Saturday 3 August 2019

Ominous black clouds.

I have spent much of today clearing up the garden.  My health is such that I can only do about an hour's physical work before I have to sit down for an hour and rest.   So it has more or less taken me all day.   First hour was spraying weed killer on the weeds which have taken hold in various cracks in the paving stones.   Then I took Tess for her usual morning walk round.   Then I began the task of sweeping the patios which were covered with the detritus of a day's flooding - mainly bits of bark, empty snail shells (dozens of them I presume off the fields), and sandy soil which has been brought down by the sheer volume of the water.

Now, as I sit here writing this at almost eight o'clock in the evening and after taking Tess for another walk the sky is full of heavy black clouds, it is extremely heavy and warm and more thunder storms are forecast.    Oh dear, will it all have been in vain my clearing up?

And more to the point will the dam hold at Whaley Bridge - the plight of the people there makes our village problems seem light by comparison. 

Lots of plants in my garden were battered and are looking very sorry for themselves.   I have cut them back where I can and am hoping they will recover - at least they are not short of water.   But the antirrhinums have remained straight, strong and tall - in full flower - and have taken everything nature has thrown at them.   And they are such cheerful flowers.   See you tomorrow.

14 comments:

angryparsnip said...

Everyone seems to be having a very strange summer.
parsnip

busybusybeejay said...

I can't believe the rate that things are growing.We filled two more builders cubes today ready for the tip.If you can work for an hour without a break you are doing very well.I can only manage twenty minutes!

Sue said...

It's been a very unsettled summer.

Rachel Phillips said...

It is an English summer. I don't do anything in the garden. It just makes me hot. I don't understand why you don't wait for the gardener to do it.

Heather said...

I do hope that more rain will not undo all that the various service members and volunteers have done to try to avert disaster at Whaley Bridge.
Glad you can do some work in your garden (that's part of the pleasure in having a garden) and I hope all your efforts will not be undermined by the weather.
You obviously keep yourself fit with all those dog walks, gardening, etc. I'm not surprised you need to sit down for a while in this humidity and heat.

Joanne Noragon said...

I love snapdragons, too. May I be as tough as they. And you, too.

Cro Magnon said...

Looking at the whole area around the dam at Whaley Bridge, it seems to have been a thoroughly irresponsible decision to place such a huge volume of water right above a village. It's a bit late, but who were the 'planners' who gave it the go-ahead? Crazy.

thelma said...

Cro apparently it was a feeder for the canal nearby, built in 1838. It has other troubles since then and has been repaired. The Victorians were good at creating large projects, unfortunately they did not look into the future.

Derek Faulkner said...

Like most keen gardeners who have spent a lot of time and money creating a new garden, you have found it difficult to just sit back and do nothing about the damage that it has sustained. What you have done may be little until the gardener arrives, but it will have made you feel better and that's the most important thing - well done Pat.

the veg artist said...

Snipping off soggy foliage and a bit of dead-heading can be very therapeutic, and it makes everything look a lot better when the sun does come out! Good for you. It's all gentle movement, so your physio will approve.

Librarian said...

You do well working the way your health allows, an hour of work and an hour of rest, that sounds like a balanced way and I am sure doing that hour's work is better for you than not doing anything at all. I hope there won't be any more flooding.

Tom Stephenson said...

You certainly are getting it all in one go.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I hope you didn't get dumped on again , but maybe a gentler rain this time? I would have been out there cleaning up the garden, too. -Jenn

Gwil W said...

There's a mega dam in China that is full of cracks according to a TV docu I saw. Here we're on tenterhooks regarding old nuclear power stations which litter the landscape in Eastern Europe and even some relatively new ones that are a bit dubious. I noticed that the chief of the IAEA, a Japanese, died at the age of about 72 after an illness. But no more details since.