Monday 2 October 2023

Uphill

 Life has been uphill over the last week or two, hence the poor quality of my posts.   One of the most irritating things I find these days is that when I was younger I used to thrive - enjoy - lots of things going on in my life - the dashing about, the ticking off when I had fully completed a task, the satisfaction of 'a job well done'.   Now I hate it.

At the moment I have a series of things which are neither done nor undone if you know what I mean.

Medical problems which involve step by step pushing through a degree of beaurocracy (don't get me wrong - these things have to be like they are and have to go stage by stage).  Luckily for NHS appointments I do get provided with Ambulance collection.

Cataracts.   I am having these done privately as I just wish to get them over with.   But, of course, this means (as I live in the country and no longer drive) arranging transport to and from the private hospital in Darlington.   Friends are brilliant but I cannot expect them to 'drop everything' to ferry me about, and sometimes taxis have to be organised and this means correlating appointment times with school times as most of our taxis do the school run.

Rearrangement of my bedroom on the insistence of my doctor.   My dear main carer J has been trying to twist my arm for the last two years to have the spare 'twin' bed in my room removed and I have held out with various excuses which I now accept have been spurious.   Now the job has been done.  The spare bed and mattress - in excellent condition - have been advertised 'free to good home', snapped up by a very nice young nurse with three growing children (and a cockerpoo dog) 'poo' being the operative word as he left a 'thank you' heap in the middle of my lawn (yes she did bring a poo bag and cleared it up with apologies!)   I am getting used to the new layout but have ordered a 'nitelite' as I have to get out of bed two or three times during the night ('old' bladders being what they are - and yes you forty something year olds who might be reading this - it will catch up with you some day along with creaking joints and hearing aids).

The said 'nitelite' has just arrived with Amazon Prime - the nice chap who brought it rang, waited all of five seconds and then ran round the back and left the parcel on the patio-door step - retrieved it when he saw me and got it back for me.

Now the Occupational Therapist is coming for a 90 minute assessment to 'see how I am coping and to view the new bedroom arrangement taking the future into account (a bit ominous).

Oh and I am expecting the District Nurse any minute to take blood as the Consultant wont see me without an 'up to date' blood test. (and my arms are notorious within our Medical Centre as being extremely reluctant to agreeing to release any blood.

  1. Is that all?   Not sure but it is enough to be going on with.  It is Quiz Night on BBC1 tonight but don't expect me to answer more than one on University Challenge and as for the wall on Only Connect - forget it.

See you tomorrow.


26 comments:

RunNRose said...

I hear you, Pat. It all seems so backwards. The older we get, and less able to cope, the more stuff gets piled on us to cope with.
Here, handling the myriad Medicare options and jargon is a real challenge. Many choices and all with downsides. I have a wonderful doctor for two years now. Got a letter from his group this week. It seems that Medicare plans to cut off his group next June unless they forego any pay raises. So, I'm being warned that if I want to stay with my doctor, I need to change my coverage provider! What is covered, and how much it costs, varies. If I wait until midyear, my trouble will be compounded by the rules governing changes.
Seems like having less furniture in your bedroom is a good idea, even though you'd prefer to keep your familiar layout. Do hope your cataract plans work out, and you are pleasantly surprised by the results.
About your posts. Your blog is exemplary when it comes to subjects and presentation! In spite of all the extra load you manage!

Granny Sue said...

What a lot to think about and manage. I was shocked when I had to fill out a Medicare questionnaire that asked what I thought were pretty nosy questions, like, do I have rugs in my home. I wanted to answer, none of your business. I do understand the concern about tripping hazards, but at 72 I am not ready to take up my rugs! Still, that questionnaire and your blog give me a foreshadowing of what is coming. As they say, aging isn't for sissies. It sometimes seems like a rough uphill slog. But I will take it over the alternative.

the veg artist said...

We often do quite well on the Only Connect wall - but only because I always tape the programme, and when we get to the wall, press the pause button! How do they do it so quickly?

Barbara Anne said...

I agree with RunNRose that the older we get, the more annoying paperwork there is to deal with. No fair!

Here's wishing that your cataracts and all of the bothers are soon taken care of, that your new room arrangement proves wonderful for you, and that your new night light is just what you need.

Your blog posts are always interesting, enlightening, and/or heartwarming, so please write on!

Hugs!

Yellow Shoes said...

Not only are your posts interesting, they are honest.
By letting us into your frustrations you make some of us feel that maybe we aren't alone with our symptoms.
I met up for lunch with some old friends recently and I think I was expecting us to exchange sweet stories about our grandchildren. instead we talked diet, exercise, blood pressure, arthritis and the proper way to fall!

Rachel Phillips said...

Pat, sounds a bit odd to me that the routine and familiarity of the bedroom layout should suddenly be changed. Sometimes these medical officials like to laydown the law and I wonder what they are really thinking except throwing their weight about. Good luck with everything else you are doing, I can't remember it without referring back to the post and I haven't done so!

Sue in Suffolk said...

Sounds like a good idea to have more room for moving without a bed in the way.
Good luck with quizzy monday

Rachel Phillips said...

I imagine a sparce bedroom with space. With the bed there better to fall on to the bed than on to the floor was my thinking. Perhaps it is just easier to move without the bed there. Who knows. Weaver opposed it for two years so she much have had her reasons.

Jules said...

Not once have I ever thought of your posts being poor quality. Quite the opposite, in fact. X

Heather said...

Your posts are always welcome and well thought out Pat. I suppose the person who insisted that your other twin bed was removed was thinking that the extra space would make life easier for nurses, carers and probably yourself to move around.
Everything seems to be more complicated as we get older, especially if new procedures have been brought in.
I had my cataracts removed about 12 years ago and was amazed by the difference it made. I was dreading the procedure but needn't have worried. There was no pain and not much discomfort either.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - quite right - I always though falling on to th bed wass better than the floor. Now both carer and doctor agree that space to get either side of the single bed is bettert for carer, doctor, nurse - everyone in fact. Now that it has been done I have to admit it is much easier and I am adapting. I needed to be examined by the doctor and she had to squeeze between th two beds to do the examination. It as very difficult.

Yellow Shoes - the exact reason why I enjoy chatting to men rather than women.

Veg artist - wish I knew!


Thanks for the encouragement. At least two of my 'problems have been ironed out already!!!
Grann Sue - I broke my hip falling over the edge of the lovely Indian rug in mmy sitting room.

Gigi said...

You are so right about the young ones not realizing what is in store for them in the future. I always thought, oh no, that won’t happen to me, but hey ho, it did. Cataracts, knee replacements, up three times in the night and reflux are just some of it. Also huffing and puffing climbing the stairs. The price you pay for a long life.

Debby said...

I thought your posts have been wonderful lately...nostalgic and sweet.

I think you are above all, a practical soul. I think that you will see the benefit of having the extra space should you require ems. I have rearranged our bedroom for Tim after surgery.

Joanne Noragon said...

I can attest to too many doctor appointments.

Terra said...

I always enjoy your posts. You post even when busy, bless you. The changes in your home may be good, removing a bed, etc. I have also achieved being old and am slowing down.

Cro Magnon said...

Anyone is lucky to see a doctor these days. The student doctors don't think £33,000 is enough, and the consultants don't think £140,000 is enough. I go for my Flu jab today; I hope nurses are working.

Anonymous said...

I have done two lots of bedroom rearranging at my house today - my grandaughters and my own, which included shifting and sorting bookcases and her bed to a different part of the room.
Husband dutifully carried stuff off to the charity shops, and moved the heavier stuff.
Grandaughter, nearly 3 seemed pleased to contribute to the mess, now sorted. Little one's Dad came to collect her after her couple of days here and I am beyond exhausted, especially dealing with toilet and food issues too - hers not ours!- Pam.

thelma said...

It was probably a good idea to have your bedroom arrangements changed. A bit worrying for you but easier for carers. Think before you get up Pat ;) and mentally adjust the room to its new layout.

Frances said...

I think that your recent posts have been excellent...don't put yourself down! Enjoy your new bedroom space. I had both my cataracts done together a few years ago. You have done well to go so long without them needing to be done.

Anonymous said...

My mother is almost 80 and does not cope with day to day challenges any longer. It is just all too much for her, and I can understand why.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy all your posts. Mundane days are the norm in most lives . I admire and find encouragement in your strength and independence and how you find joy In simple things.

Anonymous said...

I have hesitated to ask but do any of you read “Frugal in Norfolk” ? They haven’t posted in weeks. Like the Weaver when she’s away I miss them and hope all is well. Thanks.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. I have read and thought about you all and am grateful for your continuing encouragement - just can't answer you all individually - too many.

Derek Faulkner said...

That's the spirit Pat, just keep on keeping on.

Ellen D. said...

I think your posts have been great, Pat. I always enjoy them.
I've been so down lately as age is causing multiple problems. It's hard to keep positive but you always are a good example of carrying on and making the best of things.

Tom Stephenson said...

I like the idea of a 'thank you heap'.