Friday 26 November 2021

Out here in the quiet depths of the country.

Do not let anyone kid you! this last few days here have been chaotic.   If nobody comes all day I feel 'alone':  if there is a constant stream of visitors throughout the day I get frustrated by the trek back and forth to the front door.   The last week that is just what it has been like.  Walking with a frame is slow work.

Don't misunderstand me - friends are always welcome - in fact I love all of them being here and rejoice in the fact that I am so lucky to have such good ones.  (where would I be without you T - solver of all my problems - do call and see my lovely shiny stop tap which has replaced that bodged up job that was there before) .

But this is the pattern for the afternoon.   a) the doorbell went (Westminster Chimes and very loud - you can't miss them).  Two chaps stood on the door step, one of them smiling as though he knew me well.   Oh yes, he did but he has grown a beard (who hasn't - even half of the MPs seem to grow one every time there is any kind of a break which gives their whiskers time to shoot up).   By the time I had shown them the offending stop tap in the kitchen (for the outside tap and best turned off in winter, especially when wintry temperatures are forecast)., my tea had grown cold.

They were here for an hour putting in a stop tap.   As they went down their drive another vehicle drew up so I didn't both to close the door.  "Come in and I'll get my cheque book out of the Computer Room "and pay you". I maywell become the last person not to bank on line.   A lady who lives just down the road kindly shops mid week for anyone who wants groceries (bananas, oranges, grapes, bread, ((crumpets)) -for a small charge.   It is a super service for anyone like me who has difficulty getting out.

As I said good-bye to her the Post Van drew up and - what fun - socks and mittens from Ilkley/Italy arrive - Blogland is filled with such lovely characters. Jenny Peacock has knitted me some gloves and some socks - I can't wait to open the parcel.   So that is the order of the day - draw the blinds, lock all doors, turn the fire up. toast the crumpets and open the parcel.   Thank you so much T for seeing to the tap, advising a new stop tap and chatting to the plumber for me and thank you Jenny in advance for the socks - I will thank you again and post off the wool when I go near a Post Office next week.   Tell you this though - the parcel will not be as professionally packed as yours is.   Only a couple of days back after that long journey and you can manage a parcel like that - brilliant.

20 comments:

Yellow Shoes said...

I'm hesitant about online banking too but a recent missed credit card bill ( the cheque didn't arrive on time ) has made me determined to learn.

Derek Faulkner said...

I was reminded of your frustration at not being able to get about as you'd like, due to old age, on reading the following in my newspaper about eating and drinking healthily.
"living healthily is a waste of time. It may add years to your life but they'll only be extra years of being old. You won't get extra years of being young."

Tasker Dunham said...

I do online but will never do phone banking. For a start, I don't have a smartphone.

Jennyff said...

At least you like the parcel, I'll wait to hear about the contents.

Rachel Phillips said...

Well I suppose the doorbell being loud is so that you can hear it as you often talk of being hard of hearing.

the veg artist said...

It's a pity that it is no longer safe to leave doors open like it was years ago. Still, it's a form of exercise I suppose!

The Feminine Energy said...

Lots of comings and goings at your place today, Weaver. I don't know about you but it's either feast or famine with company here. They all come on the same day or none for days on end. ~Andrea xoxo

Melinda from Ontario said...

Whenever I read your blog I think of my mother. As I've mentioned before, she read your blog daily with her morning tea. My mother also used a walker and found everyday tasks trying to say the least. She would love to be reading your blogs right now because it would have made her feel less alone with her mobility challenges. I think your daily accomplishments are astounding. Thank you for reminding me to turn off the outside water taps. I'm prone to forgetting.

Debby said...

Perhaps you need a revolving door at your house

The bike shed said...

My mum has a walker too and basically leaves the front door open to visitors. It's not safe really, but she's decided that's the best way and won't hear different. Having said that, in my own village (hamlet really) I almost never lock my front door - and, in truth, it's a delight to live somewhere where that is still considered normal.

Terra said...

I am a bit old school too about online banking, I don't do it. Too much computer hacking going on, so I pay in cash, write checks, etc. I enjoy quiet days and busy days, interspersed, as you do.

JayCee said...

I do love a parcel delivery, so exciting even if I know what's inside.

Heather said...

I don't use online banking either. I don't trust it and prefer to speak to a member of staff in person if I have a problem.
I count it as extra exercise if I have to get up to answer the door!
How lovely to have handknitted socks. I can still remember the feel of them in my new school shoes for the autumn term. I can't wear socks now as my ankles are very swollen.

Susan said...

You've had a productive day. The banking world offers up lots of options. They seem to support everybody's needs and this is good customer service. Your hand knitted gifts sound lovely as well as timely for the cold weather.

Ratana said...

Thank for providing good information for site,Thanks for your sharing.
តើរ៉ូឡែត Onlineជាអ្វី

Jules said...

It's funny how days can be like that. It's often all or nothing. X

Librarian said...

Things seem to happen in clusters, don‘t they!
I love Debbie‘s suggestion!

Yellow Shoes said...

Live in the city, don't lock my door.
If you fear danger you never get time to enjoy the lack of it.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Anne - round here that would be frowned upon!

Thanks everyone for responding. And yes, Rachel - I am profoundly deaf. I am in the process of getting new hearing aids (private sadly as there is such a long queue for NHS ones and I can't wait any longer it is too frustrating.)

Ratana said...

Hi, I really enjoyed reading your post, and hope to read more. thank you so much for sharing this informative blog.
online gambling