Wednesday 1 August 2012

Well done Christopher Frome.

Yes, we really have done well today. At last we have two Gold Medals in the Olympic Games - from Helen Glover and Heather Stanning in the Rowing and from Bradley Wiggins in the Cycling Time Trials - and many congratulations to them all.

We also won a Bronze Medal in the Rowing Eights, so cheers for them - they did get a mention.

But I was appalled to find that the BBC hardly mentioned Christopher Frome, who won a brilliant Bronze Medal in the Cycling Time Trials. It was exactly the same when he came second in the Tour de France, after Bradley Wiggins. He appears to be a thoroughly modest man, and great friends with Bradley Wiggins, but I hope it is taking absolutely nothing from those Gold Medals for the BBC to also mention and say 'Well Done' to Christopher Frome. It is as though he never existed.

So I am saying it here. Well Done Chris Frome for that super Bronze Medal. We are proud of you.

Off to look at the Aquatics now - they are so exciting and each race is over and the next one started before there is any time for boredom to set in. I am really enjoying the Olympics - are you?

10 comments:

Heather said...

I echo your thoughts Pat but dare not watch any more events this evening. I am exhausted by all that rowing and cycling earlier today! I don't usually take much interest in sport but have got so excited and caught up with things during these Games. I'm sure my blood pressure levels must soar as I cheer our contestants on.

angryparsnip said...

How sad that the press only talks about Gold... these athletes are the best of the world in there sport and a Bronze is hardly mentioned ?
I left our main NBC coverage , hahahahahhahahahahahahah can you say awful coverage! Anyways I went on msnbc channel and saw the Three Day event and saw the British team take Silver. How exciting for Princess Ann to give out the medals that day.
I am enjoying the Olympics in-spite of the NBC coverage.

cheers, parsnip

Gwil W said...

I watched quite a bit of the Tour de France on Eurosport and was impressed by the teamwork of the Sky Team and by the words of Wiggins who said that he couldn't have done it without the rest of the team. So that's the right spirit.

I haven't yet watched any Olympics but I'll try and get near a TV for some of the athletics especially for the marathon races.

Dartford Warbler said...

Even the ones who come last are the most amazing athletes. Maybe it`s the primary teacher in me, but I wish they would take more interest in the competitors who don`t get "into the ribbons" but have still achieved their personal goals. They all deserve congratulations.

I loved the snatches of the equestrian events that I managed to watch.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I'm just amazed at the exploits of all the competitors. They are not the same species as the rest of us - it always comes home to me just what these athletes are doing when you see members of the public on bicycles just trying to keep up with marathon runners. So praise to every one of them.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I understand that they featured Chris Frome on BBC TV this morning in Breakfast television, so maybe they got the message.

steven said...

weaver good on you for recognizing his extraordinary achievements. i bet that he wins the tour de france in the next two years!!! steven

kristieinbc said...

Congrats on your medals! I remember the angst in Canada at the start of the 2010 Winter Olympics when we hadn't yet won a gold. One poor woman was expected to win gold and came up with a silver instead. The press questioned her like she had just suffered a major loss. It was horrible. I felt so sorry for her. It was a bit like your Christopher Frome.

Pondside said...

We're watching every minute that we can. Canada hasn't won a Gold yet, but we are proud of our silver and bronze winners!

Virginia said...

IThere is a lot of recording to watch during the following day by us at this end of the world, but I stayed up late enough to watch "our boys" collect a GOLD in the double sculls. With only 4 million people, and not a hugely wealthy country, we don't often win many medals. We joke that those we do, are all sitting on our bottoms - equestrian and rowing being two of our strongest sports. Yes, I do enjoy