Saturday 20 May 2017

Our Favourite Walk

But a short distance from the farm is a Lane; it is a Public Foothpath through the beautiful woodland called Givendale.   It is our favourite walk because it is safe for Tess to be off the lead (she has little or no road sense) and we rarely see another person - occasionally deer, often rabbits, sometimes a brown hare but rarely a human.

I was up with the lark this morning, having gone to bed quite early, and so off on our walk by half past eight.   I can make it a round trip - in this case call at The Lane for a walk (about half a mile there and back), drive on into town, collect a Guardian news paper (my choice on Saturdays),  drive up to the tip (itself a scenic journey through fields full of lambs) with my latest load of old clothes, dishes I no longer want etc., and then back home.

In addition to my newspaper I bought myself an indulgent small chocolate bar and when I got home I made a pot of coffee, ate my bar, drank my coffee and read the paper.

The next time I looked at the clock it was almost midday and time to cook my Jersey Royals with carrots, broccoli and mange tout and two quickly fried fillets of sea bass for lunch.

Here are some photographs of the Lane so that you can enjoy the walk too.   The first part is open to fields either side and then it is lined by Givendale Wood.   If we could walk far enough (for 'we' read 'I') we could carry on across the fields and eventually arrive back at the farm.

There are patches of pink campion - such a delightful pink - and patches of Lady's Mantle (alchemilla); the trees are coming into leaf and the birds were in full throttle this  morning; sadly no cuckoo (although both my son and my daughter in law have heard one this year.)




24 comments:

donna baker said...

Pat, that is the perfect path. No gravel, just trodden by footsteps. Beautiful.

Sue said...

That walk does look delightful. Does Tess come to you when you call her?

justjill said...

So beautiful and peaceful. Just what one needs. Will you still be near enough to walk there when you move?

Rachel Phillips said...

Thank you for the photographs. The perfect lane for a walk. Nice to see it. xx

Derek Faulkner said...

Wow, not only a great description of a perfect Saturday morning but lovely photos of what looks like a fantastic walk, I bet Tess enjoys that.

Librarian said...

Very beautiful - not just The Lane, but also your description of a Saturday morning the kind I would like to have more often. Thank you for taking us along!

DUTA said...

When walking on such a lane one feels at One with Nature, and that's a wonderful feeling.

Gail, northern California said...

Keep writing. Your postings are therapeutic--providing a calmness we all need.
A joy to read that you too give in to the occasional chocolate bar. There are times when nothing else will do.

Heather said...

What a delightful walk and a lovely morning too, by the look of it. I daresay your coffee and chocolate bar went down very well when you got home.
I have just heard that the contract for my flat could be ready next week. It has thrown me into a new frenzy of getting rid of things which will be surplus to my requirements when I move out. The hallway is beginning to fill with large bags of household stuff and I will be very pleased when they have found new homes.

littlemancat said...

Thank you for a wonderful description of a morning well spent. And the photos too. What a beautiful place you live in and enjoy.
Mary

Yorkshire Pudding said...

You will miss that lovely walk when you are living in the metropolis of Leyburn but you can always stick Tess in the back of the car and return... once in a while at least.

Jill said...

Lovely pictures both real and mental images.

yellowtulip118@gmail.com said...

Thank you for letting me accompany you on your walk, as that's how it felt as I read your words. What a pretty and peaceful walk which I hope you will be able to walk again after your move.

Wilma said...

Is that Tess out in front of you in the first photo? Looks like a very pleasant and enjoyable walk.

Tom Stephenson said...

That is a LOVELY walk, Weave. Your Night Scented Stock seeds should arrive around Monday.

Joanne Noragon said...

Beautiful weather, too.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I love red campion, not enough of them around. Your walk through woodland looks lovely

Robin Mac said...

What delightful photos pat, no wonder you love that lane. I am always intrigued by talk about seeing a cuckoo in England. Do you have only one variety there? I assume it makes a pleasanter sound than the cuckoos we have in Australia. Most of ours have dreadful screeching sounds, very loud and intrusive. The Koel cuckoo calls right through the night - not helpful if you are trying to get to sleep. I assume your cuckoo has a pleasanter sound. Cheers

Penny said...

Such a lovely walk. Love your photos.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

A lovely satisfying morning in a beautiful place. I enjoyed your photos. Be well.

Cro Magnon said...

And Cow Parsley too; what more could you want.

Alphie Soup said...

What a wonderful way to start the day. And then lunch with Jersey Royal potatoes on the plate. So good. I'm a big fan of potatoes on the plate.

Alphie

thelma said...

Looks a lovely walk, and the weather this weekend has been good. Glad Alphie Soup eats his potatoes on a plate ;) Had my first Jersey potatoes yesterday - delicious.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Our favourite lane is equidistant between where I lie now and where i am moving to - so I should still be able to walk it regularly thank goodness.
And yes, cow parsley too Cro - it lines all our lanes with a froth of lace at the moment.