Friday 24 June 2016

The population has spoken.

Well, polling day is over, votes have been cast and it seems that the 'leave' have overwhelmingly won the day.   Now we have to live with that whether we like the way things are going or not.   We are a democratic country - even if the majority of us have no idea about the real facts of leave/stay.

I for one am not listening to any news bulletins today - I just can't bear all the inquests and all the politial pontificating.

If you want to read a sensible, reasoned- out view of the whole procedure then go to the bad hip perspective on my blog roll.   The writer lives in Sweden so has no real interest but she does write some sensible comments - do read them if you have time.  (I have no religious views so that is not a factor in my recommending you read it,)

Luckily we live way out in the country, in beautiful scenery, where there is always plenty going on in the fields - so I intend to immerse myself in that and in the love of friends for the next few months until things settle down.

In the meantime spare a thought for the South East of the country where they seem to be suffering from a surfeit of rain.  Derek(Letters from Sheppey) speaks of awful wet weather on the reserve where he volunteers - that will surely mean an awful lot of young birds perishing in the poor conditions.

Spare a thought also for the refugees from Boko Haram in Nigeria, many of whom are dying from starvation as they flee their villages.

What is the world coming to?  It hardly bears thinking about.

13 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

Thanks for the sympathy for the wildlife down here in Kent, Pat, it's been a difficult few days for it in the torrential rain. Today however, has seen very warm and sunny weather with a stiff breeze and so things are drying out fast at the moment. Like you pointed out, there are definitely worse things to worry about than politics and I hope that you are having another pleasant day in the Dales.

donna baker said...

I will read that post about Brexit Pat, as I really know nothing about it. I don't know the demographics of the votes which will be telling I think. I even wonder if it is about bailing out countries like Greece and immigrants etc. I just don't know, but I think you are right in that this whole thing will snowball and I just hope all eventualities have been well thought out. Guess we all just have to hold on for the ride.

Elizabeth said...

Yes, family and friends and gardens.....and trying to help one another. We need to be kind.
Seems as if the forces of fear and bigotry are out there winning.... makes me fear that we will get the xenophobic hate monger Trump here in the autumn. Have been crying for my country of birth since this morning.
Am not even pretending that I agree with the will of the people - I feel now is the moment to be honest and stand up for what I believe in. Yes, I quite understand that some of the EU regulations are utterly stupid - particularly with regard to agriculture.
Pity Cameron signally failed to negotiate better terms within the EU.
Still can't stop crying....
will now go for a walk!
Hoping you and the farmer are well and enjoying some summer fruit.
First cherries at the green market this morning.

angryparsnip said...

I hope all will be OK when things settle down from the Brexit vote.
You are very lucky to live where you do. I would be outside watching and listening to the chickens.
I love the little clucking sounds they make.

cheers, parsnip and thehamish

jinxxxygirl said...

Hi Pat! Thank you for the Birthday wish!! :) i went Bad Hip's blog and read the post you mentioned....Still didn't tell me what i really want to know... I'll just have to Google it..LOL! I want to know what the benefits are for staying in the EU and what the benefit would be in leaving.... Hugs

Heather said...

I shall try to 'keep calm and carry on' and wait for all the pontificating to die down. We have come through far worse times before and there is no reason why we can't cope with this. Who knows - the scaremongers might be wrong and there might actually be one or two benefits. Enjoy your lovely countryside Pat and I shall work in my garden, weather permitting.

John Going Gently said...

My brain hurts pat

Cro Magnon said...

All too depressing, and I think it's only just the beginning. Maybe it would be best to ban 'The News' for the next couple of years.

Rachel Phillips said...

Heather has got it right.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Our ancestors had to get on with everyday life, hearing little about what was happening elsewhere. Even London would have seemed a million miles away. Though I am sure it was hard I believe there was a kind of beautiful simplicity in that kind of life. Today we know too much and it gets in our heads - diverting us from the simple life of seasons, family, neighbours and making meals.

Devon said...

I wonder what is causing so much dissatisfaction in both of our countries. Yours giving birth to the Brexit and in mine, Trump. I can no longer watch the news on TV. I just believe that in time rationality will help us find our balance again. In the meantime I will take care of my patients, spend time with my sweet sister suffering with stage 4 cancer and tend to my garden.

Jayview said...

I think many of us throughout the world want to break out of 'the iron cage of democracy' and want the increasing social inequality addressed. In Britains case though I don't think these are just the fault of the EU or will be helped at all through Brexit. I hope for all your sakes I am wrong. We have an election in Australia next week and the appeal to fear threatens us with politicians who will not take climate action or treat asylum seekers decently.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. Seems a trite comment to make but 'we are all in this together' seems appropriate.