Tuesday 10 June 2014


Rosa Canina - the dog rose - surely the most beautiful of all our British Wild Flowers, is out at last.   The first flowers spotted today on the wall by the paddock when I went for a walk after lunch with Tess.   I am sorry I couldn't get nearer to take a better photograph but there is a ditch between the wall and the grass verge.   But here it is in all its beauty and simplicity.

The farmer has a new toy - it came this morning and he is already playing with it, mowing the grass by the Scot;s Pines.   After lunch he decided to go into the field to mow the grass between the Christmas Trees.   The gateway into the field is very muddy, where the young heifers have paddled it up, but he decided that if he had 'a good run at it' he could surf through the mud and reach firm ground.   Within minutes he was back in the yard for his little grey Fergie to push the mower out of the mud.  I haven't seen him since, so I hope he is happily mowing up and down.
Three stories for the price of one today.   Here is a photograph of our Friday morning 'coven' in the Coffee House.   One of the Bistro staff took the photograph.  It is our weekly meeting and none of us would miss it for the world - a good natter and a meeting of friends keeps us going.  I am back row on the right (in the navy blue jacket).

Until tomorrow.

13 comments:

Heather said...

That's a lovely natural group photo Pat. Hope the farmer got his new toy out of the mud without too much trouble. I love wild roses too - those on The Gower had smaller finer leaves and perfect little cream flowers about the size of a two pence piece.

angryparsnip said...

Oh I just love this post today !
Lovely group of friends, lovely wild rose (you are so lucky) and I want the farmers new toy. But I only have dirt and cactus to mow.
Wonder if the farmer mowed all the way to the village.

cheers, parsnip

Sue in Suffolk said...

I do hope he didn't get the new toy dirty when he got stuck in the mud!

Gwil W said...

Your composition of thorny rose and barbed wire is perfect, good that you didn't hop that ditch, Pat!

Loren said...

Beautiful rose, but, being a man, I think I prefer the "lawn mower."

Hildred said...

Here we have the wild rose, - the flower looks very much like your Dog Rose but the leaves are different. The scent is glorious - like nothing else on earth!!!

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

I once had to visit a patient during a 32 inch snowfall. Husband hollers in the door, "I can get you through it!" And, by golly, he did. However, he and the Farmer could be related re; your stuck in the mud story. I can just picture the whole thing.

Cro Magnon said...

That is a SERIOUS mower; it makes my 'Rory' look like a toy.

I love those Dog Roses too, we still have lots in flower.

MorningAJ said...

I've not seen many dog roses round here this year. The ox eye daisies are out in force though. Summer is beautiful isn't it?

Dartford Warbler said...

Our dog roses are out too. Such delicate. lovely flowers.

I hope the Farmer has as much fun with his mower as Mr DW does with his!

It is good to meet friends regularly.

Pondside said...

Aha - I recognised you before I read your identifying words!
The Great Dane can spend hours on his ride-on mower too.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for visiting.

Crafty Green Poet said...

nice photo of your group!

I love dog roses too, I just posted a couple of photos in my blog today in fact