Tuesday 27 September 2022

A Timely Haircut

Well today has been the day.   A "bitter" day to quote my carer I must say I have an unlikely thickness of layers on for September - added a fleece to yesterday - but at nine this morning my gardener walked past my window in his shirt sleeves with his hedge-cutter aloft.   And by lunch time all my hedges had been cut, their tops had been aligned and the whole place was neat and tidy for the winter.   I have to keep going to look out of the window to make sure how good it looks.

Next a giant thank- you to Debby for continuing to write to me having assured me that she will continue to do so although she understands that I no longer feel able to write back.   Debby I love receiving your lovely long newsy letters - I read them over and over again but being realistic at my age writing my blog almost every day is about as much as I can manage.   But your letters are truly appreciated.

I have to say I too 'enjoyed' HM the Queen's funeral.   I watched it all day and I do agree that as a nation we do those sort of things well.   I also loved your story abour Mandela - if it was in our TV version I missed it.

On the subject of gifts(I probably put this on my blog at the time) but when my six year old great grand daughter came a few weeks ago I wrapped up six little gifts and hid them in the sitting room.    She had to find all six and then she could open them - the pleasure it gave her to search and find them and the pleasure  it gave me watching her open them made the whole thing more than worthwhile.  I am speaking inexpensive gifts - a ballet tutu; a pencil case; a set of .from 3H through to 3B pencils; a packet of crayons and a sketch book all inexpensive from Amazon,  I added a small pack of sweets and that was it.  I shall certainly  do it again.

Just to end by saying our thoughts are with Canada and the terrible storm.  I will be back tomorrow - I am having my ears 'serviced' in the morning.

19 comments:

Heather said...

I am wrapped up too and glad I put the duvet back on my bed last night.
I can imagine the pleasure you got from watching your little great-granddaughter looking for those gifts. The youngest members of one's family bring so much joy.
I had my hair cut last week. It is so much easier to cope with when short.

Derek Faulkner said...

Well it has been a tad chilly down here as well, with a cold wind coming in off the Thames Estuary. Can't be long before those people that complained about it being too hot in the summer, begin complaining about it being too cold now.
I had a thorough check of all the fleets and ditches on the reserve today and 70% of them are bone dry with dry and cracked bottoms. That's the most extensive that I've seen drought here in my 36 years as a Vol. Warden. Imagine how much aquatic wildlife has been lost - water shrimps, sticklebacks, etc ect.

jinxxxygirl said...

You must have another Debby that writes you Pat besides me? I'm glad you like receiving the letters. Snail mail is such a wonderful thing... Those who have not partaken of it know not what they miss.. The joy of receiving something in the mail that is not a bill or junk mail.. or something you have bought on Amazon.. is just a pleasure.. Stay warm dear friend.. Hugs! Debs

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks Debs - I have anothr fried indeed - you are both much- appreciated.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Now this terrible storm racing up the coast of US and people queuing for sandbags and others being evacuated Let's hope things turn out less devastating than expected.

Brenda said...

I am being evacuated…have son about a mile with his family and strong house.I am in a small condo on the coast in Palm harbor FL

Granny Sue said...

Thinking of all Florida son today. My son is in Miami and we love to visit your beautiful state. I hope you and your home both stay safe.

Granny Sue said...

Cold here in West Virginia today too, barely reached 60 and in the 40s at night. I love it, but it is unusual for us to be this cool so early

Granny Sue said...

I should add, very dry here, very little rain since the first week of the month. We are having to water perennials. Never have i ever had to water in September.

Margaret said...

Hi Pat, here in New Zealand we are welcoming Spring and a rise in temperature. My lawns need mowing more regularly but the garden gives pleasure. I know very little about gardening but the roses have somehow survived my care and pruning and look to be a good show this year. Something to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Heather's comment that the youngest in the family bring so much joy. I had silently given up on having a grandchild and lived life accordingly. Now that she is here, and a happy little toddler, the pleasure is immense, even if it is hard at 70, to keep up with her on the days we look after her.
The two great grandmothers in their nineties, are delighted also, first and only great grandchild for my Mum.
Spring continues to be cold here with saturated soil and the heater on most of the time.
My mother slipped and fell on her neighbour's wet verandah recently - a worry.
She has a medic-button alert, but wasn't wearing it, and wasn't using her walker.
Pam, Sth Aust.

Susan said...

The joy that children bring is heartwarming. Watching them explore, learn and delight in experiences is always enjoyable. I hope you have another visit soon. For the end of September, our weather continues very mild and sunny. I am working to close the garden. Soon enough, it will be cold days and nights.

Joanne Noragon said...

Oh, the season of cold has begun, and it won't be worse until December and won't end until April.

Debby said...

You are so welcome!

Librarian said...

Having your ears "serviced" means a trip to Ripon, right? Please wave hello from me to the obelisk on the market square!
It's a wet and chilly week here, and I don't leave the house without raincoat or umbrella. In the mornings and evenings, I put the heating on in the room where I am at the time; bathroom first, of course, then my Third Room (study, where I work) and in the evening, the living room. So far, I have not needed the heating on in the bedroom, but I think I am going to change to my winter duvet soon.

Rachel Phillips said...

Yes, you spoke at length and often about the presents for the great grand-daughter and if you think hard about it you may recall that the idea for the tutu skirt came from me, Rachel. Have a good day.

Melinda from Ontario said...

The Canadian news has been filed with images and videos of Hurricane Fiona and the destruction she caused. I grew up near the ocean in one of the provinces where Fiona hit. After watching videos of houses on the shoreline sliding into the ocean, I found myself less enamoured with the idea of buying a cottage on the shore. I'm sure that daydream will return one day but for now, I'm content to be landlocked.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - I understand the tutu is still very popular with my greatgrand daughter.
Melinda I agree- when I see the appalling images I am glad to live far from the coast.
Librarian - I waved to the obelisk for you.
Pam - we have to be stern with our selves about medic buttons.
Brenda - thinking of you.

Rachel Phillips said...

Little girls around here like them.