Friday 24 August 2012

Surprise, surprise.


A lovely surprise through the post this morning when a parcel arrived from Fiona (Marmalade Rose on my side bar). I have long admired her workmanship - she is so accurate and neat with her sewing. When I opened the parcel it was a lovely peg bag with a hanger so that it can hang on the washing line (yes, we still peg our washing out on the line up here in the Dales).

I have attached a photograph to this post so that everyone can admire it. What I like about Fi's work is that she chooses colours which enhance one another, her sewing is absolutely accurate and she has such lovely ideas. So thank you so much Fiona - it is much appreciated.

I had another surprise earlier in the week when a card I entered into John's (Going Gently) village show won second prize. Two nice surprises in one week - lovely.

Tomorrow is the annual Wensleydale Show in the fields at the top of our lane. All the marquees are up and cattle are beginning to arrive. Produce etc. will arrive early in the morning and the farmer and I will be going, regardless of the weather. The forecast is for torrential rain for part of the day, which may well turn the show field into a quagmire. But we Dales folk are not put off by such things, so there will be a report tomorrow evening on my blog.

Before we go to the Wensleydale Show the farmer has to go to the West Witton village show where he judges the hay, fruit and vegetable classes every year - so it will be quite a busy day for him.

Reports tomorrow, providing I have an internet connection- I found it hard to get one today - so fingers crossed.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

How cute, and practical at the same time!
The air where I live in the city is so polluted that I can't hang them outside anymore to dry.
Haven't visited for a while...How are things with you?

Heather said...

What a lovely gift - pretty as well as practical. It will cheer up washday. It's pouring with rain here - I do hope the weather wont ruin your show tomorrow. Wellies at the ready!

Titus said...

Lovely peg bag, well done Fiona. I'm afraid I have a plastic basket, because we are inordinately poor at bringing the pegs in. With the basket at least the pegs drain. Actually, with the way this summer has gone, hanging washing on the line has been the most exercise I've had for months. Hang it out - sudden downpour. Bring in. Sun emerges. Hang it out. Sudden downpour. Etc.

Well done on the second prize, and all the best for tomorrow. My fingers are crossed for the weather.

John Going Gently said...

she could have won with that in the flower show!

Dartford Warbler said...

Such a pretty peg bag.

I hope the weather lets you enjoy the Wensleydale Show tomorrow.

Pondside said...

We still hang out our washing as well, as long as it's not too wet in the woods - then it would take days to dry! Your new clothes peg bag is very pretty.

Bovey Belle said...

What a pretty peg bag. I used to have one but when it gave up the ghost we used an old tin of mum's instead.

I think the weather forecast is the same the country over today! Our middle daughter is off camping, so I hope the weather in Bude isn't too torrential!

Anonymous said...

In the middle of a hot Australian summer, a very snobby aquaintence was complaining about emptying her clothes dryer. "Why would you use the dryer when the clothes dry so quickly out on the line" I asked.
"My dear" she explained being overly-patient with me, "a clothes line would simply ruin the look of my landscaped garden, and the collapsable ones are ghastly - too horrid to think about".
I love sunkissed washing fresh off the line, -we have the climate for it here fortunately.Also it always feels relaxing to me, to hang the washing out.

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a lovely gift! Hope the show goes well!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for visiting. Just off to the Wensleydale Show - report later.

Margarita vsswuez said...

Que bonito y Ăștil obsequio te han hecho....y es antojado para ver el lugar de lavado un poco organizado.