Friday 19 January 2018

Done it.

Well with a bit (a lot really) of back up from friend W, I have been and gone and bought a new television.   As I said, I have bought it from our local electrical shop.   I took Jonathan's advice and had the model which was on display.   He ordered it there and then and it will be here on Tuesday when he will come round and fix it up for me in the evening.   It is an all singing, all dancing model and I shall take a while to find my way round it but I take comfort from my Horoscope today which says (and I quote) 'An opportunity arises to exceed everyone's expectations and reshape how others see you.'

I shall put my existing small one in the kitchen (there is already a socket for it) so that I can sit at the table and eat my breakfast and watch Breakfast television.   So watch this space.

Today it is still cold and breezy but is slightly above freezing so that the snow is slowly but surely melting away.   The forecast says that it will warm up and that by Monday there will be heavy rain so that should get rid of any residue.   Yes, the snow is pretty but when, like me, you are not good on your feet, it does make for incarceration in the house and the constant feeling of cabin fever.   So I was pleased to go into town this morning for our usual cup of coffee.

I am in an enthusiastic mood for making soup so made tomato and onion for lunch today.   I have just frozen the residue and am now intent on making parsnip and apple and then leek and potato.   When I have frozen these it will mean that I have several to offer any guests and the freezer will be beginning to fill up again.   Last evening the Hairy Bikers made a super casserole with veal and green olives (you can substitute braising steak) and also a courgette gratin.   Both looked interesting, so my next task is to download those recipes, make them and freeze them.   Then I am ready for all comers.

My other major job today has been to book my car in for its first service.   I have done that too so I feel pleased with myself.   Now I need good weather on the day I have to drive to Northallerton to take it in - not just down the road, twenty odd miles away.

All these jobs seem like major efforts - jobs which were so effortless at one time.   But the compensation for this is that when one has done so there is a feeling of satisfaction.   One of the joys of getting old I suppose.



 

26 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

Well done on the TV buy, you are so with it!

JanF said...

You are doing so very well!
JanF

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Irrespective of age, I hate snow and ice. Makes my commute a nightmare

Sue said...

Great news on the television. You aren't the only one that takes a while to get used to things, I am constantly having the remote control thrust into my hands by Alan with the instruction 'get this bloody thing to work will you'. Well we've only had the same television and Freesat box for four years so how can I possibly expect him to be able to record any of his shows ... or change the channel unaided ... and if I ask him to switch from Freesat box to Dvd player he turns a rather funny shade of baffled!!

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

Hubby bought a Chromecast as we bought our current TV just before smart TVs came out. But it's me that has to remind him how to do it! Brilliant for watching YouTube or anything from the internet.

Bonnie said...

Congratulations on your purchase! A wise decision to go to the local shop and how nice that he will set it up and help you get started with it! I'm sure you will enjoy it plus it will be nice to get your breakfast programme in the kitchen.

Maureen Reynolds said...

Well done on all your accomplishments. You are a reminder to me that we can still accomplish many many things and remain productive in these later years.

Rachel Phillips said...

Local shops are helpful and good with everything from advice to installation and backup to simple things like delivery times. They want sales to survive so I always take the line there is nothing at all to be embarrassed about in being as stupid as I like. They want my money and so it is in their interest to help me.

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, I can now spend the better part of a day on jobs I used to squeeze in here and there. One way or another, I suppose. Enjoy all that good weather.

Gwil W said...

In winter I wouldn't be without my tv. I just watched two quiz shows and an antiques programme.

Cheryl said...

Hello I have found your blog recently and been popping in regularly. Just read your last post and you mentioned parsnip and apple soup sounds lovely could you post recipe please. Regards Cheryl

Mac n' Janet said...

Good for you, you'll enjoy the new tv. I know what you mean about a feeling of satisfaction.

angryparsnip said...

Enjoy your new TV. It will be nice for you on awful winter days.
I bought a new one also over Christmas. It will be fabulous as I am finley dropping my awful comcast cable company ! I will be streaming everything and only getting the channels I like and use. I need a son to set it up.

cheers, parsnip and mandibles

thelma said...

Getting something done gives you that smirky feeling of satisfaction, it is like removing a small worry off the mind, car working, new tv and you are away!

Heather said...

I know that feeling so well. My husband dealt with everything and the past year has been a steep learning curve for me, in spite of the wonderful help I get from my children. I am just beginning to get the hang of it all and venturing to deal with some things myself, knowing that they are there to call upon should it be necessary.
I am about to treat myself to a new fridge-freezer. I too, like to have various home cooked soup and meals to hand but am currently running it right down.
Hope the new TV is user friendly - I am sure you will find your way around all it has to offer very quickly. I'm happier if new things come with an instruction leaflet.
I think you are entitled to feel pleased with yourself.

crafty cat corner said...

I'm sure you will love the tv once you get to grips with the controls. Just don't do what we often do now.
Point the wrong end at the screen and wonder why it's not working. lol
Briony
x

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Enjoy.

Tom Stephenson said...

New TV? The last new TV I bought was about 40 years ago. I'm impressed Weave.

Gerry Snape said...

...jobs to do...places to be...this all sounds great...especially the parsnip and apple soup...we have a good lot in the back field...you've put me in the mood Pat...thankyou.

Dartford Warbler said...

Enjoy your new TV . A good idea to have bought it from a local shop where help and support is at hand should you need it.
I hope it doesn`t take long to get the hang of all its new "bells and whistles"!

Mary said...

Hope your new TV works well for you - getting it locally with set up planned is the way to go. Imagine thatching being drop-shipped to your door - you would need assistance to even get it out of the box. We are useless when it comes to technology!

Pat, is your amaryllis out yet? Would love to see it again. Mine - the one that has a stem - is 32 inches tall now and today I see the bud splitting a wee bit so perhaps a bloom will be popping out soon. Exciting!

Mary x

Rachel Phillips said...

It is only a television.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Mary - my amaryllis is in full bloom. There should be a photograph on my post if I manage to locate it.
Thanks everyone.

Hildred said...

I am curious about a television that is all dancing and singing???? Like your wonderful variety of soups, - I like to keep an array in the freezer too, - made a nice pea soup the other day, and today a hearty chicken to share with my daughter who has a bad cold. Is it only a myth that chicken soup is good for a cold? Winter is not kind to us older folk, is it?
I was out uncovering the Lenten Roses which were blooming under the snow, - first time out in the garden since well before Christmas...

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hildred - a garden just down the road from me has about six different hellebores in full flower. There are four different shades from the usual white (my favourite) through to the deepest red. I shall definitely get some for next year.

Librarian said...

Good decision about your new TV, and the connection with your horoscope made me smile.
I hope the weather is good for your drive to Nothallerton! Sun and blue sky here after a very wet and cold Saturday, just in time for the winter BBQ in the woods we are invited to today.