit where we usually treat ourselves on Fridays was fully booked because there was a Fashion Show.   So we went in the cafe instead.   W had gammon, egg, chips and pineapple and I had sausage, onion gravy and mash.   All was delicious. 

When I got home Tess had been on her Pet Pals walk so there was no need to take her.   This left me to do what I was determind to get done before the weather cooled down.  I had bought three large terra cotta pots and a variety of bulbs.   I potted up a pot of miniature narcissus, one of tete a tete daffodils and one of iris reticulata.   I gravelled the top of the pots with horticultural grit and they are now standing on the patio looking rather nice.   Then I swept the patio well (it needed it), watered the pots and came in, put my feet up for an hour for a rest and now feel very satisfied with my day's work.   Now to take Tess for a short walk.

11 comments:

Ellen D. said...

You certainly seem to have a lot of energy lately!! Making me feel as if I had better get busier at home!! I had to google "gammon" as I had no idea what that was - looks like ham, right? I learn so much about other people/countries by reading blogs! Thanks so much for sharing your life with me!

Heather said...

So pleased you had a lovely autumn day in Yorkshire, ours started chilly and gloomy but perked up in the afternoon.
Your pots will look lovely in the spring. I used to love the anticipation of waiting for bulbs to show themselves and then watching them grow.

Bovey Belle said...

We had sunshine again too - though sadly we weren't on the beach today (in Hay instead). Glad you had a good morning out and lunch and you area ahead of me with the bulbs. Must give myself a shake!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Glorious here today too. You've reminded me that I was planning to pot up some daffodil bulbs, maybe this weekend.

Bonnie said...

I'm happy to hear you have had a good Autumn day. I love this time of year. I rode my bike this morning and the weather was just perfect with a cool breeze. I say we should enjoy it while we have it for winter will come soon enough.

donna baker said...

Those pots will be glorious come spring.

justjill said...

I am champing at the bit to pot up some geraniums that have been in the fence troughs to overwinter indoors. They have done so well and I do not want the frost to kill them. I rescued some last year and they have done really well. Glad you had such a lovely day. Mine was good too.

Derek Faulkner said...

After a glorious week here on Sheppey, early this morning on the reserve came as a shock, grey skies, a near gale force cold N. wind and the need for coat and gloves. But it did become sunny this afternoon and tonight there is a huge moon coming up.

Tom Stephenson said...

I prayed for a September like this and, Lo, it was answered... Now for a white Christmas.

Cro Magnon said...

My wife has been planting Daff bulbs in pots; I shall suggest she puts gravel on the top too.

sanpiseth40 said...

Hi all dear !!
great article and information, with your blogcomment.
I see your blog daily, it is crispy to study.
Your blog is very useful for me & i like so much.
I love your posts and everything looks wonderful. I love your idea.
thanks for sharing.
หนังสยองขวัญ