Monday 1 September 2014

Susan Hill's Writing.

Do you know the work of Susan Hill?   If not I can really recommend it to you for a good read.   I rarely find one book of hers in the Library which I haven't read, but on Saturday morning I found one.  It is 'The Various Haunts of Men' (the title is a quotation from George Crabbe 'The various haunts of men require the pencil, they defy the pen.'It is a Simon Serrailler mystery and if you like the books of Ruth Rendell, you will like these.  I found it quite unputdownable and even got up to read it when I couldn't sleep last night (this meant a two hour sleep this afternoon as I was shattered).

Please note that I have gone on to less bold type - hope everyone can still read it.   I am thinking about redesigning my whole page but hardly dare in case I lose the whole lot.   Courage is needed.

10 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

I've tried and tried to get into her crime books with no luck - no idea why.
I expect you've seen her non fiction Through the Kitchen window, magic apple tree and Howards end is on the landing, all of those I've read and enjoyed.

Heather said...

I read your post easily. I often think about improving my blog but don't have the skill and, as the saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't mend it!
I must look out for those books as I do like Ruth Rendell's work.

Canadian Chickadee said...

Yes! I love her books. The characters are so interesting to follow through all their life changes as the series goes on. I think she has a new one coming out later this fall, and I can't wait! xoxox

angryparsnip said...

I am not sure how you type looks on other blogs but I can read it easily !
I must check this series out. I am trying to get my eyes and brain working again.
Maybe this might be the book !

cheers, parsnip

Frugal in Derbyshire said...

I've got her The Magic Apple Tree and Through the Kitchen Window, but have never read anything else by her. I return to Through the Kitchen Window again and again, it is so evocative.
I don't read a lot of novels really, though I am enjoying Anthony Trollop's The Eustace Diamonds at the moment.

mrsnesbitt said...

Sounds good Pat - I'll have a word with the girls on the mobile library van next Monday. Fantastic people - they go out of their way to source books we ask them to look out for. All plants planted! Woo oo!

thelma said...

If she is the 'Magic Apple Tree' Susan Hill l love her, need more books to read as well.
Pat, second time this has happened, short burst of music when I come on to your site,plus someone talking. Don't know if it is just me or the new computer.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for calling in.

Jayview said...

I have enjoyed her Simon Serralier series although once of twice she had people doing things that just didn't seem on character. Did you think that at all? Jean

Gwil W said...

Go on Pat. Take the plunge! Do your redesign! You can check it as you go. Come to think of it. I might do something along those lines too. After all, it's a new season, so we have a good reason to change our setups-