Saturday 13 August 2022

Too hot to think

 My brain seems to have totally shut down bit by bit over the last few days so that I can   really not think straight.   A light breeze has 'broken out' as the afternoon has worn on and there  appears to be a subtle change somewhere - oh I do hope so because I find this  weather quite distressing.   There appear to be a few sun-worshippers around considering the number of folk 'of a certain age' passing by in knee-length shorts ;and a variety of sun hats have cropped up.some of which I guess have not seen the light of day for a fair number of years.

I love watching them pass by.   My father had an expression - 'when to the age of forty they come, men go to belly and women to bum'.   There is a  section of the very fit, who pass at a rate of knots, wearing the shortest of shorts, light vests and trainers or 'safe' sandals and all I would guess under forty.  Then  the belly v bum begins to slide into the scene and on the whole gets worse with age.  And of course there are the folk who have always looked after their bodies and continue to do so.   I wish I fell into the latter category.   My weight stays more or less the same and my dress size too but there do seem to be bits of me which have sunk south.

My carer's salad for my lunch today was absolutely delicious - it was a salad of sliced pre-cooked sausage (chorizo would have been equally good), cubed new potatoes  boiled and then crisped up. cubed cucumber, cocktail tomatoes, halved green grapes, sweet corn, an eating apple (red-skinned for colour) diced, and diced blue stilton.   I dressed it with yoghourt with mint dressing.   I could eat it every day in this weather.

A new programme begins this evening on Channel Four of Griff Rees-Jones travelling across Canada..  The farmer and I did just that over the years for our annual holiday -the only one left we intended to do was up the coast to Alaska - but it was not to be.   It should bring back some happy memories even though they will be tinged with sadness...

See you tomorrow.

13 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

Living just five minutes from the beach I see far more than a "few sun worshipers", it has been packed this last few days with all manner of scantily clad people, including topless women. With a constant, cooling breeze coming straight off the sea it has been the best place to be and much better than the furnace that is my garden. It has been high tide early afternoon and so I have cycled along there and enjoyed some lovely refreshing swims each day and will do the same tomorrow.

The Feminine Energy said...

I hope you folks get a cool-down soon, Weaver. Here in northern-most Indiana we seem to almost be in early autumn, it's so cool. 71*F (21*C) at almost noon? Unheard of in this area for mid-August but... here it is! We have a whopper of a storm predicted for this afternoon, starting about 5pm. We'll see if it materializes. Take good care~ Andrea xoxo

Debby said...

It has gone from hot to dropping down into the 40s at night. Such a relief. Hope you get relief soon.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I envy you those sea breezws Derek

Susan said...

The heat has been terrible. If you can install heat pumps in your home, I highly recommend it. They will provide heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. There is no predicting our future weather and I believe we will have to be prepared for extreme heat and cold going forward.

Joanne Noragon said...

We have cooled down. Hope you do, soon.

Red said...

Well, you've considered things quite well even if it is too hot to think.

Cro Magnon said...

We are promised some light rain and maybe thunder for today. We were promised the same for last night, but it didn't happen.

Rachel Phillips said...

You don't seem to have shut down. A bit of poetic licence I suppose. Cool off for a while and come back when you feel better.

Mimijean2001@aol.com said...

So love your dads saying … I have wrote it down so I don’t forget ..thanks for sharing

Tom Stephenson said...

A wise saying from your father. I hope this comment makes it through - lots of others haven't.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone - much cooler today

Maree Clarkson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.