Saturday 17 August 2019

Saturday

A really good drying day today - a brisk wind and a good sunshine so it will have done a lot to dry up some of the surplus water lying about.   Friend W and I went to see Alan's garden this morning.   It has given me a lot of inspiration for what to do with parts of my garden I haven't touched yet.

This afternoon friend J, who lives lower down the estate, walked up for a cup of tea and a chat and as she went the phone rang and it was my son to see if I 'fancied sharing a take-away' tonight and of course I said yes.  So there is just about time to take Tess for another walk round before I need to set the table.   Don't know yet whether it will be Pizza, Chinese or Indian - but am happy with any.

Next Saturday it is our Wensleydale Agricultural Show which takes place on the two fields above my bungalow.   I feel frustrated that I can't attend but I don't walk well enough and haven't done for years.   It was one of the highlights of my dear farmer's year and for the last few years of his life I didn't go with him (it was within walking distance of the farm) because I just slowed him down.   It is the place where the farmers meet (often for the only time in the year) and chat and discuss the livestock on show and generally 'chew the cud'.   How he loved it (and all the hospitality he got going from tent to tent of various suppliers!)

The gentleman where I went to view the garden this morning has a son who is a garden designer so I am now about to write him a letter asking if he has time to call on me and advise me on the last bit of my garden to be tackled.   I don't hold out much hope as he is very busy but I can but try.   I will keep you posted.

12 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

Great to see you still moving onwards and being inspired on the way.
Having seen mention of the ukelele playing just lately, are you still doing it.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I should do the same for my folks but mum is such a fussy eater these days

JayCee said...

I hope the weather stays fair for the show. Our Royal Manx show was badly affected by the recent weather conditions and the first day was cancelled as the marquees blew down in the storm. Enjoy your takeaway. What a thoughtful son you have.

Bovey Belle said...

Glad to hear you had inspiration from the garden you visited. Perhaps as the sumemr gardening projects are slowing down for the year, you may just be able to get the garden designer to have a look at the plot you need sorting?

I wonder, can you hire an invalid scooter at the showground, so you can see around the show? I know they have similar things for hire at horse trials, as a friend hired one when she had an injured leg.

Heather said...

It is always pleasing to have new plans for one's garden and a good time of year to be making them. Hope the designer isn't too busy to advise you.
It must be a relief to have drier conditions after all that rain, and I hope it holds off for the agricultural show.
Hope you enjoyed your take away. My son phones me offering the same sometimes. Aren't we lucky to have them?

Joanne Noragon said...

How good your weekend has looked up! I do hope the garden designer can come around.

Cro Magnon said...

I've always loved Agricultural Shows. They have 'purpose', and are so much more interesting than other types of show.

Librarian said...

I'd love to visit the Wensleydale show; I loved the agricultural bits at the Yorkshire Show in Harrogate a few years back, but one really needs to be able to walk well there, as there are considerable distances to cover along the way, and as "your" show is on fields, the ground will be too uneven to use any walking help such as a scooter or anything with wheels.
Hopefully, the weather will keep and lots of visitors will come!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for your helpful comments. Regarding wheels on the Show field Librarian sums it up - the fields are used for silage and third cut was done this week. The surface is uneven ,especially after our flooding when the water off them ran through our gardens, down the road and flooded houses further down the hill. Also a lot of the marquees house vegetables, produce, flowers, baking and handicrafts. They are always packed with folk looking round and it would be impossible to go round with a wheeled vehicle. Plenty of happy memories of previous shows though.

crafty cat corner said...

Not being able to walk far is such a nuisance isn't it? Both of us are unable to walk far now, Tom has breathing difficulties and I have arthritis. We have the car to get out but it is so frustrating not to be able to get out and take a long walk. Never mind, lets be thankful for what we have it could be so much worse.
Briony
x

Yellow Shoes said...

When you said it was a good drying day I immediately thought of getting the washing out; so satisfying! I’ve loaded a great weather app on my phone which tells me it won’t rain in Sheffield for the rest of today; washing machine is on!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone.