Monday 25 March 2024

Smaller crisis

 I have never been a very practical person.   I am just about one step ahead of those old ladies who, when electricity was first put into homes, stuck Elastoplast over the socket holes when they unplugged everything before going to bed at night.   Gas scares me stiff.  Believe it or not, living here in my bungalow is the first time I have had anything to do with a gas appliance since the Bunsen Burner days of Science at Grammar School in the nineteen forties and I was always scared stiff of the things.  (Looking at my school reports for Science would tell any good teacher that I needed help with learning to apply myself to coping with gas!)

I think I have given you enough background for you to imagine my horror when I saw that the smoke alarm on my hall ceiling had come away from the ceiling and was hanging by a wire which disappeared into the false roof.  6.30pm on a Sunday evening!

I rang my son who assured me it would be alright until this morning but I was, to say the least, uneasy.   Finally, plucking up courage to disturb him on a Sunday evening, I rang P, the electrician. He assured me the bungalow wouldn't burn down overnight and he would come this morning.  He then rang back to say 'Just don't play tennis in the hall until I have looked at it.'

On the doorstep at 9am, he came in with his steps, took it down, ensured that the wire (covered with blue plastic and disappearing into the roof-space) was not connected to anything on the other end.   He had gone by 9.15!   There is another smoke alarm next to where it was - that has a ten year guarantee and will then need replacing.   Crisis over.

So, in a relatively short space of time, I have had a)ridge tiles on my roof re-concreted in; b)garage ceiling re done; c) valve replaced on Worcester gas boiler; d) old smoke alarm removed.   I need a lie down.

After two days of brilliant sunshine when, unless you stepped outside into a brisk, bitterly cold, sharp wind, you felt like shouting 'Spring has finally sprung' we are back to grey, barely light, neither raining or not raining - just miserable damp stuff. All the dogs going past are back in their Winter jackets and their owners hooded, scarved and gloved.  Wellies are not uncommon.

So it is good to sit here, two jumpered, and look out on red, yellow, cream and purple winter primroses, golden tete-a-tete daffodils, patches of dwarf tulips in a bright pink - plus the bright pink flower that has established itself everywhere but is so far nameless,  and stop typing long enough to warm my hands on the hot radiator by my side.   Sorry folks but Winter is having its last hurrah before Spring finally shoves it to one side.

Pity the poor farmers down the Eastern side of the country - Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex in particular - where the land is so very wet - in many cases under water still.   Farmers are a hardy breed and I suppose they have seen it all before, but it is soul-destroying apart from in many cases being hard on the bank-balance.

Until tomorrow dear friends.

30 comments:

Sue said...

They say things come in threes but you have obviously had a fourth thrown in for good measure. Hopefully you will be able to sleep safe in your bed from now on with nothing else deciding to 'give up the ghost' in the near future.

After two days of cold but gloriously sunny weather we are back to very heavy rain and the puddles at the roadside are back immediately. Even the ducks along the canal towpath this morning were sheltering under the hedges to get out of the rain.

the veg artist said...

My best friend is similarly impractical with added blind spots for maths and cooking. I once gave her a really easy recipe for boiled fruit cake. She managed to set the smoke alarm off, having not added the water to the mixture!

JayCee said...

It was sunny but freezing here yesterday but is wet and windy now today.
Spring!

Barbara Anne said...

Mercy! What a rebellion of the various helpful small appliances that usually make your life better or safer. Have you recently broken a mirror? Just kidding!

It is wonderful you have such calm and reliable tradesmen to fix each problem as it arose.

Perhaps you need an extra Kit-Kat today, just for sustenance?

Hugs!

Debby said...

"Don't play tennis in the front hall..." He is reliable AND funny to boot!

Ellen D. said...

Yes, you have a good crew nearby to help you out when something goes wrong. Thank goodness for that. Rest easy and enjoy your flowers, Pat!

gz said...

At least when things don't behave it means another face around the house..a nice change!
Memories of Flanders and Swann...."It all makes work for the working man to do" ?!
The flowers are saying "it is Spring...honest"!!

Heather said...

Glad all your badly behaved appliances have been put right. I have an electric fire with a coal and flame effect. Recently it began making a repetitive noise, quite friendly at first but then it got louder. My grandson fixed it immediately by tilting it very slightly and putting a little wedge of cardboard under the front feet. I had been imagining it going bang and blowing all the fuses! With hindsight I think when I vacuum I must nudge the little platform that it stands on, and over time it tilted the wrong way.
So pleased you have your beautiful garden to cheer you on dismal days.

Susan said...

They say things happen in 3's. It appears you got the bonus round with 4. I am glad everything, for the moment, is put right. It is cool here too and the heat still comes on at night. Spring will eventually bring warmer weather. A nice moderate warmth would be great.

Tasker Dunham said...

You get my prize for the most amusing line of the day: "Believe it or not, living here in my bungalow is the first time I have had anything to do with a gas appliance since the Bunsen Burner days of Science at Grammar School in the nineteen forties".

Joanne Noragon said...

Good weather is coming back. We made the seventies today, though more cold is coming tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

An amusing glimpse into your world Weave,where you as always, rise to the challenges. Interesting to read what's happening weather-wise on the other side of the world. Thanks for sharing. -Pam.

Librarian said...

I find gas scary, too, and am always a bit uneasy at ‚our‘ cottage in Ripon when it is my turn to cook - it has a gas cooker, completely different from my electric one at home. But so far I have managed not to blow up half of Coltsgate Hill!

Cro Magnon said...

We used to extinguish our Bunsen Burners then blow down the tube. It would instantly put all the others out too. What fun we had.

thelma said...

I saw this morning that the farmers are also fed up with the environmental issue of allowing more farm land back to nature and are saying that there will be less grain and vegetables this year. But I am sure we will all manage. Carrot cake is delicious ;)

Rachel Phillips said...

In an ideal world you would have taken husband number 3.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Cro - Boys will be boys!

Tasker - Three cheers for Aga ranges!!!

Heather - I have a 'flame effect. electric fire. I have recently had to replace it because the bearings on the fan made such a noise I got fed up with visitors asking me what the noise was. On very wet days I put a table lamp and the magic flames on to cheer up the room.

Barara Ann I am not buying Kit Kats at the moment. My friend T, who does all kind of things around the house for me, has recently had a heart attack. He has had stents fitted and has been given a diet sheet - no biscuits. His partner and I are managing with difficulty to keep him offf them by not buying them in the first place.

Thanks everyone.

Anonymous said...


You are a very good friend. I would still buy Kit Kats and just hide them from the friend when he visited. Of course that would be more difficult for his partner but I would most likely hide them if my husband could no longer have a treat we both enjoy. Jackie

Jacque from Colorado said...

Greetings, Wog! I always enjoy accompanying you on your mental ramblings, your latest post no exception as you reminisce about--the good ol' days? My auntie, the one who "spouted poetry" on the bus tour across Europe years ago, used to say, "The best thing about the good old days is that they're gone!" Wondering if you would agree with that?... I feel I'm 'merging' into upper middle-age when I find myself being critical of certain changes in the world and thinking, "When I was a kid..." and start comparing 'then' and 'now'. And then I wonder what today's youth will look back on as their "good old days"...

Jacque from Colorado said...

PS There must be a way for you to support your friend without denying yourself the pleasure of a daily Kit-Kat!

Tom Stephenson said...

I know people who have been so frustrated with cheap battery-powered smoke detectors setting alarms off every time they sense a bit of toast going brown that they permanently removed the batteries.

Fresca said...

UNrelated to this post:
I’ve long wondered about your blog title “Weaver of grass”. I finally looked it up this morning and found it only in references to Angus McPhee —
is that who your title refers to?

anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anonymous said...

If you look at Pat's earliest posts you will see one she wrote titled Weaver of Grass.. I believe she wrote that poem and title of her blog based on what she saw in the fields.I dont don't think it has anything to do with Angus McPhee. -Mary

Rachel Phillips said...

May Day 1 May 2021 post explains the blog name. Weave has explained it many times. That post is the most reason.I could tell you but I will leave you to read it Fresca. If you put May Day in the white strip at the top left and search it will take you to it fairly quickly.

Fresca said...

Thanks Mary—I’ll search again ❤️

Fresca said...

Oh, thanks for the specifics, Rachel! I’ll look it up ❤️

Fresca said...

Oh, lovely! The spiders are the weavers, Pat wrote,
“threading their strands through the grass
so that at evening,
when the sun is low
it shines though the silken threads
and shimmers in the fading light
and makes a field of gossamer.”

I’m so glad I asked and you were kind enough to direct me to the answer!
(I’ve only been reading this blog maybe a year.)

Fresca said...

Found it through Rachel, below!

Amanda said...

My father used to call daffodils dummy-dils because they came up so early and got frost-bit so often.