Sunday 1 October 2023

message on a wire

 Before the farmer and I married in 1993 I would often walk across the fields from my cottage towards the farm, hoping to meet him as he walked up to the pasture to gather the cows in for the evening milk.  Sometimes I would walk back with him and stand and chat as he milked his girls and then walk back to the field with him.

When he collected them he would move the electric fence giving them new grass after the evening milking.  If I missed him I would gather up a few flowers from the grass or the hedge-bottom, tie them into a bunch with a strand of grass and hang them on the electric wire, knowing he would find them.

Here is a poem I wrote about it:

  Message on a wire.

There is a stillness in your field:

Not a silence

(for the mistle-thrush sings

on the topmost bough

of the hawthorne tree,

and the beck finds its voice

as it slips over the stones

in the South meadow.)

But a stillness

from long ago

when the grass was first sown

and peppered with wild flowers

in their season. 


One day in July

the stillness would be broken,

the grass would be mown,

tossed, dried in the sun, smelt

and carted away to the stack.

Then the stillness would return.


Men who care for fields

feel that stillness,

(It soaks into their bones)

become that stillness,

protected, cocooned

within the confines of the walls.


I walked across your field today.

I could leave you a message

on your answer-phone.

Or I could leave

two buttercups, a herb-robert

and a cuckoo flower, tied

with a strand of grass,

hanging on the fence.

Either way

and you will know

I love you.

 




36 comments:

Red said...

That's a neat story of the beginning of a great relationship.

Barbara Anne said...

Oh, Pat, how sweetly heartwarming!

Hugs!

maureenlthompson said...

Absolutely lovel;y. XXXXX

Jules said...

Beautiful. Xx

Heather said...

A beautiful poem for a beautiful relationship. Thank you for sharing it with us.

the veg artist said...

So lovely.

Linda from Alabama said...

So very beautiful! Thank you for sharing.
Linda from Alabama

Tracy said...

Awwww. That is really lovely.

June said...

I’m gonna cry…

Heather said...

How romantic and a beautiful poem.

Ellen D. said...

What a sweet story, Pat! Lovely poem!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tha "answer phone" line grates with me every time I read it but it is so long since I wrote it - and read it to him - that I feel it is too late to chaange it now.

Marcia LaRue said...

What a beautiful way to profess your love for your farmer!

gz said...

Just lovely. Your Farmer was like my Mountain Man.
We have good memories don't we.

Anonymous said...

Lovely. I was wondering if you left the poem for him to read, or read it to him then, or if you kept the poem to yourself for a while. Thanks for answering that. So sweet and tender. - Pam.

Granny Sue said...

What a lucky man he was. I am sure he knew that. Thank you for sharing this, Pat.

busybusybeejay said...

LovelyxxxBarbarax

justjudithanne said...

I remember my husband driving us back home after a wonderful day out, with our two tired little boys in the back seat, and closing my eyes and thinking, “I am so happy - I must never forget this.” I think of that moment, and others like it, and treasure them, for time has flown, my boys are grown with children of their own and my dear husband has passed away.
I think your beautiful poem is like my memory - your own stillness of time and place, to step back into whenever you choose. I don’t think you need to change the words. They are perfect, encapsulating exactly how it was then, and because of your poem, always will be.

Joanne Noragon said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

So touching and heartfelt. Thank you for sharing. Jackie

Susan said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful poem. It is part of the love story you had with your farmer. You shared a lovely life together.

Debby said...

I love this. I picture a quiet man listening to a poem of love about himself. How very nice.

Pixie said...

Lovely.

Virginia said...

What a wonderfully rich life you have lived Pat, and lived fully and 'intentionally'. Memories to treasure now your dear farmer is gone. A lovely poem, and you've left me with such a vivid image of wild flowers on a wire fence. Thank you. You certainly are an inspiration

Cro Magnon said...

You old romantic. What a lovely gesture. Lucky man.

Librarian said...

Vwey romantic, lovely and truly beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Rachel Phillips said...

A private moment.

thelma said...

A moment of happiness remembered.

Sencosue said...

How lovely. Your poem made me cry, how wonderful to find a second love, what an adventure, proving love can come calling at any time. You have been blessed with two good men. Regards Sue H

Judy from Maine said...

Don’t think you are not a poet, you are. Like the last poem you shared, that was beautiful. Opening your blog each morning, feels like a little present to start the day. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Dear Pat, would you please share your story of how you and your farmer met? Reading between the lines, I think you were already retired from teaching, so what took you to that part of the country?

RITA LOEHR said...

Just lovely! What a nice way to start my day. I look forward to your posts each morning. You always remind me to be grateful for each moment.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you all.

hart said...

Quite a lovely poem. A real sense of place.

Bovey Belle said...

What a beautiful poem - so full of love and as hart said, a sense of place.

durhamjane said...

Just beautiful