Thursday 31 July 2014

Thursday again.

Have you noticed how, if you have regular appointments at the same time each week, the weeks seem to fly by?   Thursday at 1pm is my Hairdresser (I cannot remember the last time I washed my own hair - I hate doing it).   This means an early lunch (meals are very regular here on the farm, so that the farmer knows what time to come in- his mother trained him well).

After that I usually do a little shopping in our little market town - stocking up on bits and pieces so that all I have to do tomorrow is to buy my fruit and vegetables from the market after our weekly coffee jaunt (another thing to make things go quickly through the week).

Then, at half past four a gang of us are off the see 'Best Exotic Marigold Hotel',   I think that all but one of us has seen it before - but it has such a 'feel good factor' we thought we would go and see it again.  Do we imagine ourselves in that kind of situation?   I suspect we do a bit.   Well - we can all dream you know.

All these things serve to shut out the awful world situation.   I can't do anything about it (except despair) so best to get on with life - although it is not enough.

My friends S and D finish their Land's End to John O'Groats walk today; they have been walking since May 18th and are to be congratulated on finishing.   Photographs if and when I receive them. 

 

11 comments:

Canadian Chickadee said...

I think you're very wise to enjoy the "little" things in life. Which really aren't so little, if you stop to think about it. I've been dreading the arrival of the daily papers lately. Coward that i am, I usually start with the comics and the crossword, and work up to the front page after I've had my morning cup of tea. Enjoy the "Marigold Hotel." We've been watching a lot of stuff on video -- mostly old stuff like the original Midsomer Murders, and earlier this week, The Full Monty. xoxox

Cro Magnon said...

I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be better NEVER to listen to the news. But then it doesn't pay to bury one's head.

Joanne Noragon said...

The comfort of a "gang of friends" is above all else.

jinxxxygirl said...

I agree with Cro....... it is tempting to just bury ones head even if you know thats not the thing to do...

Ofcourse i think ever since the invention of the nuclear weapon we've all been on borrowed time...

Live each day to the fullest. And i think you have been doing that with that gang of friends of yours. I haven't seen that movie yet but i plan to. :) Hugs! deb

Heather said...

Congratulations to your friends on completing their epic walk.
I think some weeks have more than one Thursday in them!
The news is appalling and just seems to get worse. I am almost afraid to watch the news now and just feel helpless, very angry, and want to bang political heads together.
Enjoy Marigold Hotel again - I loved it.

angryparsnip said...

I think enjoying the little things is indeed the best way.
After writing about what is going on in my state I feel like crying. But really what good does it do . and I go outside and see all the wildlife and the I have the Square Ones.... so I enjoy the day and keep busy.

cheers, parsnip

Rachel Phillips said...

I also hate washing my hair and go to the hairdressers once a week, as you probably know from my blog. I enjoy going and it is my treat to myself.

My mother gave up watching the News towards the end of her life and I thought she was mad, now I think I understand a little bit why. I only listen to radio news now.

Amy said...

I have to wash my hair every day, it's long and thick and usually looks like a gollywog when I wake every morning lol. As for the movie haven't seen it yet but might check it out.

Hildred said...

Love the Marigold Hotel - last night I watched a DVD of The Quartet with Maggie Smith and it delighted me too, - music was marvelous.

I watch local news - the actual world news is despairing and the way it is presented by the media even more so.

My hair is naturally curly, - for a long time I wore it in a chignon, - now I just get a good cut once a month, wash it in the shower and let it go its own way!!!

Gwil W said...

I mostly watch the TV news on various channels: e.g. ORF (Austria), CNN, BBC WORLD, AL-JAZEERA, EURONEWS, N-TV Germany, and RT (Russia), to try and get an overall balanced picture. The difficulty is all the propaganda.
I heard on the lunchtime news that the UN's 3-day cease fire in the UnHoly Land lasted a mere 3 hours before 40 people were blown to smithereens, mostly innocent people it is normally, of the other side. They can't escape the horror.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Best Exotic as enjoyable as it was last time. Takes one's mind of all the troubles for a couple of hours.
Thanks for calling in.