Monday 28 July 2014

Isolation or in a crowd?

Yesterday's post brought some interesting comments on where to live.   Cro prefers to live in a small community of just one or two houses, away from 'civilisation'; others prefer to live in small towns and some prefer city life.

Often, when we are driving through The Dales, we pass isolated barn-conversions which are really beautifully converted and I look at them and imagine living there.   Our friends K and J live in just such a conversion.   They have a large field surrounding their property and it is reached down a long lane.   They have a horse, and a few sheep and their life is idyllic.   But, they are young.

As old age creeps up on one - and believe me, that is exactly what it does - these small hiccups don't happen overnight, they occur when you least expect them - you have to be realistic and think of moving nearer to civilisation.  

I have a dear old friend, J, who lives in Lincolnshire (the county of my birth and childhood) and quite often we communicate by telephone. She still lives in the village where we were both born and where we started infant school on the same day.  She is about to have a knee replacement next week and various folk are rallying round to help her and her husband over the next few weeks.   It's called 'community spirit' and it does give one a warm feeling.

Do you read 'Going Gently' on my side bar?   If you don't then I do urge you to start reading John's daily doings.   His life is the best example of community spirit that I know.

Here, the farmer and I are fairly isolated - just one neighbour (expecting a baby today, so we are eagerly awaiting a new baby any day now) - the nearest houses are three fields away or perhaps a mile round by the road.   There are various other farms nearer than that but they are down various lanes. so we never feel isolated.  However, I don't think I would like to live here alone.

Each to his own is the answer I suppose.   I have friends who are city dwellers and the thought of living way out in the country would drive them crazy.   I have tried both - and enjoyed both - but the country wins every time.   How else would I know when the rosebay willow herb came into flower, or when the blackberries began to ripen.  Not important facts maybe - but I clock them all in my mind.


18 comments:

Heather said...

My dream home would be a barn conversion or cottage retaining many original features, down a country lane BUT with doctor, dentist, and shops, etc., just round the corner where I couldn't see them from the house! I would love to live in the country but I need all those services to be on hand.

jinxxxygirl said...

I can now say i have lived in both the city and the country. And the country wins hands down. It will be a while before we can change our situation but i know now i need some space. I need to be able to breathe. Oh! And i need to know when the blackberries ripen! And see the stars at night........Hugs! deb

donna baker said...

I spend most of my time alone on the farm and yes, it is lonely, with only my animals to keep me company. I every knothole and square inch of our fifty acre wood. When I do get a chance to go somewhere, it is always to the city. Never again will I enjoy going to the countryside for entertainment. But, I could never live in a neighborhood with people living right beside my house. So, I guess I'm a country girl.

Cro Magnon said...

In the early 50's my father very nearly bought a 20,000 acre farm (yes, 20,000 acres) in Canada. He eventually decided against the idea because the nearest neighbours were several miles away.

I love all different types of life-style. If I'm in the country, it has to be PROPER countryside; but if I'm in town, I have to be right in the thick of it.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Canada is my favourite country Cro and I love these huge farms - of course you need a lot of workers to manage it all. Just think - you might have been working the land in Canada rather than living in your wonderful part of France!

Rachel Phillips said...

Having grown up on a farm I couldn't wait to go and live in a city so went to London when I was 17. I love big cities and would happily live in Paris or Berlin right now but it doesn't quite fit my life with P! He would be horrified. So I am in the country in a small, friendly little hamlet instead.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

We have always lived in old houses - well, old for the US, old farmhouses are my favorite. But 6 years ago we moved from an old house on 11 acres to a 9 year old house in town. We are lucky to be in a little area that is surrounded by trees and has lots of birds and other wildlife - and a huge deck. I truly love my new house - so much easier to keep clean - nothing is breaking down all the time and we are closer to town and medical care - which is important - but also the location and scenery is important too.

We are close enough to the blackberries to know when they get ripe - in fact there are some right across the street in the woods - perfect.

Amy said...

It sounds like you live in a lovely part of the world. I think if I had my way I'd live in a historical property, the older the better, I have ancestors who come from sussex originally but where I live now is in a small seaside town in NZ, much better than living in the city.

Terry and Linda said...

I'm pretty much an introvert and enjoy life that way. Terry is an extrovert...therefore he heads off now and again to visit with his friends.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

John Going Gently said...

Thank you for then big up.....
But pat, I am now convinced it's the people that make contentment ment at home... You have a large group of friends and an enquiring mind,,,.....that's what makes for good community.... Xx

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Hi Pat,
I grew up in a detached house in the suburbs in NJ about equidistant from NYC, Philadelphia, and Atlantic City: and 15 minutes from the ocean. Seventeen years ago we moved to Maryland between Baltimore and Washington, DC so i could go to graduate school. We moved into a condominium -like an apartment complex, except we own it. It was a big change.
But last evening I came home from church to find Ray and our across-the-hall neighbor talking. Next thing you know, there were seven neighbors and three dogs chatting up a storm in the golden evening light.

I used to think I wanted to go back to a detached house on some acreage. But I enjoy the village-like atmosphere here. And I'm not one to be out and about much. So living here is probably good for me lest I become a complete hermit.
And Josephine is very happy here.

This is probably way more information than you wanted to know. Ha!

angryparsnip said...

I have lived in several places and except missing a few things, I like where I live. Not in the noisy city but in very quiet neighborhood in the foothills with lots of wildlife.

cheers, parsnip

Frugal in Derbyshire said...

Country life for me! I was born on the edge of a city, moved into the suburbs and then to our smallholding 33 years ago. Each of these places suited at the time. What will the future bring ? Hoping to be here for some time yet, but like you, have to be mindful of the advancing years !
Gill

Hildred said...

I grew up in a small city and loved it, but once married Charles and I lived in the country until we retired from the farm, and even then we retired to three acres on the outskirts of town. I love farm and country living and now that I am in town with close neighbours on each side I yearn for the open spaces that surrounded me for so many years. However, I also love my small garden and over-the-fence friends, and their presence close by in this small town is comforting.

Linda Metcalf said...

I could never live in a large city..our town is small and we live at the very edge of it. If I could I'd be happy with the secluded lane high on a hill with no one around. I enjoy people but like the solitude also.

Gwil W said...

Love your new header pic.

Splenderosa said...

I've just discovered you via Pamela Terry & Edward. So so happy I did.
I live in Houston, a very large international city today. Every now and then I think I would love to be with chicks & ducks & sheep & horses...and if that ever happens it would have to be outside of Texas and away from this heat of summer. Love your blog, love the header photo. xx's

The Weaver of Grass said...

Well, if this is a representative selection, then it is small wonder that the phrase ' it takes all sorts to make a world' is so true. It seems we all have differing desires when it comes to where we live - and that is as it should be. Thanks for joining in.