Tuesday 28 June 2016

More or less back on track.

Apologies for being rather incommunicado for the past few days, but I have been incredibly busy for some reason.   And for 'busy' read 'housework' which makes the excuse sound almost boring.  I suddenly saw my kitchen with the eyes of a visitor - the large welsh dresser, which is covered in things, needed a good clean;   the work tops also.   The fridge needed emptying and washing out before my this week's order from Tesco arrived at 8am.   It's all very boring stuff, so I won't go on.

This morning a dear old friend, who lives in Kent but was up this way for a few days, called in for coffee - what a delight it is to see old friends.   She was brought by a friend of hers who turned out to know my friend W very well - what a small world it is these days.

This afternoon I had to take Tess to the vet.   In spite of taking on board all your suggestions regarding cures for her hay allergy, after her cut and blow dry yesterday it revealedjust how much she had scratched and how irritated her skin was.  The only thing on the list you all contributed to which I hadn't tried, was the cortisone injection.  So I went to the vet to ask her advice.   She didn't advise it but gave me some tablets which are a fairly new treatment for the condition.   Tess had her first one, wrapped in a little ham parcel, at tea time.  We shall see.  I have to report back to the vet after a week whether I see any improvement.

All political talk is banned in our house until further notice (much to my son's annoyance).

Now all I have to do is to choose my poems to read at tomorrow's Poetry meeting.   I have already chosen one, which you can read on my nephew's (by marriage to my niece) post (The Solitary Walker) - Alexander Pope's 'Happy the Man' - to my mind a perfect antidote to all the talk of the referendum.

14 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

Blimey, I hope my dogs never get that allegy. This morning they were running through grass, two feet higher than them and with clouds of pollen coming off it. So far they have always been OK. The biggest and sometimes most expensive problem, is when the grass darts start detaching themselves and getting in the dogs ears and paws.

Terry and Linda said...

I sure hope this works, having a sick dog is like having a sick baby. You try to hard to help, but they don't understand.

Linda

Mac n' Janet said...

We try to never have any political talk, it's just too depressing.

Joanne Noragon said...

Two of my best, best friends are polar opposite of me, politically. We've never discussed it, except this year. They both feel the need to abandon the party of Lincoln. Well, Reagan. No one remembers Eisenhower.

Frances said...

Weaver, after reading your post, I glanced around my apartment, and was glad that it's now after sundown, and only a few lamps are on. Perhaps I will feel a renewal of the cleaning inspiration I absorbed from your words.

Hoping Tess will respond to the tablets. Do you think that she will accept the ham-enclose encouragement a second time?

it's gotten hot and humid here and I admit to having spent some hours today with a book.

xo

Terra said...

I hope those tablets are healing for Tess. Political talk can be frustrating because we all think we are right!

Cro Magnon said...

May I suggest Kipling's Gunga Din.I love it.

angryparsnip said...

I have been on a cleaning binge but for me it takes so long to finish one job.
After it is done I do feel better.
I hope the tablets hel Tess. The cortisone shot could help but it is not a great choice.
I can be very damaging to dog and I really do not think it helps that much.
xx to Tess.

cheers, parsnip and thehamish

Librarian said...

It may sound like a boring subject to some, all this housework, but I find it highly satisfying and actually like doing such things as clearing out and cleaning, provided I have the time. The only household task I don't like is cleaning windows! Mine are in urgent need of a good wiping, but... I find excuses such as "it'll just rain again two minutes after I've finished", which is probably true!
Poor Tess, I hope the medication works.

thelma said...

Poor Tess, it can't be much fun to itch, nature can be particularly virulent, and our 'cures' can be just as harmful as the illness. Think that although the politics do not really affect us when we arrive at a certain age, it is best to take note of them.

Coppa's girl said...

We put our dogs onto an anti-allergenic kibble during the summer months, and it seems to work well. It was recommended by the breeders we had them both from. Our vet isn't keen to give cortisone, if she can avoid it.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. The new regime has started with Tess - she does seem rather sleepy. I don't know whether this is the tablets or not, but I shall give her them for a week and report back to the vet.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I've been on a cleaning / organizing / outdoor yard work frenzy getting ready for a gathering, and last night, I looked up. We have a stucco ceiling in the den (it was already there when we bought the house). Oh my. I never realized how many webs and dusty strings of webs cling to that ceiling!! Needless to say, I put the extension on the vacuum hose and dealt with it right away.
Housework is boring, but necessary. -Jenn

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I wish all political talk on the planet was banned for the forseeable...