Monday 29 November 2021

Poor Mr Winkle.

I think I told you of my statue - a gift from my gardeners for my patio.   They bought it for me and brought it one Monday when I had Book Group here, so although I waved to them I had no contact with them other than that.   When I went into the back garden later in the day there he was.   It is actually a statue of Hercules with the Lion but they christened him Mr Winkle - yes you can guess - there is no hiding his masculinity as he leans nonchallantly against a lion.   The next time I saw them they told me they hoped he made me jump when I opened the bedroom curtains the next morning.

 I laughed and told them I had caught them out - when I came out of hospital I moved into the computer room at the other end of the bungalow.   Well they came again this week - my gardener has been poorly and they haven't been for ten weeks apart from to mow the lawn.    This week they did a massive winter tidy-up and yes- you have guessed it.   When I drew back the cutains in the computer room next morning - there he was - looking into my window.

We have had an awful blizzard with snow and winds of getting on for ninety miles an hour .   When I looked at Mr Winkle the gale had blown him (he is far too heavy for me to move) right to the edge of the wall.   An inch further and he would topple off.   He is far too heavy for me to move and in any case I can't climb the steps, so there he sits precariously.   Luckily the wind has died down.   I have friends calling for lunch on Thursday weather permitting so hopefully he will balance there until then.

Snow here is disappearing by the minute. 

19 comments:

gz said...

Most of the snow has gone here too.
Hope Mr Winkle can be moved to safety!

JayCee said...

I hope that Mr Winkle doesn't fall off the wall and lose any important little bits and pieces.

Librarian said...

It is sleeting here as we speak. Maybe overnight it will turn into proper snow.
Is Mr Winkle now covered in white? Hopefully, he won't topple and break before he can be moved to safety.

Rachel Phillips said...

If I were you I would ring the gardener and get his partner to pop round and move him to a safe spot again.

the veg artist said...

Can't believe I'm typing this, but an inch can make all the difference - to his safety, of course!

Derek Faulkner said...

I imagine the cold weather must of reduced his masculinity.

Derek Faulkner said...

Pat, did you watch the Yorkshire Shepherdess Amanda Owen tonight walking from Bainbridge to Semerwater across the most amazing landscape in the Dales. I thought the views were stunning.There are another three to come of the Dales each night on BBC4 with different personalities.

John Going Gently said...

I’m glad the snow is going , I’m drivingb5o 6orkshire on Thursday x

Chris said...

Must have been some wind to move a statue!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek - thank you so much for pointing out those programmes to me - I hadn't seen about them. I live quite close to Semerwater - maybe ten miles way.
Rahchel - yjr gardener's [artner is a woman and the statue would be hard for her to move I fear.

Susan said...

Hopefully, Mr. Winkle will be moved to safety before any damages is done.

Debby said...

I love your gardeners. They sound like a high spirited group. A laugh a day keeps the doctor away!

Ratana said...

I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited,Thank you for sharing good topic.
បាល់ផ្សាយបន្តផ្ទាល់_Live Score

Cro Magnon said...

No snow here (thank goodness), and warmer this morning.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Mr Winkle has been moved to a safer place by friend T. He does not believe that the wind has blown him along the top of the wall but no one else has been round there and let's face it the wind blows down huge trees.

Thank you for the chat.

Jennyff said...

Is there anything I could knit Mr W to keep him warm over winter.

Minigranny said...

Thanks for the very moving story of Mr. Winkle - it gave me a good laugh !

Melinda from Ontario said...

I'm glad Mr. Winkle is safe and sound. It's funny how we can develop feelings for the ornaments in our garden. I find myself putting my stone bunnies in a cozy corner of the garage every winter even though I know they'd be just fine under the snow. I blame The Velveteen Rabbit story for my eccentricity.

hart said...

That's a great story of Mr. Winkle. Lucky you to have such a group of friends.