Tuesday 21 August 2012

The unexpected.

Isn't it lovely when someone calls unexpectedly?

This afternoon, just as we were finishing lunch, friend M came down the drive with a present for our wedding anniversary (a lovely bird bath since you are wondering). The farmer went off to do what farmers do and left us, table still set from lunch, to chat.

Three hours later we were still there, still chatting and putting the world to rights. The table still held the lunch plates and Tess had a quizzical look on her face which said, "Why haven't you taken me for my after-lunch walk?"

Oh I do love people calling unannounced. There is not a tradition of doing this up here in the Dales. Both M and I are incomers, and have probably done this all our adult lives - it is so lovely to chat and have a laugh when I was expecting to do one or two laborious jobs which will easily wait until morning.

9 comments:

Gwil W said...

"The farmer went off to do what farmers do"

I do like that. No wonder you two get on so fine.

angryparsnip said...

Oh what fun !
Except maybe for Tess ?

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

Thankyou for sharing your lovely surprise afternoon with us Pat. I think some of the pleasure has even found it's way through my laptop.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Sounds like a great way to spend the day - much more important to the soul than the chores.

Tom Stephenson said...

People arriving unexpectedly? I can't think of anything worse but, there again, I was brought up in the South. Happy Anniversary, Weave.

Reader Wil said...

How wonderful to have such an unexpected friend coming!
Thanks for your kind comment.

Cloudia said...

" Three hours later we were still there, still chatting and putting the world to rights. The table still held the lunch plates and Tess had a quizzical look on her face which said, "Why haven't you taken me for my after-lunch walk?"

An excellent little essay one can relate to happily!


Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
=^..^=
> < } } ( ° >

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am astonished Tom to hear that you do not like sudden visitations. They are magic - you should try it sometime.
Thanks to all for visiting.

Dartford Warbler said...

Sounds a lovely way to pass the afternoon! The chores can always wait .......