Tuesday 17 June 2014

We have gone yellow!

Our little market town has gone yellow.   A fortnight on Saturday (July 5th) the Tour de France whizzes through and the whole town is coming out in support.

All window boxes, tubs and hanging baskets were planted with yellow flowers by the council yesterday - I watched them being done and now they have a fortnight to fill out and get more blooms on them.

There is bunting everywhere.   Some of it is just a series of yellow triangles, some is bunting made in the shape of tiny shirts - yellow, white and red and white spotted alternately.  Posters saying 'Leyburn welcomes the Tour de France' have appeared on the fronts of shops and the shop windows are full of yellow items and miniature bikes with riders (all for sale of course).

A local craft group have completely covered a bike with knitting in bright colours, including yellow of course.  One of the group (G) sent me a photograph; it is in my computer somewhere - trouble is that I can't find it.   However, the bike (very colourful and jolly) is now in the window of the most prominent hardware shop in the town, so when I next go in I shall take a photograph of it there.

There is already an air of expectancy in the town.  It can only build over the next two weeks.  I am beginning to catch it myself, but at the moment the wedding of my grand-daughter (June 28th) takes precedence for excitement.   I remember thinking when she was a tiny girl, 'I wonder if I shall still be here when she marries' - well it looks as though I shall be unless something catastrophic happens in the next ten days!!

9 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue in Suffolk said...

There was a bit on the local news the other day about the lack of excitement in Essex for the Tour passing through and our friends live in Finchingfield right beside the road where they will bike and they said that there is no sign at all that anything is happening there in July. Even the potholes have not been repaired yet. Although they have had a note to tell them that they are not allowed out of their road by car from 7am onwards. I'm glad that is a bit more fervour in Yorkshire.

Heather said...

It sounds as if Yorkshire is all ready for the Tour, and the riders will get a warm welcome.
Hope the weather is kind for your grand-daughter's wedding, and take good care of yourself to make sure you attend!

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

You shall be at your granddaughter's wedding (!!!) with bells on. I decree it! :)
I am also going to a wedding on the 28th, but it's not my granddaughter's as she is only three. ;)

angryparsnip said...

Wow I think this is great. Please take some photos. I can't wait to see the bike.
I can't remember what town in the South that a blog friend lives in but last summer they knitted everything. All kinds of knitting styles were on trees, benches, light poles, fences it was grand. If I can find one of her post I will try to post it.
Have a lovely time at the wedding.

cheers, parsnip

Gwil W said...

I 'spect there'll be some yeller baa lambs aboot on t'day

ArtPropelled said...

It all sounds very festive. Such a good idea to yarn-bomb the bike for the Tour de France. I'm sure you will enjoy every moment of your grand daughter's wedding.Looking forward to reading a few snippets about it later.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hope Gwil is right and we do get a few yellow sheep around on the day.
Thanks for popping in.

miniARTtour said...

love to read this .. thanks and much best ..