Saturday 3 December 2016

Coffee Morning.

What an enjoyable morning I have had.    Yes, it was sad to miss all the goings-on in our little town, with Santa and singing round the tree and all the other christmas activities that were advertised.   But really the parking meant that it was quite a long way to walk and it was a cold morning.

In any case, it was also the monthly Church coffee morning in the village and I always go to that - especially so this month when K brought her famous mince pies and brandy butter.   At sixty pence each they were an absolute bargain - hot, spicy and delicious.

There were lots of people there (and an adorable miniature dachshund puppy called Chloe who stole my heart).  In addition there were some interesting stalls - one lady was selling stuffed toys - mainly polar bears- excellent value for stocking fillers.
She also had a pile of knitting patterns free to good homes and I found a lovely baby one which I shall definitely use shortly when I have finished the one I am knitting.

Another stall sold her usual cards and jig-saws so I bought the farmer a jig-saw of skaters, which I have a feeling he will start tonight after Strictly.

And there was the usual food stall run by A, who usually makes Turkey Lasagne, which I always buy and put in my freezer.   She hadn't made any this time but she did have excellent small cakes - these were square and iced (mine had a snowman on top) and will lead me nicely into the Christmas period should anyone call for a cup of coffee.

Home again now.  The farmer is still out shooting
and after baking myself two jacket potatoes and eating them with butter (absolutely my favourite meal - I have simple tastes food-wise) I now have Christmas cake number two in the oven and the timer says there are ten minutes to go before it is time to look at it - so off I shall go.

Hopefully I will be back tomorrow.

9 comments:

Heather said...

That sounds like a very enjoyable and satisfying day. Enjoy Strictly - I have become a fan since watching to see how Greg Rutherford and his partner got on. Sad to see him go, but the judges are quite right and very fair.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend your day. Here, we have Christmas craft shows which would be comparable to what you described. -Jenn

Librarian said...

Sounds lovely and very Christmassy! I'd love to pop in for a cup of coffee and help you with the cakes you bought this morning :-) But I'd also love to try a proper Christmas cake - I've never had one, as far as I know.

donna baker said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. I'd love to shop there rather than the big department stores. And, I've still lots of shopping to do. Haven't started Christmas baking yet, so I could make the sugar cookies and freeze to decorate later. Thanks for the idea.

angryparsnip said...

I think this was a lovely day out.
You have mentioned the square Christmas cakes before , they sound lovely.
You and John both live in most wonderful villages.

cheers, parsnip

Joanne Noragon said...

A baked potato with butter sounds like heaven.

Rachel Phillips said...

Perhaps you would explain to some of your readers overseas that many lovely communities exist throughout Great Britain such as you describe be they part of big cities, small villages or towns in the middle of nowhere. They are here with lots of lovely people everywhere.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I never come across these little fayres! Maybe our churches are too big here!

Derek Faulkner said...

Pat's excellent blog about life in her local area in the Yorkshire Dales does already, in it's own simple way, describe and confirm to her numerous readers that there still exists a lovely community spirit in some parts of Britain.