Saturday 20 July 2019

Saturday

Thank you to everyone who sent commiserations on my brush with ill health.   Sadly this is what happens when eighty is past (much younger for some people - I am lucky).   I am certainly not feeling myself at all but there is no need for me to do much and I am still finding enough appetite for meals out!  I have already chatted to the Taxi lady and fixed up some appointments with her before she goes off on ten day's holiday and my next mission is to track down a Bus Timetable.   The bus into town (only a mile away) stops at the end of my road.   Then I intend to look into walking aids with wheels so that I might find it easier to walk a bit further and do some journeys on foot.

We have had some rain although not as much as many other places.   But all the plants in the garden look happier and have certainly had a drink.   They must make the most of it because we are promised temperatures of thirty next week.   I shall go to earth if this happens.   Hot weather and I do not mix and never have done.

I have had a quiet day today,   The electrician has been fixing the new lights in my kitchen.   The actual lights are on order and should be here by next week-end, so two wires are sticking out of the  ceiling in my kitchen and all is ready for the LED lights to be fitted when they arrive.  Another good job done by next week-end with any luck.
Apart from three walk with Tess - morning, lunch time and tea time - I have spent a large part of the day reading.   First of all my Book Group Book - a book of essays written by Immigrants to this country and called 'The Good Immigrant' and then, when my son called this afternoon with his wife, they had been into the book shop in our nearby town of Richmond and he had picked up a book he ordered and he brought it for me to read first.   Since then I have been reading Derek Jarman's   'Modern Nature' which is about his life and his special garden on the shingle.   It was written after he contracted (and was dying of) Aids.   I am finding it fascinating reading. But I must be stern with myself - The Good Immigrant has to be finished before the first Monday in August.

Hopefully more rain is forecast overnight before the heatwave sets in.   Let's hope it is forthcoming here - we definitely need it.

24 comments:

justjill said...

Thanks for your kind comment to me. I use a lightweight three wheeled walker. Lightweight so easy to fold and put it behind the passenger seat or if you have no problems with lifting, in the boot. I have it as when I become breathless i can stop, lean over and get control of breathing. But it is ace for mobility. You can buy them online and they are not expensive, cant remember but round about £60?

angryparsnip said...

Happy to know you are going to look into walkers. I have used one for years, Mine is four wheels with a seat and it really helps me.
I would really like to be able to use one like @justill But I need a stronger one.
The book your son gave you sounds so interesting that I am going to look it up.
Hope you get your rain. Ours will be here monday evening.
parsnip x

Tom Stephenson said...

Derek Jarman loved living in the comparative desolation of the Essex coast. Dungeness is a bleak but great area.

Joanne Noragon said...

It has rained here a triffling bit, but no dent in the heat wave.

Terra said...

Nice all your plants have had a drink. I won't tell Bounce that Tess had THREE walks in one day, he gets two and I don't want him to be jealous!

Derek Faulkner said...

You will feel really re-assured using one of those three-wheeled walkers, my partner's mother has one and they are brilliant for getting you about and so easy to fold up out of the way.
Dungeness is like Tom says, a bleak and strange place, like nothing else you'll come across in this country. It sticks out into the English Channel in Kent, about twenty five miles from where I live. The famous Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch light railway runs through it.

thelma said...

Derek Jarman's garden was so famous at one time, must read the book you mentioned. Admire how you are tackling not driving your car with practical ideas about getting around, so very you...

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

You can find public transport details here:
https://www.traveline.info or just Google "traveline".
Also may be worth investigating if your local council does anything to provide transport for those with mobility issues.
I hope your soon feeling better, though I know that the warm weather is tiring.

Librarian said...

Good to hear you were having a quiet day for a change - you are always so busy and active, which is good of course, but a restful day every now and then is certainly not wrong.
We've had rain during the night, I had all windows open as it had been 31C during the day, and had to quickly get up and dash about the flat to shut those windows where the rain was coming in.

Bovey Belle said...

I remember that garden - quite a challenge I should imagine. I bet that is an interesting book. Good to hear you are sitting and reading - we all need a quiet day now and again. I know what it's like to have a Distraction of Books though!!

I think you have got yourself very organized already and that stroller sounds a great idea for helping mobility. (Talking of which, I made it up our steep hill yesterday. YAY!!)

Heather said...

Several of the other women in my complex of flats use strollers. They find them so useful for a bit of support as well as independence, allowing them to do much of their own shopping.
We had a daylong deluge on Friday down here. The road was all but under water for most of the day, but everywhere is looking greener and the air smelled so fresh.
I loved Derek Jarman's garden and was amazed at the plants he managed to grow it what could be quite a harsh environment. I must look out for that book.
I too will be looking for a cool cave next week!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks to you all. I have been advised to get a four wheel walker if I wish to take Tess with me as they are more stable. I am looking for one with a basket for a bit of shopping and a seat so that I can have a rest.

Rachel Phillips said...

Well I like Jarman for his films and his ability to always make something that could have been dull into something amazing. I have his film of Wittgenstein on DVD beside me now. A masterpiece. He did the same with his garden I suppose.

Mary said...

Keeping you close in thought and hoping you will soon feel much better.
Hugs, Mary

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

So sorry to visit and find out you've been feeling poorly. I'm sending you all good wishes for better days soon. Cooler ones, too.
xx

Beverley said...

Ask your GP to get you an Occupational Therapy appointment. They will advise on walking aids.

the veg artist said...

Being from wet West Wales, where everything is lush and green, Derek Jarman's garden is as far away from my experience of gardening as it's possible to be, I think. I have driven along that road, and whilst I found it fascinating, and loved the bleakness and quiet, it must have been really difficult to keep any plant alive in that shingle and salty air.

Gwil W said...

Good luck with your walker or walking aids. As the saying goes use it or lose it. Moving as you know is very very important for the circulation etc.. I have a Garmin 235 watch which buzzes if it thinks I've been sitting too long to remind me to move about for a few minutes.

Jean Ellen said...

My mother who is 98 went through a spell this spring where she fell and hit her head quite badly. Took her to the hospital, but when she got home, she had what we thought were small seizures. Actually, it was her heart briefly stopping. She got fitted with a pacemaker and has a new lease on life. It is good to find the cause because if it can be fixed, it sure eases the mind. Good health to you.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Feeling much better now thanks to everyone boosting my wittery self!

Oklahoma Girl said...

I don't think I have ever posted but have followed your blog for a very long time. I enjoy reading about your days and all about Tess. I have much admiration for you. You seem to be a very strong woman and never let anything get you down. I look forward to your daily posts.

Take care and keep on keepin' on.

Ruth said...

Missing you and hoping all is well!!

Bea said...

May you find the walking aid you both need and like!

Greetings from SF,
Bea x

Derek Faulkner said...

Very hot here on Sheppey and quite enjoying it. Had an early morning walk on the reserve and have had a couple of cycle rides along the sea front.